PDA

View Full Version : new marlins

monge
05-12-2012, 02:35 PM
I was at the gun shop today saw a couple of marlin 45-70 giude guns brand new the workmanship looked great the barrel stamping were conn. Are these old stock or is remmington making them in conn. What do you guys think of them ? THANKS FOR FEED BACK JOE

Hardcast416taylor
05-12-2012, 03:09 PM
My guess would be either new old stock just getting on the shelf or rifles being made using Conn. made parts.Robert

TXGunNut
05-12-2012, 03:24 PM
I'd describe it as a "transition" gun. Did you check the barrel marking near the receiver? I think that's been an important point for some folks, "JM" on the left side is the older marking, IIRC the new ones are marked "RP" on the right side signifying the new ownership. I only have "old" Marlins but wouldn't be afraid of a "transition" Remlin and am looking forward to owning a "new" Remlin from the new plant.

Lead Fred
05-12-2012, 04:23 PM
If it dont say "JM" its a Remlin

ReloaderFred
05-12-2012, 09:33 PM
A good friend has one of the Remington made Marlin 1894's in .44 Magnum. It's about the most accurate .44 Magnum rifle I've ever shot, and I've got several of them. Remington has always had a good reputation for accurate barrels, so if they apply that to the new Marlins, it will be a plus in my book.

Hope this helps.

Fred

monge
05-13-2012, 07:05 AM
The new plant is in the south I believe, I live in the northeast and I wouldnt want to manufacture here ! the cost of living is so HIGH it almost to expensive to breath!

Ed in North Texas
05-13-2012, 09:46 AM
The new plant is in the south I believe, I live in the northeast and I wouldnt want to manufacture here ! the cost of living is so HIGH it almost to expensive to breath!

Remington has at least a couple of plants down here. IIRC the one in Arkansas (just east of Little Rock) is manufacturing ammo. Forget where the new one is located.

But, from what I've read, the Marlin operation was moved to Ilion, NY. Can't say I personally know this to be true.

Ed

frnkeore
05-13-2012, 10:38 AM
If you were asking how the new Remlins are, I handled one about a month ago (made my Rem in NY) and I was pleasently supprised. The metal work looked good but, the stock looked cheap.

Now we need reports on how they shoot.

Frank