PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 44 mag mold recommendation

Lunarphase
05-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Hope I'm posting this in the right location.

Any Marlin 1894 shooters out there? I'm looking for a recommendation on a 44 mag mold.
I plan on shooting them through a Marlin 1894CB.

Thanks for your input,
Lunar

RobS
05-12-2012, 01:27 PM
What are your plans?............hunting, paper punching and/or both?

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-12-2012, 01:33 PM
I have a 1894s
I use a Ranch Dog mold
http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_5_12
Jon

Lunarphase
05-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Sorry, good question, I should have given that info.
Hunting. Hogs, some whitetail but mostly hogs.
I'll be shooting two 1894CB's one with 20" bbl and other with 24" bbl
I haven't slugged them but may get the chance over the weekend.

also, it would be best if I could shoot them as they are dropped, but I could always get a Lee push through sizer if recommended with mold. Let me know what you do.

Thanks again
Lunar

Moondawg
05-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Being as the majority of Marlin 44 mag rifle/carbines have bores that grove diameter starts and .432 and may go to .433, like mine. You may want to investigate the custom mold makers, and get a mold that casts a .433 bullet. Also your rifle may or may not feed semi wad cutters, so you probably will want a RNFP boollit with a meplate of at least .300. Marlins also have very slow twist, so anything over 300gr is questionable. Anything else from 200 gr to about 275 ought to work well, depending upon if it is big enough to fit your bore.
Good luck with your Marlin 44

Moondawg
05-12-2012, 01:42 PM
BTW, Accurate molds makes some really nice made to order molds, and has lots of boolit designs for 44. I hear Ranchdog molds are good, if you like aluminium molds.

monge
05-12-2012, 02:37 PM
For long guns RANCH DOG MOLDS are the way to go !

troy_mclure
05-12-2012, 03:16 PM
i use lyman 429421 in my ruger sbh, my buddy uses the same boolit unsized(.432) and 45/45/10 lubed in his Henry.

Kraschenbirn
05-12-2012, 03:49 PM
While I don't hunt with it, my 1894 carbine (MG) seems to get along just fine with the Lee 429-200-RF. After beagling a bit, my DC mould drops .433/214 grs. from 50/50 range scrap & WWs and, loaded to approximate factory .44-40s, will easily produce 2"-2 1/2" (iron-sighted) groups @ 50M with no significant leading.

Bill

btw...I, too, tumble-lube my beagled Lee boolits with 45/45/10.

DragoonDrake
05-12-2012, 05:58 PM
I don't hunt with mine but I do shoot the saeco 265 rnfp gc bullet out of mine very well. Off hand irons at 25 yards has been one hole groups. I shoot a lot of h110 with my marlin. My marlin is a cs though and not a cb.

Larry Gibson
05-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Lyman's Devastator has recieved some very good reviews from Marlin users down under shooting pigs. You might "search" for that thread. I use the Devestator to very good effect out of my .44 Magnum revolvers but do not have a Marlin lever gun......mine are Winchesters.

Larry Gibson

Lunarphase
05-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll start looking into them.

Larry, sorry to hear about the Winchesters. :kidding:

EDK
05-13-2012, 01:27 AM
LYMAN 429667 (plain base) or 429640 (gas check) MIHEC 434640 (awaiting delivery)RANCH DOG TLC 432 265/NOE plain base lube groove clone.

I've got them and used them in my VAQUEROS and rifles. If you're hunting, go with the gas check versions and go for higher end velocity. Read up on MARLIN quirks and adjust accordingly.

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

Just Duke
05-13-2012, 01:57 AM
Mine seems to only feed the truncated 200 grainer out of a SAECO mould.

RobS
05-13-2012, 11:05 AM
I would go with a ranch dog if you are planning on tumble lube and not sizing; best bang for the buck. Also his option to have three cavities gas checked and three cavities plain base for an additional $10 is really a good idea if you don't want to shoot GC's all the time due to expense. You would still need a push through sizer for the GC's though. He also has the option to plain base all 6 cavities too but with TL and pushing higher velocities/pressures the GC makes load development a bit more forgiving. If it were me I would go with the 265 grain RF 44 cal bullet. Mike has great customer service and is one of us.

Dale53
05-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Lunarphase;
Go with Ranch Dog's mould. It is tailor made for the Marlin, will have loading suggestions, and has been seriously vetted on hogs. As good as it gets...

Dale53

bones37
05-13-2012, 08:24 PM
My micro groove marlin 44 likes the RCBS 200-CM that I had to have enlarged to cast a .433" boolit. When lubed it weighs 205 grains and is cast out of ACWW. I also shoot the same boolit out of my Smith 629. I have not had any troubles with leading or other nonsense since doing this mod, so listen to these guys, they know what they're talking about!

gbrown
05-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Lunarphase--look at this archive. Interesting comments.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-241.html

lead chucker
05-13-2012, 10:03 PM
A friend of mine has a marlin in 44 and he has tried several of my bullets and says the Lyman devastator works the best for him most accurate and feeds good.

bigboredad
05-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Lunarphase;
Go with Ranch Dog's mould. It is tailor made for the Marlin, will have loading suggestions, and has been seriously vetted on hogs. As good as it gets...

Dale53

+1 Ranchdog has put in a lot of time finding out what will work and what will not work I give his some serious thought and for the price if you don't like it it's not that big of a loss and I'm sure it would sell real fast right on our own swapping and selling page

Lunarphase
05-14-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm leaning towards the Ranch Dogs.
I went to the site and found what I think I need. Correct me if I'm off base here.

TLC432-240-RF $60
6-Cavity Mold Handles $14
.432 Bullet Sizing kit $21

and some gas checks which I haven't found yet, but looking.
This casting doesn't look like it's gunna be cheap, at least not at start-up.

bigboredad
05-14-2012, 08:29 PM
start up will cost you some but its a helluva lot of fun once you get going

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Lunar,
Yep, startup costs can be high, but most equipment holds it's value pretty well.
Jon

EDK
05-15-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm leaning towards the Ranch Dogs.
I went to the site and found what I think I need. Correct me if I'm off base here.

TLC432-240-RF $60
6-Cavity Mold Handles $14
.432 Bullet Sizing kit $21

and some gas checks which I haven't found yet, but looking.
This casting doesn't look like it's gunna be cheap, at least not at start-up.

A LEE MAGNUM MELTER pot and a LYMAN or RCBS dipper OR a bigger ladle than the LEE. A bottle of LEE LIQUID ALOX for lube. Look for Blammer for gas checks and buy enough to save on shipping.

I've got a STAR lubri-sizer and a mess of moulds, acquired over 40+ years, but I could easily get by with the basic list above. I'd spend the extra$$ and get at least three cavities plain based. I have TLC 432 265 and the lube groove/plain base clone from NOE....I REALLY like that boolit in my MARLINS and VAQUEROS.

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

Lunarphase
05-15-2012, 10:05 PM
EDK, looking at Ranch Dog description of the TLC 432 265 he says it's for a 444.
I like the heaver side of bullets, you like it for the 44 mag Marlin 1894 and Ruger Vaqueros?
I also have a Ruger Vaquero in 44mag, you say it shoots good through both?

Man if that is so I would be stoked!
Does plain based mean no gas checks?
I would also like to pick your brain on loads for both.
I know in time this will all seem simple, but for now I have so many questions, sorry.

Lunar

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-16-2012, 09:33 AM
I use the 265gr. RD in pistol as well as Marlin rifle.
works well.
Yes Plain base means no gas check.
I use blue dot in pistol loads and H110 in rifle loads,
you'll find starting loads in your manual.
Jon

Moonie
05-16-2012, 02:26 PM
While I don't hunt with it, my 1894 carbine (MG) seems to get along just fine with the Lee 429-200-RF. After beagling a bit, my DC mould drops .433/214 grs. from 50/50 range scrap & WWs and, loaded to approximate factory .44-40s, will easily produce 2"-2 1/2" (iron-sighted) groups @ 50M with no significant leading.

Bill

btw...I, too, tumble-lube my beagled Lee boolits with 45/45/10.

This mold can be had in a 6 cavity, I have one for my sons 44mag snubbie.

EDK
05-17-2012, 10:41 PM
I like the RANCH DOG TLC 432 265 so much that I bought the NOE plain base clone of it...don't need gas checks in the lower end pistol loads. You have to adjust your alloy (for plain base) if you push them harder, but I have gotten some of my personal best groups with the RD or clone with varying loads. Follow Ranch Dog's tutorial for lubing. The gas checked boolit with LEE LIQUID ALOX will remove residual lead from your gun barrels too. Shoot six of them per gun at the end of a range session if you have minor leading problems. CHORE GIRL is your friend too.

I usually shoot 48+ rounds daily through an assortment of 44 magnum Original Size VAQUEROS...3.5, 5.5, and 7.5 barrels; the shorty kicks some. Powders are TITEGROUP, HP38, HERCO and some POWER PISTOL, UNIQUE or RED DOT. Get Cowboy Action Shooting data and work from there.

Inter-changeable ammo depends on your definition of good. For short range like Cowboy Action Shooting and the 20+ guns I load for...I've got a bunch of step- kids and grand kids with 44s...you can go generic and be OK. If you want better performance in your MARLIN, you load RIFLE SPECIFIC and tweak the loads until you get what you want...that's why I bought the two cavity TLC 432 265; tried it in both rifle and pistols; then ordered the six cavity. BUT gas checks ain't cheap, so I jumped on the plain base NOE. I size to .432 if the boolits are big enough to "clean up" without smeared lube...on standard lube groove designs too. Keep in mind that better sights and an improved trigger on your rifle will let you get the maximum performance out of it, BUT it will never be as accurate as a bench gun. I've had an 1894 or two for 40+ years...minute of deer, coyote or whatever you're shooting at.

I've got a bunch of moulds and will probably get the new RANCH DOG 240 grain because most 44 loads revolve around that boolit weight. With OUR fixed sight VAQUEROS, trying different boolit weights can correct point of aim/point of impact problems without filing the front sight. I got a SMOKIN' DEAL on a 7.5 inch 44 mag VAQUERO that was allegedly color cased/carbona blued by DOUG TURNBULL...beautiful gun, but someone filed down the front sight too much and it shoots high with 240-to-270 grainers...got to try 200s after I cast some up. Another DEAL ($350 out the door) was the 3.5 inch custom gun...the little guy shoots 8 inches LOW with the ammo mentioned above. 300 grains will get me on target, but the recoil is more than I like. AFTER these two get trigger jobs, I'll correct the sights as required. Too low is easy with a file or milling machine; too high means a replacement front sight and I REALLY don't want to damage the beautiful carbona blue on the barrel if I can avoid it!

NOE moulds are super. They will cut most designs in both gas check and plain base in one set of blocks...Uncle Ed orders 4 plain base and 1 gas check cavity when he can. I can't say enough good things about Swede Nelson and his elves at NOE. RANCH DOG'S LEE manufactured moulds are top of that line...he has sent moulds back that weren't up to his specifications. I'd get 3 plain base and 3 gas check cavities in his moulds if possible. I probably shoot 50 rounds of pistol to 1 round of rifle, even in pistol caliber MARLINS...the 30/30 and 45/70 suffer even more neglect in the safe!

Lastly, go to lasc.us and read Glenn Fryxell's article on 1894 MARLINS. He doesn't mention the RANCH DOG designs, but lots of good data anyhow. Read ALL of Glenn's articles as soon as possible...he is THE MAN on cast boolits and will save you a lot of time and wasted components. His book is there for the reading...I need someone to permanently install it in my computer...it's that good.

:redneck::cbpour::2gunsfiring_v1:

Lunarphase
05-18-2012, 08:48 PM
EDK,
Can't thank you enough for the time you put into that post. Lots of great info. I'll follow up and read through the sudgested info. Best I slow down and do it right.
Thanks,
Lunar