PDA

View Full Version : 2" Big bore cast boolits

Winger Ed.
05-12-2012, 03:20 AM
Here's a project I started about 12 years ago by buying a tired looking, weather beaten 'thing'.

After I'd fired it a few times, I made a new 'el Crappo' Pine boards from Home Depot carraige-
but just wasn't happy with it.
And, not being able to afford new wheels, I just sort of 'put it on the back burner'.

Well,,,,,,
times change, and fortunes improve.
All of a sudden...... Here we are.....
Amish wheels, lots of Teak oil, Min-wax stain, sandpaper, and special ordered US East Coast white oak boards later....

I'm not sure why, or how it happened, but one day last week:
I looked at the end of the garage and said to myself- "Wow, its finally done".
Now, if I can get the neighbor to help me load it in the pickup,
I can go settle some issues with them "Yankees".

I post it here- because I think it qualifies under the forum rules.
Yawl have always recieved me & my posts well:
And, it does actually fire cast Boolits.

Sure, they are molded from sections of empty calk tubes, filled with concrete..
But they are cast Boolits none-the-less.

Just Duke
05-12-2012, 04:34 AM
Fantastic! Have you put flame to her touch hole yet?

Chicken Thief
05-12-2012, 06:19 AM
If you want to cast galena to feed the beast:

http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/moulds.htm

W.R.Buchanan
05-14-2012, 02:33 AM
You should bring it to our Cannon Shoot on Memorial Day here at the Ojai Valley Gun Club in CA.

Lots of boomers show up and it is a damn good time. Last year we had about 25 guns most of which were small mortars shooting pop cans filled with cement.

However we also had several 6 pounders, and bowling ball mortar that shoots 1 1/4 miles and a real live Gatling Gun. Incidentially the bowling ball mortar shot a 14 lb ball completely out of sight nearly strait up, with 3 oz of black! Very impressive!

You'll love shooting your gun,,, it is much more satisfying than any shoulder fired gun you have ever fired.

Randy

PbHurler
05-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Wow, 12 years. Looks to me it was worth the effort, what a beautiful piece.

PanaDP
05-14-2012, 12:37 PM
That looks like a ton of fun. What do your cardboard tube cement bullets weigh?

W.R. Buchanan, is that shoot open to spectators? I don't own a cannon but that sounds like a fun way to spend memorial day. I live right near LA so it's not too much of a drive.

John Taylor
05-15-2012, 08:23 AM
When I started shooting my 2" canon I was using juice cans full of cement. Didn't take long to find out they don't go strait. A two pound fishing weight mold makes a good ball and they shoot strait but trying to find enough lead to feed her is a pain. I sold the two inch and started on a 2/3 scale that will take a three pound ball. Never finished it, got two sets of wheels, would make someone a good starter kit. I just don't have the time or money it takes to finish.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l132/johnptaylor/canonproject.jpg

garbear
05-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Out of curiosity how much would a kit go for?
Garbear

W.R.Buchanan
05-16-2012, 12:16 AM
PanaDP: yes, it is open to spectators. Come one, come all, more the merrier. They will even let you shoot the Gatling gun, but you have to pay for the ammo.

When you see a bowling ball go out of sight the first time it will make the drive worth it.

http://www.dock.net/ovgc/ for directions and calender. You'll probably see a bunch more things you'd like to do there.

Randy

John Taylor
05-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Out of curiosity how much would a kit go for?
Garbear

You can have mine for $1000. Barrel weight is about 250 pounds, don't know what the wheels weigh. One set of wheels has the old wooden hub and the other has a metal hub with iron axle. I'm not up to shipping so someone would need to come and get it.