PDA

View Full Version : Reloading the TLC460-350-RF

Ranch Dog
04-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Reformatted and finished the pages for both the 45-70 Govt (1895G) and 450 Marlin (1895MR). This took a heck of bunch of boolits and powder and I hope you will find the information useful. Will move on to H322 this week, working from the fastest to slowest suitable powder (Hodgdon). It took about 250 boolits to plot the powder out of the two rifles so I spent Thursday evening casting more boolits.

I was always under the assumption that I could just use the Hodgdon data for like boolits, not so...

Click my web page link in my signature below and then click on TLC460-350-RF and follow the links to the reloading pages.

6pt-sika
04-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Michael ,

Whats the possibility in the not to distant future to design a mould of about 100-115 grains with GC for the 25-36 Marlin and or 25-35 WIN ?

Moodyholler is looking for something of that type and of course you know me , whats one more mould [smilie=1:

Ranch Dog
04-14-2007, 04:31 PM
To quote somebody that was famous, "anything is possible"! I do simply stick to my area of expertise... Micro-Bands for tumble lubing. I don't have either of the mentioned calibers, in fact, never even held them in my hand! Would need some slugging info or preferably a chamber cast from them.

Now that I have the "protocol" written for this pressure work, I hope to pick up the pace. I hope to reduce the pressure work down to about 30 to 50 rounds out the barrel for the information. Still a lot to shoot... I've got this boolit and the TLC460-425-RF in these two guns. I also have the TLC432-285-RF in the 444 Marlin and 44 Mag which I promised last year and only was frustrated with the PT equipment. I will also need to work through the TLC432-265-RF and TLC432-300-RF. I've got to shoot these five boolits with Benchmark, BL-C(2), H322, H335, H4198, H4895, and Varget. I'm going to shoot the 44 boolits in the 44 Mag with H110 and H4227. That should be a summer worth of shooting! I just want fellows that are shooting these bullets to have some data to work with.

Like I said, I was foiled by the PT gear last year, but it has seen some improvements and updates. Also, my understanding of it's installation, operation, and interpreting the data is a bunch better. I was also working with it at my range which wasn't finished yet. It's hard to work with a laptop in the sun, it is difficult to see the screen plus it just gets too hot here as the months move on. I have all that cured this year. I just looked but don't have any pictures of my range. I will need to take some with the shooting this week as my facility is now very impressive!

Funny about my family; wife and mom and dad. They now can tell when I move over 40.0K PSI in my work! These lever guns get a definite "womp" to them that you feel in your bones!

This shooting has been good for me. One thing is that it has increased my appreciation of the 1895G. I've always considered it the "dog" of my fleet playing second fiddle to the 1895MR with it's longer barrel. I figure I'm going to get some first hand schooling in the differences of the 45-70 Govt and 450 Marlin. From my work here with H4198, I now have a bit more respect for the "G". 1.02-grains more case capacity in the "G" just about trumped 3.5" of barrel in the "MR" (2060 FPS in the "G" vs. 2073 FPS in the "MR". It is hard to explore the "G" without the pressure trace equipment but hopefully I can cure that for the fellows shooting these boolits.

Ranch Dog
04-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Tell you what, I will make it easy to see the chart. Please, please, please, walk through my web links to fully understand all the information on these charts.

http://gunloads.com/fam/ranchdogmolds/TLC460350RF/4570Data/H4198Chart.gif

http://gunloads.com/fam/ranchdogmolds/TLC460350RF/450MData/H4198Chart.gif

Dr. A
04-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Great info, and thanks! My gun does the best with 49gr. of H4198 and my max was 50gr. Guess I wasn't too far off. In my guns, the H4198 really does well with a longer barrel. Comparing the guide gun, a 22 incher and a 32 incher is even more interesting with this powder.

Ranch Dog
04-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the info Dr. A, hope you are doing well. While shooting the data, I wasn't real concerned with accuracy as there is so much going on with the Pressure Trace stuff. It did appear that the closer I got to maximum, the better the rifle shot.

Ranch Dog
04-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Did a bunch of shooting this week with H322 and have posted the data for both the 45-70 Govt. and 450 Marlin. Will shoot Benchmark this coming week and then H335. BL-C2, H4895, and Varget are not very appropriate powders for either of these calibers so I can likely shoot them all together in same week.

Here is a link that will take you to the appropriate pages...

http://www.gunloads.com/fam/ranchdogmolds/TLC460350RF/

Ranch Dog
05-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Charts posted for Benchmark. Excellent powder for the boolit in these two calibers! I've attached one of the targets from the data set. Target shot at 100-yards from my 1895G. While collecting data I'm not really trying to shoot well. Too busy monitoring the cables, laptop, chrony, etc. so I don't loose any data.

Here is a link that will take you to the appropriate pages...
http://www.gunloads.com/fam/ranchdogmolds/TLC460350RF/

Ranch Dog
05-18-2007, 12:07 AM
I posted a chart for H335 with the 1895MR (450 Marlin) but didn't have enough boolits left to shoot that powder with the 1895G (45-70). I did shoot at two chronographs for determining the actual BC of the boolit and it is .286 and have spent a some of my free time casting more boolits for my loading charts.

All work and no play with these two rifles was getting old so I took the 1895G into my pasture east of my house. I crawled up on my favorite tripod at 6:00 pm, which is pretty early for hogs, but I really just wanted to sit and enjoy the afternoon while I read my book. Within 3 minutes I started to see hogs. In the next 2 minutes I saw 15 different hogs move off the hill heading for a pond. I shot this big boy at 6:11. I just finished cleaning up the cutting tools at 10:00 pm. Kind of pooped!

http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/images/Hog01_051707B.jpg

My load was 52.5-grains of Benchmark at 1760 FPS. The boolit alloy was 9 parts WW and 1 part tin, water quenched for a BHN of 19. The shot was 60-yards and was simply devastating. I will detail the wound channel with some pictures in the morning.

Nrut
05-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Now that is a nice looking Hog there Michael !...Looks like a nice time of the year there with the green grass and bushes....My main memory of Texas was Hawk Missile school at Ft. Bliss in El Paso...sure was'nt that green around there!
I'm loading H4895 now for the next GG range session but will take some of your Benchmark loads also....looking good...thanks for all the work and the data....
cheers,
Mike

GSPKurt
05-31-2007, 09:53 PM
Great reading, RD! Do you have any archived info on the .444? I just bought one, and am interested in getting more reloading info on it.:lovebooli