PDA

View Full Version : Rummage sale success, for 6 bucks

boltons75
05-11-2012, 04:53 PM
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc431/sbolton36/IMAG0123-1.jpg

I was able to find these 3 pewter pieces for $1.25, and the cast iron for 5 bucks today. The little mug I believe is pewter, inside I can make out Lancaster pa, in a circle, but the rest of the mark is unreadable.

Always carry, never tell.

waksupi
05-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Being US made, I wouldn't melt the Lancaster piece until you checked out it's value real close.

imashooter2
05-11-2012, 06:49 PM
The one on the right doesn't look like pewter from here. The cast in decoration and handle are the keys. Still, the tankard and plate should yield near a pound of tin at well under a deuce. Hard to be bitter about that! :)

The deep skillet looks like a nice piece too!

Revolver
05-11-2012, 07:59 PM
The one on the right might not be pewter. I saw something just like it at goodwill the other day and it had a 3 letter initial RWA on the bottom. I googled it on my cellphone and it said it was Wilton Armatel (Which is in Lancaster, PA) fake pewter stuff. Just an FYI. As far as everything else, great find!

clodhopper
05-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Some times I have purchased peices that looked like pewter. The only safe gaurd is never pay to much.
Looks like you are paying the right price and will be fine in the end.

boltons75
05-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Yep the one on the right sure is not pewter, touched my torch to the Holland pewter plate, and it stayed to melt immediately, the little mug, nope, just got hot. So I guess I have a .50 cent aluminum shot mug. Still don't feel bad for the two pieces I scored for 75 cents. My wife and MIL are huge years sale freaks and are now both on the look out for me.

boltons75
05-12-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm thinking that big mug is going to be hard for me to melt down, since I really like how it looks and feels. But then I would just have more stuff sitting around collecting dust. So it will eventually get melted down.

fryboy
05-12-2012, 07:20 PM
eh i save the pieces i like until i just have to have the tin ( darn pile seems to be growing ) most have made it , a few umm have made better boolits :P worse i'll even buy something that's not pewter just 'cause i like it and it's too cheap :veryconfu
i have a feeling tho that if i found more lead some of those saved pieces would be history in a minute :lol: