PDA

View Full Version : purpose of crimping shells?

beex215
05-11-2012, 02:24 PM
i know one purpose is to hold the bucks or slugs in. what else? im about to experiment with a non crimped shell.

Ola
05-11-2012, 02:38 PM
The crimping is gives "counter pressure" so the powder charge burns consistently. In my experience with fast powder and a slug you can do without the crimp.

snuffy
05-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Wa-chew-talkin-bout? Shotgun? Try NOT crimping a shot load!:shock: Unless you're shooting straight up^, you'll loose the shot. Ya know that thing called grabity?:-o

As stated, the crimp is the initial resistance to retard the movement of the payload so the powder has a chance to ignite. The primer can actually unseat a shot-charge if the crimp is weak, causing bloopers or slow velocities.

beex215
05-11-2012, 05:11 PM
it is a slug. if it was shot, i wouldnt even have asked. i would be laughed at the range.

snuffy
05-11-2012, 06:06 PM
it is a slug. if it was shot, i wouldn't even have asked. i would be laughed at the range.

Same answer.

Ola
05-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Are you using LEE slugs?

I've been shooting "some" of those out of factory-made trap cartridges. Just cut the crimp with a knife, pour out the shot, push in the slug and it is ready. Never had a problem with ignition and the accuracy has been ok. Just make sure the weight of the shot equals weight of the slug.

beex215
05-12-2012, 12:52 AM
it is the lee slugs. its brands new hulls.

beex215
05-12-2012, 01:11 PM
i just tested them. all of them fired fine except for one blue dot shell. all of them had very hard recoil too.

the one blue dot shell, had literally no recoil. a puff of flame did come out of the muzzle, but the wad and slug exited surprisingly.

Ola
05-14-2012, 05:30 AM
What do you mean "very hard recoil"? Was it exceptionally hard or..?

Because the usual cure for a shotgun load that occasionaly goes "puf" is to increase the powder charge.

beex215
05-14-2012, 05:55 AM
thats kinda hard to judge as ive never shot a shot gun or slugs before. ive shot many weapons and this one hurt the most by far. it was loaded with 2.8cc of promo over a 1oz slug. it was only 10 shots til i had to slow down. it left small bruises on my shoulder/ pit area. the weapon does have a rubber pad on it but rather hard one.

HangFireW8
05-14-2012, 08:46 PM
thats kinda hard to judge as ive never shot a shot gun or slugs before. ive shot many weapons and this one hurt the most by far. it was loaded with 2.8cc of promo over a 1oz slug. it was only 10 shots til i had to slow down. it left small bruises on my shoulder/ pit area. the weapon does have a rubber pad on it but rather hard one.

I usually put my slugs over the powder, not vice-versa. [smilie=1:

Factory recoil pads are useful for removing, leaving a good working surface for putting a good pad on. I often change the butt angle at the same time, most factory stocks dig into my peck and bruise me there. Factory pads often add a point there to make the bruising even worse. At a minimum I use a belt-sander to remove the silly point. That curvature may look cool, that style dates back to Shuetzen stocks that tuck into the armpit, but those were low recoil target rifles, not shotguns with slugs.

In other words, I look at a factory stock and pad as a starting point, not a finished product.

HF

Ola
05-15-2012, 04:28 AM
2.8cc of promo over a 1oz slug. I have no idea what kind of aload that is. Is it low or high end load? Anyone?

If the load is OK, then there is other possible reason for the "puf". Maybe the wad did not function properly (got broken and some of the gas leaked).Did you look in the barrel after the "puf"? Was there unburned powder?

beex215
05-15-2012, 05:35 AM
I usually put my slugs over the powder, not vice-versa. [smilie=1:

Factory recoil pads are useful for removing, leaving a good working surface for putting a good pad on. I often change the butt angle at the same time, most factory stocks dig into my peck and bruise me there. Factory pads often add a point there to make the bruising even worse. At a minimum I use a belt-sander to remove the silly point. That curvature may look cool, that style dates back to Shuetzen stocks that tuck into the armpit, but those were low recoil target rifles, not shotguns with slugs.

In other words, I look at a factory stock and pad as a starting point, not a finished product.

HFmaybe i should add the powder under and over the slug this time for my new experiment.

I have no idea what kind of aload that is. Is it low or high end load? Anyone?

If the load is OK, then there is other possible reason for the "puf". Maybe the wad did not function properly (got broken and some of the gas leaked).Did you look in the barrel after the "puf"? Was there unburned powder?
its about 20 grains. i did look. i even have a video of that puff. there was some unburned powder. it only happened with 1 bluedot load.

Reload3006
05-15-2012, 07:34 AM
the crimp keeps The powder sealed by the wad. If you dont crimp a lot of the wads will not seal the powder charge and you will get a Fizzle.

Ola
05-16-2012, 02:18 AM
If the load is OK, then Reload3006 is right.

Btw, why you don't grimp the shells?
Because there is some simple tools like this available: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/-Roll-Crimping-Tools-/products/128/

beex215
05-16-2012, 08:01 AM
i do plan to. the place i shoot at doesnt allow slugs, so ill have to get some shot mold and am kinda forced to crimp now.