PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Center Scout owners, I need help!

keyser
05-11-2012, 01:56 PM
I apologize for a long first post, but need some help. I recently acquired a .50 Thompson Center Scout in a trade. It was missing the breech plug and had not been fired in 15 years. I found that there was still a bullet in the barrel and extracted it. There is a slight bit of corrosion from what I can see from where the black powder was sitting beneath the sabot for those years, but the rest of the barrel and rifling the rest of the gun look good.

Here are my concerns:

First: I was talking to someone who advised me that they wouldn't shoot a gun that had a bullet/powder sitting in the barrel that long as it could have weakened the barrel there. The original owner couldn't remember what type of powder he used. I've cleaned it the best I could but due to the design of the scout I can't see the area really well. I wouldn't think that it would be a problem to shoot it, but any thoughts?

Secondly: As I didn't have the original breech plug, I don't really know how it is supposed to index in the gun. I ordered the breech plug with integrated nipple from Track of the Wolf and it came in. When I install it, it bottoms out against the barrel and the vent are not lined up with the vents on the side of the receiver. I can see the breech plug vents just starting to show through the vents on the side of the receiver, but there is just a little bit that you can see. Totw said that as long as a little bit of the hole was showing they don't think it will be a problem, but there certainly isn't much showing. Any ides on this? Or does anyone have a picture of how it is supposed to be?

Thanks

Omnivore
05-11-2012, 03:48 PM
...wouldn't shoot a gun that had a bullet/powder sitting in the barrel that long as it could have weakened the barrel there.

Nonsense.

TC still has the owner's manual as a PDF on their web site. Have you talked to them?

keyser
05-11-2012, 04:36 PM
I downloaded the manual and went over the assembly/disassembly instructions and there is nothing referring to the removal of the breach plug at all, unless I missed it. I talked to T/C before entering in the trade and they advised me to get the plug from Track of the wolf. TOTW said they would replace the plug if necessary, but if they are all made identically, I'm not sure it would matter.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-11-2012, 05:45 PM
I use to have a TC Scout pistol in 50 cal.
I don't recall a breach plug ?
it had a large nipple about the size of my pinky finger
I believe the vents were in that...it was all one piece.
I may have a spare laying around, I'll go look for it
after I'm done typing here.
BUT...you said,
"I ordered the breech plug with integrated nipple from Track of the Wolf"
was this two separate pieces ? and the nipple is a standard nipple for any TC rifle ?
Jon

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-11-2012, 06:13 PM
OK, I found it. this one is used.
It's shown next to a new,packaged standard Nipple for size comparison only.
is this what you got from TOTW ?
Jon

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/scoutnipple.jpg

wgr
05-11-2012, 11:53 PM
dont worry about the breach plug/nipple not showing all the vent holes.i have two of the scouts a .50 and .54. mine are the older ones with a 21in.barrel and 1in 20 twist they can be a bit hard to clean but not that bad. i shoot 90grains of 2ff black powder in my fifty with a sabot and a 45xtp bullet and get consist group of 1 1 /2 in. at 100 . if your not comfortable shooting with that nipple i might have one to trade you bill

05-12-2012, 12:14 AM
T/C Scouts are built like tanks. Vent alignment is meaningless. Don't worry about it. As long as the hammer sets off the cap, you're good. Get used to pulling that plug after every range session. It needs a good cleaning and lubing with some "Never seize" when reinstalled. Cleaning is the secret to muzzleloading. As far as any damage caused by rust, it's hard to say without seeing it. Minor scarring can be cleaned away with use or lapping with Flitz. If it is really marred, you can always send the barrel to Bob Hoyt and have it made into a .54. He does unbelievable work and can give you a custom twist suitable for your chosen prefered projectile. (round ball or conical). My Scout has a Bob Hoyt reworked barrel and it's fantastic. I know I've shot 4 or 5 Scouts he has redone to round ball specs. Wow! What a difference. Enjoy that Scout. Pure simplicity and efficiency, durable, and fun to shoot.

Rick Hodges
05-12-2012, 08:19 AM
I have a .54 Scout. The nipple does not need to be alligned with the receiver vents. The barrel breach does have a reduced diameter chamber that needs a reduces diameter cleaning jag. (not sure if this is the same on a .50). I would not worry about shooting it. A tip for hunting: place a small piece of electical tape over the vent holes in the reciever to stop rain/snow from entering. It will just blow off when it is fired.

I use gorilla grease or a similar anti-seize on the nipple and don't over tighten it...snug is all it needs. Have fun with the rifle.

keyser
05-12-2012, 08:49 AM
OK, I found it. this one is used.
It's shown next to a new,packaged standard Nipple for size comparison only.
is this what you got from TOTW ?
Jon

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/scoutnipple.jpg

That is it! It is the integrated all one piece deal. I just assumed that the vents were supposed to line up with the vents in the receiver. I have had a Knight original disc that I have hunted with for 15 years so that is my only experience in muzzleloading.

keyser
05-12-2012, 09:01 AM
dont worry about the breach plug/nipple not showing all the vent holes.i have two of the scouts a .50 and .54. mine are the older ones with a 21in.barrel and 1in 20 twist they can be a bit hard to clean but not that bad. i shoot 90grains of 2ff black powder in my fifty with a sabot and a 45xtp bullet and get consist group of 1 1 /2 in. at 100 . if your not comfortable shooting with that nipple i might have one to trade you bill

TOTW said they designed theirs exactly off of a stock T/C Scout. I'm not sure then if another one would make a difference but idk, I do appreciate the offer. There is just a tiny crescent of the vents in the nipple visible at the extreme edges of the vents in the side of the receiver. It would have to rotate approx another 1/8" to be totally lined up.

T/C Scouts are built like tanks. Vent alignment is meaningless. Don't worry about it. As long as the hammer sets off the cap, you're good. Get used to pulling that plug after every range session. It needs a good cleaning and lubing with some "Never seize" when reinstalled. Cleaning is the secret to muzzleloading. As far as any damage caused by rust, it's hard to say without seeing it. Minor scarring can be cleaned away with use or lapping with Flitz. If it is really marred, you can always send the barrel to Bob Hoyt and have it made into a .54. He does unbelievable work and can give you a custom twist suitable for your chosen prefered projectile. (round ball or conical). My Scout has a Bob Hoyt reworked barrel and it's fantastic. I know I've shot 4 or 5 Scouts he has redone to round ball specs. Wow! What a difference. Enjoy that Scout. Pure simplicity and efficiency, durable, and fun to shoot.

Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind if I can't getting it shooting as is. I've cleaned it the best I could with windex w/vinegar, hot soapy water, and lightly oiled it until I get my order of some new supplies in. I mainly just wanted to be sure that since technically most of the gas would be venting in the receiver that I wasn't going to get a faceful of gas if it came straight back at the hammer. I may be totally misunderstanding the purpose of the vent holes anyway.

05-12-2012, 09:22 AM
It matters, not in the least, how the vent settles in. It vents into that area around the nipple and subsequently vents out the two angled holes in the receiver. Mine don't line up and, trust me, it shoots just fine. If this persists as a problem for you, you could always sell the rifle to me. :)

keyser
05-12-2012, 09:48 AM
It matters, not in the least, how the vent settles in. It vents into that area around the nipple and subsequently vents out the two angled holes in the receiver. Mine don't line up and, trust me, it shoots just fine. If this persists as a problem for you, you could always sell the rifle to me. :)

Ha, thanks for putting my mind at ease.

I was also told that in order to stabilize in the 1:20, I was going to need the longest bullet I could get, for sabots it was recommended to use a prbullet .40 240 gr dead center and start with around 72gr powder, does that seem like a good starting point? I do reload cartridges but until finding this site had not thought about casting my own. I do have a friend that was getting ready to unload some of his stuff and had about 50lb's of wheel weights. Obviously I will need to keep reading up before starting though.