PDA

View Full Version : Dreaming about my next squirrel gun. What do you like?

MBTcustom
05-11-2012, 11:41 AM
I am at some point in the future going to buy a new squirrel gun. I like the 22LR cartridge.
I bought a CZ 452 ultra lux and it shot like a lazer, but it was long and heavy. I owed a friend more favor than I could pay back in 10 years, so I gave him that rifle to even up the score.
I have a .22 cricket that will get me by for the moment, but hunting in Arkansas often requires a quick follow up shot. I dont care for the 10/22 at all.
I want something that is light, medium length, semi-auto, instinctive, tube fed, cheap, and surprisingly accurate with the right ammo.
I like the marlin mod 60. I also saw a savage that looked pretty strait.
Where should my mind be wandering in this search for this snappy little tack driver?

wcp4570
05-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Well since no-one else will offer a suggestion, I will give you one. I really like Remington 22's, I like the 550 and 552, both are tube fed auto loaders. The 550 and 550-1 are older out of production guns but the 552 is still being produced. Both guns will shoot and feed short, longs and longrifles. I have both that were purchased used and enjoy shooting them both but favor the older 550 over the 552. For a world of info on 22's visit
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21&order=desc
this is the Remington forum on that site. There are forums for allot of different manufactures. I enjoy reading that forum almost as much as I do this site.

wcp

Bullet Caster
05-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Well, goodsteel, you asked; however my Remington is magazine fed with 10 round mags and I have 6 of these for my green nylon Apache 77. I taped the mags together with some electrical tape and when I finish off one mag, all ya got to do is turn it around for 10 more shots. This rifle shoots great and I can hit a dime at 75 yds. with iron sights.

My dad has a 10/22 from Ruger with a scope on it and I can always out shoot him with him using the scope. I simply love my little Remington and now I think my wife has claimed it as her own. Lol. BC

Longwood
05-11-2012, 06:09 PM
You say you like the Marlin model 60, so like the guy in the Hahn beer commercials,,, "What"?
My friends will shoot ten into a raged hole at 30 yards.
He usually leaves his 10-22 in the case unless someone else want to shoot.
The 10-22 is cuter but,,,
"So"?

zack
05-11-2012, 07:03 PM
You liked the CZ Ultra Lux but it was too long, go get a CZ Scout. Exact same action but made for youths with a shorter barrel and stock. Put one of those rubber butt pads on it to lengthen the pull, add a nice 3X9 scope and go kill some squirrel. The Scouts are just as accurate as the longer CZs.

lcclower
05-11-2012, 07:31 PM
How about a 510-511-512 Remington?
I think all the 500 family are shooters.
Got a 511 off an online seller, turned out it had a bulged barrel, so with pipe cutter-sawzall-file I reduced the barrel to 17" and it acts like it reallly wants to shoot, just outside an inch at 25.
When I will get it correctly crowned and threaded and put a can on it I expect it will be a dark day for tree rats.

MBTcustom
05-11-2012, 07:37 PM
The Scouts are just as accurate as the longer CZs.
Yeah, in fact more so in my opinion, but thats a bolt gun and much as I like the inherent accuracy, they are slow. Now I'm not a spray and pray kind of guy, but in Arkansas, there is about 2 months out of the year when anything you are shooting at is not buried in foliage. Being able to do a double tap makes a huge difference here in how many squirrels end up in the bag.
Also, thats more than I want to spend.

Mk42gunner
05-11-2012, 08:47 PM
I want something that is light, medium length, semi-auto, instinctive, tube fed, cheap, and surprisingly accurate with the right ammo.
I like the marlin mod 60.

Problem solved, get a Model 60.

Every Model 60 that I have been around shot well, be it the old cheap Glenfield version or the Marlin branded ones. Most pawn shops have a few in stock for low money if you don't want to buy new. The older ones have a longer magazine, too.

I sold my tricked out 10-22 and kept the stainless Model 60ss.

Robert

wcp4570
05-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Icclower
If I must hit a target I always reach for my old Remington 510. One Sunday morning I looked out the kitchen window and saw a skunk rooting in my back yard. Old stinky boy had take up residents under my shed and I had been trying to get him for awhile. I grabbed the 510 and a couple of shells and started sneaking up on him. I got within about 25 feet of him when he heard me and turned around to charge me, one shot between the eyes save me from getting sprayed. The old Remington's always seem to be very accurate.

wcp

tacklebury
05-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Marlin Model 60 for a semi or maybe a Stevens Crackshot. These are my favorites. 8)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yhcP-eD9GB4/TsRBFNk2jNI/AAAAAAAAAHc/RzZDE5uZpCQ/s800/Savage_Model_72_Left.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-N48imzHah_Q/TsRBcIaDsTI/AAAAAAAAAJ4/Ck2qQCTZ2F4/s800/Glenfield_Model60_Right_Scoped.jpg

I mainly use the Model 60 when leaves are on the trees and I need the scope. Otherwise it's the crackshot. ;)

***edit***
Thought I'd add that this is what my model 60 does with CCI minimags at 30 yards fired as fast as I can shoot with an elbow rest. ;)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-lfnX03IaPkY/TsRAziRNNpI/AAAAAAAAAFs/BD4KsgnQ-fM/s800/Model60_Minimags_30yards_17shots_steadyfire.jpg

MBTcustom
05-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Those are hard numbers to argue with. I think I'm gonna end up going that way (model 60 that is)

375RUGER
05-12-2012, 12:46 AM
HUMMM! I don't know why but my favorites are old ones. Glenfield M25, Rem. Speedmaster, Stevens 87A , and Nylon 66. Those are my favorite squirrel guns. All but one are older than me and passed down from each Grandpa and Dad. My son especially likes the Savage.

MBTcustom
05-12-2012, 07:51 AM
I have to admit, I have wanted a nylon 66 for years. The problem is, that now they are a collectors item and are going for pretty good money for what they are.
Tell you the truth, I used to have a Winchester model 290 that would shoot 1/2" group at fifty yards with iron sights. I gave it to a good friend of mine. Its one of the few things I regret giving away, because that rifle realy was all that and a bag of chips. Once again though, I paid $80 for that rifle in a pawn shop and thought that was a fair price for what it was, and no guarantee of the accuracy. Last 290 I saw they wanted $200 bucks for, and it had rust on it!

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-12-2012, 07:37 PM
That'll!

HawkEyeEarl
05-12-2012, 09:54 PM
I like the remington 510 and 511 bolt action. I like the old familar look. They shoot good and shoot about anything and a have good long sight radius. They are wood and steel.

MBTcustom
05-12-2012, 11:17 PM
Has anyone bought a SS Model 60 from walmart in the past 2 years? If so, what were your impressions? Good accuracy?
I only ask because if I buy a used one, there's a pretty good chance it came from wal-mart. I would never intentionally buy from wal-mart; I have been burned too many times.

Mk42gunner
05-13-2012, 10:33 PM
My 60ss is more like twenty years old, made in 95 to be exact; but it shoots like a Marlin should. Last winter I compared it to an old Remington 581 that has had a bit of work done to it and a CZ 452.

The bolt guns out shot it, but not by much. I think most of the difference was in the triggers.

Robert

adrians
05-14-2012, 07:46 AM
The mod 60 is a good squirrel getter,,, but for fun i shoot my Henry 22 mag ,it's right on the button although not a snappy as the mod 60 it sure is a ton of fun to take out and get em....:bigsmyl2:

MBTcustom
05-14-2012, 08:40 AM
I'm just after a meat gun that can give me an accurate double tap. 10/22 is for fun and I have owned one before. I also really enjoy single shot guns, but the limitations of both platforms make them unsuitable for my style of hunting.
I'm surprised that Savage semi-autos have no comment here. No bueno?

keyser
05-14-2012, 09:36 AM
My Marlin 60 had been my squirrel gun for the last 17 years. I decided to move to a bolt gun last year and found a BRNO #1 that I thought would be the replacement, but ended up using the Marlin. Earlier this year I acquired both a Remington 510 and a 511, so I'll have to spend the summer figuring out which I want to use.

Dan Cash
05-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Your meat gun does not have to be utilitarian. Have you considered a Browning .22 auto? Light, short, tube fed through the stoc (won't ever bend a mag tube) take down and very pretty, at least the Belgian made ones are.

MBTcustom
05-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Dan, I heard that the Brownings have a tendency to work the barrel lock nut loose as you shoot them. No problem with iron sights, but I was told by one of my mentors that keeping a scope dialed in will give you fits.
Is this true or was that one man's experience?
I plan on using iron sights, but I dont like the idea of the thing coming loose. I'll look into them a little further, thanks for the suggestion!

05-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Seems like effectiveness for the goal or basic accuracy are the deals for small game like squirrels- and not so much "spray and pray". My choices would be a full choked .410 w/6s and/or something like a Win 52 sporter repro (Miroku), if you can find one, with a 4X 22rf scope (Leupold make a good one that is parallax friendly at normal 22rf ranges).
Just my thinking.

Dan Cash
05-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Dan, I heard that the Brownings have a tendency to work the barrel lock nut loose as you shoot them. No problem with iron sights, but I was told by one of my mentors that keeping a scope dialed in will give you fits.
Is this true or was that one man's experience?
I plan on using iron sights, but I dont like the idea of the thing coming loose. I'll look into them a little further, thanks for the suggestion!

Can't answer that, Tim. Mine is not scoped but has not come loose on me. I don't shoot it or any .22 much so am not in a position to discuss that problem. The only other one of these things that I have been around was scoped and gave the owner no problem.

If the little outfit did loosen, I would not worry about it; just tighten and continue, It is too cute to worry. Would you like to own it?

MBTcustom
05-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Yikes! I just looked it up on gunbroker. I think anything Browning makes is out of my price-range by a good bit.

Longwood
05-14-2012, 06:50 PM
I always liked the looks of the little Browning but I don't care for how tiny they are.
I like my Rossi gallery gun but I would not want to mount a scope on it. It also breaks down so it fits in a long pistol case.
I like the Davy Cricket bolt action pistol and sure do wish Marlin made a auto feed with a stock like are available for the Cricket. I love how they made it with the left handed action for easy loading without changing ones grip.
A model 41 Smith and Wesson, a Remington XP100 and Thompson center sold me on hunting with pistols.
My 10" Contender in 22 long rifle would easily shoot a box of ammo into a 3/4" red dot at 100 yards. The 14" was not quite as accurate so I would hunt with the lighter 10".
No double tapping, but it is never needed.

Longwood
05-14-2012, 07:10 PM
I also really enjoy single shot guns, but the limitations of both platforms make them unsuitable for my style of hunting.
I'm surprised that Savage semi-autos have no comment here. No bueno?

I went to a gun show a few weeks back.
I went home with a Winchester Low wall in 17 HMR that has the tapered octagon barrel.
Talk about a nice looking gun.
It is drilled for a scope so I bought one of the little 2.5 BSA Deerhunter scopes for it.
I also got a 17" Malcolm period type scope for it and finally got it mounted without drilling more holes. No mount available so I modified a old rear sight and made a riser block so I could use the Malcolm mount that came with the scope.
I bought a Bolt action Savage 17 last year and so far I am not very pleased with how it shoots but I have only tried two brands with the 17 gr. pills.
The looks of the rifle were a big plus but if I had it to do over, I would not buy the thumbhole stock.
I have to work my hand into it and I don't care for that. I see you like the Colt Woodsman and I owned one of the Match Target pistols for a while found the grip to be too small so your hands may fit the Savage stocks better.

Dan Cash
05-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Yikes! I just looked it up on gunbroker. I think anything Browning makes is out of my price-range by a good bit.

Gunbroker is kind of like Ebay, over priced. A clean Belgian Grade I (cheap model) is worth about 500-550 in my opinion. While that might choke you if you were thinking of a $200 gun, the Browning won't shrink in value. You can afford it but perhaps you don't know it.

jh45gun
05-16-2012, 02:06 AM
The Marlin Bolt action repeaters like the Marlin 80 (detachable magazine) and 81 (tube feed are reasonable from a 100 to 130 dollars some even less I paid 50 for one and 130 for the second one since I liked the first one so well and they are tack drivers. Older guns so got to find used and they are easy to do a trigger job on for a nice 2 or 3# trigger.

olafhardt
05-17-2012, 03:29 AM
Tim I began hunting squirrels in Arkansas over 50 years ago.I have used autos, bolts, levers , pumps and single shots. I don't think there is any advantage with any action.Here os my advice:
1) My favorite is a Savage 24in 22 over 20 gage where the rifle hits close to the center of the shotgun pattern.
2)When I was younger I often measured dista
nces in the woods. You will see damn few squirrels at more than 35 yards in the Arkansas woods. A low power fixed power scope is as good as any and if you know how to use a peep sight its even better.
3) As a squirrel killing machine get a 20 ga with an ounce of 5's

MBTcustom
05-17-2012, 05:26 AM
Hunting squirrels with a shotgun? How uncouth! How barbarian! How sickeningly practical and ungentlemanly!:kidding::kidding:
Hey, I do this for fun; besides, no squirrel is worth the price of shot these days! All of my friends hunt with shotguns and they have given me the same advice.
I was hunting with one of my buddies and he had an H&R 20 gauge. I had an exceptional 10/22 that I had a lot of trigger time with. Twice in one afternoon, we came upon a squirrel that was good at dodging my buddies shotgun. He blew off two shots each time and missed. I threw up that .22 and popped them in the head running both times. Its not the best way, but its my way.

izzyjoe
05-18-2012, 12:20 AM
i think you will be well pleased with the model 60SS, i had one, but to me it was to shiney for hunting. i've had alot of model 60's, and i now have a 99M1, it's basiclly a model 60 made up to look like an M1 carbine. talk about handy, it has a 16.5'' barrel. i love it, i give a $100 for it at a pawnshop, it shoot's like a dream, but it does not like cheap bulk ammo, cci mini mag's shoot the best in it. someday i'll find another beat up model 60 and cut the barrel down to match the 99M1, and have that for a truckgun. i'm with you i've never cared to much for the 10/22, the stock don't fit me at all. the model 60 is you're cheapest bet!! good luck killin' some tree rats, i think the season starts next month, it did last year.

olafhardt
05-18-2012, 01:04 AM
Izzyjoe, good steel, the season opened last Tuesday, May 15. Tim you need to understand I love to eat squirrels and I know the easy way to clean them.If you moved to Arkansas to find couth you will have to look hard but there is some but I am not in it. I use to hunt squirrels with a 22 and did all right.I was taught to gut shoot them because my dad loved to eat their brains.DON'T DO THIS people are are susposed to have to have contracted Crozfelt-Jacobs syndrome from eating squirrel brains. I used to know people who killed 2-300 squirrels a year for the meat.Hunting squirrels with a 22 is the ultimate IMHO but my eyes got bad and I got a tremor but also I got to wondering where those bullets land.
PS I mounted a scout scope on my H&R 20 ga and not for turkeys!

montana_charlie
05-20-2012, 09:37 PM
I'm just after a meat gun that can give me an accurate double tap.
Through this entire thread you keep mentioning the need for a 'double tap'.

Hitting a squirrel with a 40 grain solid from a .22LR is like hitting a man with a 105mm howitzer. I can't imagine a need for a 'follow-up shot' with a squirrel rifle.

And ... 'squirrel rifle' in my definition is one that can reliably make a head shot at 60 yards.
With that capability, it doesn't matter if it takes five minutes to reload.

My squirrel gun is a scoped 1451 Anschutz sporter. Working the bolt only takes about six seconds.

CM

MBTcustom
05-20-2012, 11:03 PM
MC, Have you ever hunted in swamp in central Arkansas? Its thick as pea-soup out here man! Just because you see what you are shooting at, and take a bead, has no bearing on whether the bullet will get where it was going. There is so much foliage that there is rarely a clear shot, unless its only about ten yards away. Any further than that and you are shooting through garbage. The bullets have about a fifty% chance of connecting with the squirrels head. Most folks around here hunt with a shotgun for this reason, but I prefer to have the option for a quick follow up shot. "if the right one don't getcha then the left one will" Just having that follow up shot gives me nearly 100% success rate.
Oh, and since you brought it up, How do you make black powder paper patched .22's?:kidding:

AnnieOakley
05-20-2012, 11:28 PM
With that capability, it doesn't matter if it takes five minutes to reload.
CM

I don't know what it is like in Montana, but here in Kentucky often squirrels appear in multiples. An autoloader is clearly the best choice because you have a quick follow up shot, and there is no extra noise when cycling the action. The Marlin Model 60 is in our gun cabinet now. It's my favorite .22.

olafhardt
05-21-2012, 01:04 AM
MC I realize that you never miss but I do.I once missed one seven times but picked him off with the eighth minimag.Perhaps your pecker is longer than mine. I brought a Anschitz 22 wmr with double set triggers back from Germany in 66. It taught me two things:
1) The 22 mag is to much for squirrels.
2) I don't like set triggers.
I gotta tell you when someone starts talking about killing squirrels at 60 yards,red flags go up. I like my 20 ga 5's partly because the go clean through.

olafhardt
05-21-2012, 01:21 AM
Me agian MC after thinking about it I can recall several squirrels that took more than one lomg rifle to kill.They can be tough.

kenyerian
05-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Can't go wrong with a marlin 60. great little Squirrel gun.

montana_charlie
05-21-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't know what it is like in Montana, but here in Kentucky often squirrels appear in multiples.
I don't hunt squirrels in Montana. The native squirrels are small and black, and sparse. The nice big grey squirrels that have moved in during the last ten ears are all living in various towns and cities.

My squirrel hunting was always in Missouri and Kansas river bottoms, and in pine forests out in California.

I still use my 'squirrel gun', but now it shoots gophers (Columbian ground squirrel). They are about half the size of a big fat fox squirrel. Most shots are taken between 30 to 60 yards ... and much of the time the head is all that pokes above ground.

When a wounded squirrel crawls away and needs a second shot, it isn't because squirrels are 'tough'. I have to admit that it's because he was poorly shot.

CM

wtfooptimax200
05-23-2012, 08:01 PM
I will most likely be chastised for saying this, but here goes...get a 10/22. If I recall from your posts, you like to tinker with guns, so even though it will probably not shoot as well as the marlin out of the box, they can be made to shoot. In addition to a squirrel slaying machine, it is a great platform for 22 cal falling plates, plinking, etc. Plus, it's a 10/22, so they is plethora of aftermarket parts, and who doesn't like tricking out there guns?

Just my 0.02, take it or leave it.

Branden

greywolf444
05-24-2012, 12:36 PM
The marlin 60 is a good choice. Shoot a brick of something cheap thru it and its broken in and ready for a lifetime of squirrel hunting. Every farmboy has had at least one of these. A true classic that still works.

I have several cz 452's that are very accurate. A 22 lr for out to 50 yds and a 17 hmr for beyond. Stunningly precise tools with 4-16x scopes. See squirrel-touch trigger-pick up squirrel-repeat until bored. They are almost too good for the job. And no fun while they're doing it.
For fun squirrel hunting-
I prefer the Henry levers in 22 lr and especially in 22 mag. Perfect squirrel getters. Light , trim , accurate, well balanced. Not as accurate as a CZ. Still good enough it make headshots. Fast second shot if you really need it.

I never found the speed of the second shot to be all that important. If you blew the first shot you better settle down and take your time on the second. Even a bolt gun is fast enough. trying to spray enough lead to hit one running up a tree is a low percentage shot at best. Thick vegitation is no reason to not make a skilled shot the first time. You can either see the animal clearly and can make a good shot or its not clear and you should use you hunting skills to position yourself for a shot opportunity.

MBTcustom
05-24-2012, 12:59 PM
trying to spray enough lead to hit one running up a tree is a low percentage shot at best.
Im not saying I spray lead all over the woods and hope something furry lands with a thud someweres out there.
But let me put it to you this way, say you watch a squirrel work his way into your shooting lane. You take a bead on his head and squeeze off the shot, confident that he will shortly come tumbling out of the tree, but instead you see a branch move between you and him. You now realize that there was a stick about 1/8" in diameter that you could not make out in the swampy shadows. The squirrel freezes in place for that one split second, and then zips behind a limb and hides there and you dont get a second shot because the next time you catch sight of him, he is 10 yards further away, and leaving the scene. Now, when I find myself in that position, I realize that I lost that split second that he hesitated while I was working the bolt of my rifle.
Now, some of you seem to be saying that you reflect on the awesomeness of being in the woods with your $500 slow cocking .22, the peacefulness of the day, and any other thing that is pleasant and groovy, and never think to yourself about how nice it would have been to cap that sucker with a second, well placed shot, and not go home empty handed.
Personally, I enjoy the surroundings as much as the next guy, but I'm there to get some groceries.
(I wrote in this way to be funny, not to make anybody mad, so please take it in the spirit it was written)

montana_charlie
05-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Personally, I enjoy the surroundings as much as the next guy, but I'm there to get some groceries.
Then, what you need is a 20 gauge shopping cart. If all you can see is his head, you won't get any pellets in the meat.

CM

ron2009
05-25-2012, 12:13 AM
savage 67 they are good old semiauto's they are tube mags you can mount a scope on them and i got one last year at a gun show for 25 bucks i see them go from 50 to 120 they handle nice check out the older guns they are alot better than most of the newer ones

waksupi
05-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Tim, I don't know why you don't just stick with a single shot. Some lying SOB told me he saw you miss one time. I punched him in the eye, and just whupped the living bejeezus out of him, for telling such lies!

corvette8n
05-30-2012, 03:48 PM
I have a heavy bbl Savage Mark II in .17hm2, all I can say is WOW, I don't think I will ever go back to a .22 for Squirrels.

MBTcustom
05-30-2012, 04:53 PM
I went hunting with a buddy who had a heavy barrel Marlin .17 MkII. He could shoot dimes at 100 yards all day long with that rascal, but he got awful tired of carrying it all day long. I want to stay light weight. I wouldn't mind having a .17 but they dont know how to make them with a sporter contour barrel! Never mind the fact that to the little bitty 17, a sporter contour is a bull barrel. If the venerable 17s go away, its because they were marketed like a fad cartridge. They have a practical application, I just wish they designed the guns with that in mind.

Longwood
05-30-2012, 05:30 PM
I went hunting with a buddy who had a heavy barrel Marlin .17 MkII. He could shoot dimes at 100 yards all day long with that rascal, but he got awful tired of carrying it all day long. I want to stay light weight. I wouldn't mind having a .17 but they dont know how to make them with a sporter contour barrel! Never mind the fact that to the little bitty 17, a sporter contour is a bull barrel. If the venerable 17s go away, its because they were marketed like a fad cartridge. They have a practical application, I just wish they designed the guns with that in mind.

Chuck it up and flute it.

Have you seen the little Crickett hunter pistols with a long fluted barrel. Not a double tapper, but soo nice.
I wonder how hard and expensive it would be to get a permit to make one with a 60 Marlin action and a spiral fluted barrel?
I saw a Crickett in a store about a year ago that was chambered for the 17.
It had a grey laminated stock and came with no sights, ready for a scope.
I need one like I need a 45-70 and sure wish I had not passed it up.
Oh well,,, that gives me a reason to keep going back into the store that only has what I already have.
One bad thing about getting old,,,, not as fun to go look now. :-(I bought the Savage 17 with the thumb-hole stock that day, so I did OK.

http://www.crickett.com/crickett_hunterpistol.php?osCsid=3vii7eidjk4rglu67 ibgv03nh0

MBTcustom
05-30-2012, 05:52 PM
The cricket is what I hunt with now. Great little gun and its everything I ever wanted out of a .22, but the trigger is atrocious, the sights are horrible in low light, and I lost a squirrel due to a stick that I could not see and no follow up shot. (I hang my head in shame.)
I am going to install a red-dot reflex sight on it, and that should help with the low light thing, but I guess I just got used to using the semi-auto as a crutch when I was a kid. Its just what I was used to.

montana_charlie
06-03-2012, 08:44 PM
Actually, I really have nothing to add as far as the 'search' is concerned. But, while looking for information on a Thompson Center .22, I ran across a video that I thought might appeal to olafhardt.

I gotta tell you when someone starts talking about killing squirrels at 60 yards,red flags go up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Vc8EbgSS0
New gun, fresh out of the box ... center hit on a squirrel-sized camera at 75 yards.

Does that help you with those red flags, Bud?

CM

bruce drake
06-03-2012, 09:12 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=289083922

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=289562115

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=289666490

enjoy your choices.

MBTcustom
06-03-2012, 09:34 PM
I take it you dig the Stevens 987? Never owned a Stevens rifle before. What kind of groups are we talkin about here?

Longwood
06-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Build one,,,, I know you can.
I kinda like this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWJw_KeraGw&feature=related

olafhardt
06-04-2012, 05:12 AM
Sorry, Charley, you aren`t going to carry that table and rest through any of the woods arround here. The red flags wave.

MBTcustom
06-04-2012, 06:48 AM
Build one,,,, I know you can.
I kinda like this one.
Not only can I, I have! Heck its just a duded up 10-22. That platform is heavy, and inherently inaccurate and expensive. It can be made accurate, but I never have seen an accurate one that wasn't very heavy. The design of the gun is so bulky that if you use one of the aluminum or carbon over-molded super-light barrels, then it becomes a real nightmare to control your shots because the whole platform is an unnatural feeling block of hardware. Don't get me wrong, I have killed many many squirrels with a 10-22 but after shooting some of the guns that were designed to be a little more streamlined (ie, finished being modified at the factory) I found that shooting off-hand requires something a little more natural than Rugers "baseball bat with a barrel. " I don't know quite how to describe it. some guns just come to the shoulder and point like a shotgun and others, you put 'em on your shoulder, find the sights, and line them up with what you intend to shoot. kind of like a 2X4 with a trigger. The 10-22 feels like the latter example to me, even though it is a great gun, no matter how many bells and whistles I plugged onto it. I enjoyed doing it though and I may buy another 10-22 someday and build it up again, but you need to have some pretty big money to do that, and right now all of my extra coin is being sucked up by the business, so I need something inexpensive.

bruce drake
06-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Stevens rifles are good quality rifles that can be depended upon to deliver the goods without breaking a wallet. Same relative design as the Marlin 60 you are looking for (tube-fed, solid receiver, semi-automatic, a hardwood stock with a rifle length barrel that you can mount a scope easily).

Bruce

Longwood
06-04-2012, 11:44 AM
It sounds more and more like you want a model 60 Marlin.
You can use it down the road, to build a better rifle than a Ruger when the business is super boring and making you rich.
Maybe use the Marlin barrel but make it look fancy with a shroud of some sort.

montana_charlie
06-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Sorry, Charley, you aren`t going to carry that table and rest through any of the woods arround here. The red flags wave.
Now I see what your problem is ...

gwpercle
06-08-2012, 02:05 PM
I didn't think Browning made these anymore....but the Cabel's Father's Day sale ad shows one right on the front cover. The John Browning designed SA22.
Nice walnut and blued steel, slim ,trim and goodlooking as ever. It loads thru the side of the stock and is bottom ejecting.. good for us who shoot left sided.
A good friend had one in the 80's and would let me use it on squirrel hunting trips.
John Browning designs are classic and this little semi-auto 22 is in my humble opinion one of the best. Back in the late 80's a group of us bought one with upgraded walnut for our boss at that time it cost $450.00. The one in cabela ad has standard walnut and selling for$599.99. That is not a bad price and it comes with a carry case. Also what I like is it breaks down for easy carrying in the case.
If I had an extra $600 .... wait Father's Day is coming up...If I leave enough hints around just maybe...

I know what you mean about the shouldering like a 2x4 and I think it's the the handling qualities of this gun that makes it so sweet, it comes to the cheek and right on target almost like magic. I have a Ruger 10-22 also and it don't handle like the browning . Of course I got it because it was all I could afford at the time and it's still shooting after 20 years.

gary

Longwood
06-08-2012, 03:28 PM
The little Browning that a few friends had were tiny, beauutius, and way too expensive for me to buy one.

Larry in MT
06-17-2012, 06:32 PM
When I lived in Mobile I bought a dedicated "Squirrel Gun" and really enjoyed hunting both Fox and Grays.

The rifle is a Browning take-down, semi-auto .22 LR. They are beautiful little rifles, very light and handy and natural pointers. Mine is accurate, although I never could bring myself to mess up it's handiness with a scope.

I still have it and enjoy using it now and again.

bmanis
06-24-2012, 10:59 PM
I have a Marlin model 56 Lever that is a good shooter. It is not too heavy but has a full size rifle feel. I finally got around to scoping it yesterday and was impressed with its' accuracy.

Here are 16 shots, or two full magazines plus 1 in the chamber. After five shots, I dialed the scope to the right a few clicks to get on target. These shots were fired at around 60 yards using Blazer ammo.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_130364fe7d2db171f3.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5672)

Ben
06-25-2012, 07:56 AM
That's not bad shooting for a " Rookie ".

Ben

bmanis
06-25-2012, 06:19 PM
"That's not bad shooting for a " Rookie "."

Well you know, Rookies sign the biggest contracts.

I just might out shoot you one day, but that will probably be when you are not shooting anymore.

Bmanis

RACWIN375
06-26-2012, 05:53 AM
my 10/22 is my best 22 shooting one hole groups @ 50yards and it's not tricked out the Marlin 39A next in line

MBTcustom
06-26-2012, 06:16 AM
Most 10-22s will shoot one hole groups @ 50 yards.
Eventually you will have a 4" hole if you keep shooting long enough!

olafhardt
06-27-2012, 01:49 AM
Goodsteel, my 500 s&w Handi Rifle will shoot 1/2" one shot groups all day,it's amazing. Got me a new bolt action squirrel gun this past weekend, a Mossberg 385. It`s a 20 gauge, a mans got to know his limitations. It should shoot very large one shot groups.

Lance Boyle
07-06-2012, 01:46 PM
About 5 years ago I kind made a trip back to my youth by going squirrel hunting every year at least once or twice. Now I look forward to it as much as deer season.

I pick one of 3 rifles; a ruger 77/22 with a 3-9 leupold on it, a CZ452 Manlicher stock with a 1.5-5x scope, or a 9422 with iron sights. My first squirrels as a youth were with a 20 gauge and I shot a few that way too. Certainly was effective before the leaves dropped.

OK, that does it, tomorrow is a range day with the .22s and some of my cast 158's in the .357 Python.

UBER7MM
07-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Most 10-22s will shoot one hole groups @ 50 yards.
Eventually you will have a 4" hole if you keep shooting long enough!

GoodSteel,

Honestly, the only thing I like about the 10/22 is the availablity of after market accessories. The action on the 10/22 (and this may be the problem with many 22 auto loaders) shears off a chunk of the bullet lead in the magazine ready to be chambered. Problematic for accuracy. By your post, the 10/22 not in the running so enough said about that weapon.

How about a single shot bolt gun with peeps or even a nice scope? If I were in your shoes I'd look in that direction.

Just my 2/100 of four quarter's worth,

H.Callahan
07-10-2012, 01:48 PM
My favorite squirrel gun was (until it got stolen! *grrr*) was a Weatherby XXII. I had the clip fed model, but it did come in a tube model. Not sure what they are getting for them used these days, but you might look that direction too.

krit29-2
07-12-2012, 10:04 PM
I kinda like "old school"..
1890 in .22lr from 1929
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i279/kritter2000/smith%20and%20%20wesson/P1010006k.jpg
or this old thing...
a 52 from 1932..
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i279/kritter2000/outdoorsman/P1010004d.jpg

Sorry , missed the part about semi auto...
How about a winchester 74?
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i279/kritter2000/HPIM0478.jpg

MBTcustom
07-12-2012, 10:21 PM
:shock:
Oh my. That pump!

gnoahhh
07-13-2012, 08:30 AM
I would saddle up with that M52 Winchester and not look back. I don't understand when guys say bolt guns are too slow, but that's just me. My squirrel rig, depending on the mood I'm in that day, is either an early M52 w/speed lock, Springfield M1922M2, or a custom BSA Martini ex-target rifle. The older I get, the more I realize that how one does it is as important as why.

If I depended on squirrels (or any other game animal) for sustenance I would probably go with a modern quick firing accurate rifle. But since I don't, and hunt purely for sport, I arm myself with the classiest guns I can scrounge up.

krit29-2
07-13-2012, 09:50 AM
forgot about this little guy, he finds ways to hide in the safe..
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i279/kritter2000/outdoorsman/P1010002w.jpg
a remington model 24 from 1929
small, light,breaks down, tube fed, semi auto.. and later became the Browning.22
and it's still kinda inexpensive, and comes chambered in .22 short also

Longwood
07-13-2012, 01:22 PM
I kinda like "old school"..
1890 in .22lr from 1929

Me too,, Nice rifle!
I bought one of the Rossi replica's back in the early eighties and gave it away about ten years later.
I had a 41 SW auto that I could hit well with so did not need it.
Then my eyesight went south. Pistol shooting is out.
I got the Rossi back last year and it is staying this time.
I see that they are way more valuable now than when I bought mine.

kullas
07-18-2012, 11:29 AM
My go to gun is a 10/22 its a older model with the metal butt plate. I never have liked the marlin to much. i had a golden trigger edition some years back and about ever 3rd shot would jam no matter what ammo i would shoot through it. i took it apart and cleaned it and still jams. i sent it back to marlin to have it fixed what did they tell me. It needed cleaned and they sent it back. first round through it jammed. I gave the gun away to be rid of it. and yesterday i pulled out a new to me M1969 and i love that little gun. when i was getting it out i also found another model 60 in there and i dont know where it came from. I shot it several times and it shot well. my daughter also shot it and asked if it could be her tree rat gun and i gave it to her. She is only 12 and i am glad she is into guns i just hope this model 60 is better than my first one.

MBTcustom
07-18-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Remington Speedmaster. I have used one of those before, and I loved it.

KCSO
07-19-2012, 09:49 AM
I will be using a Martini Model 8 this year. My other squirrel gun is a Norinco target rifle(Mauser copy) I got and worked over about 20 years ago. It shoots under 1" at 100 yards with a 3x scope on top. If I am just woods walking I like my Henry lever gun.

Longwood
07-19-2012, 12:57 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Remington Speedmaster. I have used one of those before, and I loved it.

I tried real hard to wear out a Remington Fieldmaster pump when I was a kid. I figured I had shot over 100 thousand through it when I gave it to a nephew.
I had one or the automatics a long time later but I had the model 41 S&W Auto pistol and the Rossi pump and sold the Speedmaster because I never shot it much.
I did not install a scope on it and never really tested how well it shot accuracy wise.
I have long been a Remington fan. I liked it mainly because of how much it looked like my old pump.

MBTcustom
07-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Best shot I ever made on a squirrel was with my dads speedmaster. I was 19 years old, and I shot him in the head 75 yards away with iron sights. Definitely a HS moment. He was silhouetted against a blue sky as he scrabbled out on a limb in the middle of a field. I haven't thought if that rifle in years, but I think I'm zeroing in on it as being the one for me.

375RUGER
07-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Speedmaster! one of my top 4 picks from page 1. You just can't make it not shoot.

I love that pump on page 4. I've gotta get me a pump 22 someday.

MBTcustom
07-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Speedmaster! one of my top 4 picks from page 1.
Well I'll be danged! I can't believe I missed that one! Sorry buddy.