PDA

View Full Version : What should I know about ordering a CMP Garand

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-11-2012, 10:34 AM
proof of citizenship , no problem
marksmanship, no problem
club affiliation , no problem
money , almost there

I am looking at a service grade either H&R or Springfield is there a reason to do one over the other

what else should i know

I have been looking at CMP Garands since i was reading the adds for them in American rifleman magazine in the high school library 20 years ago

and they will never again be less expensive or more available than they are right now, thanks to whichever board member it was who posted that and made me realize they were absolutely correct

ShooterAZ
05-11-2012, 11:09 AM
HRA made fewer, and overall quality is arguably thought to be higher. In time I think the value of the H&R will rise more and more, especially when CMP runs out of them. The late Springfields were very good also. You can't go wrong with either, but personally I would go with the H&R. I have several :)

Herb3
05-11-2012, 09:52 PM
I got mine from the CMP in January. I ordered a Springfield because I wanted a WWII vintage rifle. The one I got was a bit rough but it shots great which is really the main thing I care about. The people that received H&R M1's when I got my Springfield got some really nice rifles. It is all luck of the draw but I think you have a better chance of getting a really nice rifle with a H&R.

Snafu12
05-11-2012, 09:55 PM
North Store is worth a day trip
Fun to find the one the talks to you

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-12-2012, 11:24 PM
North Store is worth a day trip
Fun to find the one the talks to you

please tell me how this works , do i send paper work ahead or bring it with, it would be more than a day trip google maps tells me just over 7 hours , add in lunch and its a day there and a day back

but that isn't enough to stop me from going the wife wanted to see Ohio any way, now that would be a good time to drop the kids off at grandma's they don't do long car rides well , much better than they used to but still not well enough for a trip like that

smokemjoe
05-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Yous can also join the grand collecters club and use that to order form the CMP, HRAs are a little better gun and barrels I have found, if your looking for a shooter. Joe

wv109323
05-17-2012, 10:12 PM
The CMP North store is located on Camp Perry Ohio near Port Clinton Ohio. I have bought items from them while attending the national matches. You walk in with your paper work ,sort through racks of rifles that the store has checked and available for sale. You pick the one you want and pay your money.
They do have store hours and probably close at 4:00 P.M. If they are not busy the armorer will probably give you a hand on what to select.
As already said the H&R is a little rare. IIRC the H&R was made for the Korean Conflict and would have a manufacturer date in the 1950's. (mine does) SA was probably a WW2 rifle. I think the choice would be left up to what is available. I would call them and plan the trip. Many times the armorer will have a time frame to have a lot of rifle rebuilt and available to the public. The premier time to buy would be when that lot of rifles were released to be sold. An example of what I am trying to say is this.
CMP gets a shipment of rifles from wherever on May 1 2012. The armorer may be given a date of June 30 to have 200 rifles from that shipment available to the public. The ideal time to visit and buy would be July 1.