PDA

View Full Version : Keeeping track of what is in the cartridge

mdevlin53
05-10-2012, 03:55 PM
So i have two cartridges that i am working up loads for and two issues come to mind. If the case Boolit and primer are the same how do you guys keep track of what load is in which case. i have thought about seperate boxes but i then might need several boxes with only a few rounds per. I did not want to mark them with a sharpie so how is this typically done.

Next how about long term storage. I have made up some rounds and put them up for a couple months does anybody do anything but mark the box?

Don McDowell
05-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Masking tape on the cartridge box with each set of loads labeled.
You can write short hand details on the bullet with a sharpie.
With patched bullets using a soft pencil you can also write load details on the exposed portion of the patch.

Boz330
05-10-2012, 05:43 PM
I usually put a card from primer box with each row marked and what the load is.

Bob

oldracer
05-10-2012, 05:44 PM
I did as Don does with multiple boxes with tape labels on each one. I did load at least 10 loads as that was what Doug Knoell recommended and seemed to work out okay. The plastic cases are not very expensive if you get them from the source, J&J Plastics and they always have specials on weird colors and such so I bought in bulk for $2 each for 45-70 20 round cases.

Balduran
05-10-2012, 05:50 PM
i put markings on the primers. colors, Xs, lines ect with a card to designate.
been testing on cold days and spilled a box.

Seth Hawkins
05-10-2012, 06:32 PM
I bought a bunch of plastic ammo boxes bulk. I write the loads on yellow sticky notes and put them in the boxes. When I've settled on a load, I use adhesive load labels on the inside of the lid.

mdevlin53
05-10-2012, 07:01 PM
I like the color on the primer trick. When i take out the 38-55 for its first trip i intend to load half of the rounds with BP and the other half of them with smokless. It would be pretty easy to just use a black marker on the BP primers and then i could tell what is what. I bought a couple of the plastic boxes i will have to get some more.

Lead Fred
05-10-2012, 07:18 PM
I use the plastic boxes sold at Cabella's, and use a Sharpie to write on the inside of the box

6.5 mike
05-11-2012, 01:27 AM
I use both the color codeing on the primer & boolit nose & the sticky note. Also write the load info on the targets so I can review it when I get home.

Once I settle on the load, I use the little load info tags that used to come with boxes of bullets stuck to the inside of the box lid.

WARD O
05-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Color coding the primer with 'magic markers' and making a note card with details and a color swatch. After it has been fired the primer goes away and you can start over.

I frequently cut up the good part of used targets into 2"x3" note cards and then fold them up and insert into the cartridge box. Everything stays together nicely.

Longwood
05-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Most magic markers will wipe off with brake cleaner.
I is OK on all of my cartridge boxes but test it on one of anything plastic you intend to try it on.
Carb cleaner eats many plastics,, so avoid it.
Also, they now make Sharpies that wet erase with water.
Write on the inside of the lids so it does not get wiped off from handling.
I also like the sticky envelope labels and or packing tape.
A Sharpie will write on clear packing tape, but it is not exactly permanent, so the way I use it is for removable labels on things I do not want to get ink on.
I write on it then put on another layer of the clear tape if I want it to be sure it will not wipe off..

mdevlin53
05-11-2012, 07:10 PM
I am going to take some of your advice and set up a system. What i am concered with is that in at least two of my cases have been reformed into a completly different case from what is on the headstamp. I want to be sure that as unlikley as it might be no one is able to mistake the fact that they are reloads and may not be what they appear.

Mk42gunner
05-11-2012, 08:25 PM
I have decided that it is much better to write the info on the case with a sharpie when doing load developement. to many dumped boxes or putting the fired cases back in the wrong order. A short trip in the tumbler takes care of the old markings.

I have also used snack size ziplock baggies for load segregation. This works for five or ten rounds.

When reforming cases, I prefer to neck down instead of necking up. I have seen people try to put the wrong case in a rifle before.

Robert

Quigley284
05-11-2012, 09:25 PM
I made up a sheet on a Excel spread sheet that contains all the needed information. Keep track off which row is what in the MTM boxes then transfer information to the targets. Mike

M-Tecs
05-11-2012, 09:26 PM
I have decided that it is much better to write the info on the case with a sharpie when doing load developement. to many dumped boxes or putting the fired cases back in the wrong order. A short trip in the tumbler takes care of the old markings.

I have also used snack size ziplock baggies for load segregation. This works for five or ten rounds.

Robert

I do the same as Robert. Works very well.

bigted
05-11-2012, 10:31 PM
im also another that uses a sharp sharpie to mark my cases...it comes off easy and the few i load with this writing on them havent been harmed that i can tell. lighter fluid cleans em dandy also. way better then to take a chnace to mixup the tests and have to redo them.

montana_charlie
05-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Everything I was going to suggest has already been said at least once.

John Boy
05-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Charlie, one more for the gipper:smile:
Some times I put different powder charges in the same case. Rub 2 or more different permanent marker colors on the nose and record the color charges on a piece of paper in the box

When the rounds are shot - the marker colors will rub off onto the target. Allows the different charges to be shot at the same target and know where they print

05-13-2012, 01:48 PM
mdevlin53,
First thing to do is set up a log book. I use a three ring binder. I put together a little word document that repeats a load log on a single sheet of paper. I can print as many copies as I like. Each page holds five different loads. Pertinent info could include: unique load # (NOT the powder type!), number of rounds, gun, caliber, bullet, case, crimp, primer, powder, charge, filler/wad, OAL, BHN, group size, range, mean vel, extr. spread, stand. deviation, Notes/misc.

Next to each load log is space to indicate a color code in case more than one load is taken to the range. Example: Load # 22-10 is unique load #22 (for that caliber and gun) and 10 rounds are loaded. Next to that log I'll place a blue dot (or whatever color works) with a marker. Load # 23-10 is unique load #23 and 10 rounds were loaded. Next to that log I'll place a red dot with a marker. In my ammo box with primers up, I'll have 10 rounds with a blue dot on the primer and 10 rounds with a red dot on the primer. In the same box I'll have a small piece of paper with the two loads listed... #22-blue dot and #23-red dot. When I shoot a target I'll place the same info on the target... in this case one target will have #22 and the other #23. When I get back home I'll measure the targets and fill in the rest of the data on the two load logs. Like.... #22 will show a group size of 1.2" @ 50 yds and mean vel of 1225 fps and an SD of 15 fps. #23 will show a group size of 1.45", mean vel 1323 fps and SD of 19 fps.

Over time, I can compare all the loads tried and get an objective view of what works and what doesn't. Plus, 5 years later I can go back to the log book, look up a load and duplicate it.

Seems to work for me.

Longwood
05-13-2012, 10:45 PM
I have noticed that the paper address labels sold at walmart do not come off of some things very well.
For instance, powder measure hoppers.
I sometimes put on clear packing tape then a sticky paper address label and another piece of clear tape on top.
Easy to read,,,
Easy to remove.

TXGunNut
05-13-2012, 10:52 PM
When I have 5 or 10 "try" cartridges of one or more loads I use Zip-Loc baggies and write the load # on the outside with a Sharpie. I'll generally include the date as well to match up with my loading log in case I don't make it to the range in a timely manner. I also drop the fired cases back in the bag so I can check case condition, primer deformation and unburned powder when I get home. I don't usually put all the load info on the baggie as I want it to be an honest test of the load. I always have a favorite load when I'm loading but a somewhat blind test will let the rifle pick it's favorite.

boltons75
05-14-2012, 12:11 AM
I write on the case with a sharpie the powder charge, and keep them all in the same box.

Always carry, never tell.