PDA

View Full Version : Mange Cure: Dunk dog in used motor oil.

nelsonted1
05-10-2012, 12:17 AM
I was reading an earlier thread, "Why do my dogs...", and ran across mange being mentioned a couple times.

Our dog was very sick from mange. We brought her in to the vet for a shot. He said she would have died without treatment. Later, our neighbor Howard was looking down at the poor dog and said he had a dog dieing of mange in Vietnam. He said there obviously were vets in Vietnam with all the guard and scout dogs running around but they had no clue how to find one. Finally, they asked an old man what Vietnamese did with mange. He said they'd dunk the dog completely under a full drum of used engine oil. All the way to the bottom for as long as you dare.

Howard said they finally panicked and shoved the dog in a drum of used motor oil. The dog was cured!

Have any of you heard of this?

TED

nelsonted1
05-10-2012, 12:20 AM
He may have been cured cause he didn't want to be dunked again, maybe?

bowfin
05-10-2012, 12:23 AM
I have never heard of that. I might have to look up home vet remedies.

If that was all I had, I would sure try it. Mange is cause by a mite or scabies, so if one could wipe them out, it might help.

starmac
05-10-2012, 12:54 AM
That's all we did years ago, only we never dunked them, just wiped them down with it. lol

Twinkiethekid
05-10-2012, 01:45 AM
That's a new one on me! found this http://youtu.be/kF406lVfldo

Jim
05-10-2012, 05:44 AM
Grandaddy would 'paint' a Mangy dog with burnt oil using a 2" paint brush. The dog would be shut up in a kennel to keep it from rolling in the dirt. It sure cured the Mange, though.

slide
05-10-2012, 05:50 AM
I used to help my Dad wipe down dogs with the mange. I do remember it working. I wouldn't dunk the dog.

Rick N Bama
05-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Grandaddy would 'paint' a Mangy dog with burnt oil using a 2" paint brush. The dog would be shut up in a kennel to keep it from rolling in the dirt. It sure cured the Mange, though.

I remember my Dad using a rag to apply the oil, but yep, it cured the Mange.

Rick

imashooter2
05-10-2012, 07:11 AM
Effective or not, I can picture the wide eyed TV Bimbos reporting on this "animal cruelty" right now. "Warning: this shocking footage is very graphic. Younger viewers may wish to leave the room." :roll:

Bret4207
05-10-2012, 07:21 AM
As I understand it the mange was cured by the oil suffocating the mites and the sulfur in the oil helped with the itch. Sulfur is good for lots of skin/hoof issues. Oil of any kind will kill lice, mites, ticks, etc given time. Cattle oilers are common still, but they use special vegetable oils IIRC.

flounderman
05-10-2012, 08:30 AM
I was told years ago, sulpher and lard, which would be more organicly friendly. there are two types of mange. sarocophtic and demodectic. one is caused by a mite. the oil kills the mites. I used a hog mange oil years ago and they took it off the market. there's a chanch of petroleum oils causing internal problems. dogs probably licked it off, too. whatever the risk, as long as it cured the immediate problem, I was satisfied.

41 mag fan
05-10-2012, 09:42 AM
I figured in Vietnam, the dogs get the mange, the dogs became supper for some hungry Vietnamese.
Wonder what breed they prefer? I hear the Chinese/Koreans are partial to German Shephards. Don't know if thats true or not, just what I heard many yrs ago

Reload3006
05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Mange is caused by a Mite ...... an arachnid that some dogs are very allergic to. The oil would kill the mite. sounds reasonable to me. But I have to admit there has to be better treatments for that. But I had several old timers in the Ozarks tell me the same thing about motor Oil.

nelsonted1
05-10-2012, 10:07 AM
My sister had some 15 year old friends come down with a terrible case of crabs. They used Raid to kill the infestation. I wonder if Raid uses some kind of motor oil?

M-Tecs
05-10-2012, 10:10 AM
In humans coal oil than diesel fuel was used to kill head lice and crabs until after WWII. Today we have better products but in a SHTF scenario if my dog had the mange and I had the craps we would give it a try.:bigsmyl2:

M-Tecs
05-10-2012, 10:15 AM
My sister had some 15 year old friends come down with a terrible case of crabs. They used Raid to kill the infestation. I wonder if Raid uses some kind of motor oil?

Not good. From the Raid MSDS

PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS. HAZARDS TO HUMANS AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS. CAUTION: Harmful if swallowed or absorbed through skin. Avoid breathing spray mist. Avoid contact with skin or clothing. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling. provide adequate ventilation of area to be treated. Do not apply to humans, pets, plants or contaminate feed, foodstuffs, dishes or utensils. cover and avoid spray fish aquarium. Cover or remove exposed food, dishes, or utensils and food handling equipment. Keep out of reach of children. STATEMENT OF PRACTICAL TREATMENT: Do not induce vomiting. Call a physician or a poison control center immediately. Eyes: flush with plenty of water. Skin: Wash promptly with soap and water. Get medical attention if irritation persists or develops. Inhaled: Remove victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if indicated. NOTE TO PHYSICIANS: Product contains petroleum distillates (aspiration hazard). PHYSICAL OR CHEMICAL HAZARDS: FLAMMABLE. CONTENTS UNDER PRESSURE. Keep away from heat, sparks, open flame or pilot light. Do not puncture or incinerate container. Exposure to temperatures above 130 deg F may cause bursting.

UNIQUEDOT
05-10-2012, 10:19 AM
I have always used old motor oil, but the last time i treated one of my dogs i mixed a pound of goex blackpowder and used motor oil. It cured the animal much faster than plain motor oil due to the amount of sulpher in blackpowder. I learned a lot from my granpa whom never seeked the advice of health professionals for his family including his animals as he had his own remedies and treatment.

bowfin
05-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Read up on different ideas last night. It seems most any oil or greasy substance will work. I myself would opt for a different type of oil than used motor oil if I had a choice.

Many also swear by borax mixed with hydrogen peroixide mixed into a paste.

Sulphur is mentioned a lot as well, to stop the itching.

felix
05-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Adjust the "killer/smothering" chemical to a ph of 7.2 using any additional chemical and the dog won't itch. I'd hate to use anything which is not edible, just in case. Like the movie said, got to be sure to kill the mite eggs as well with the concoction used. ... felix

JeffHolt
05-10-2012, 11:45 AM
I wonder if sheep get mange - or does the lanolin they produce help prevent it from occurring?

41 mag fan
05-10-2012, 11:59 AM

A very good friend of mine was the chemist who invented Raid.

I'll ask him next time i see or talk to him, if I can remember.

hammerhead357
05-10-2012, 11:59 AM
I used to know some people that swore that bacon drippings would work to stop the mange..FWTW....Wes

montana_charlie
05-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Finally, they asked an old man what Vietnamese did with mange. He said they'd dunk the dog completely under a full drum of used engine oil. All the way to the bottom for as long as you dare.
Ah, yes!
Obviously, the old man was a member of that group of jungle-based insurgent animal doctors known as the vet cong ...

CM

starmac
05-10-2012, 02:02 PM
I knew a wetback that got the crabs, he tried several pesticides that didn't work, I don't know which brands.
He finally used GASOLINE and it took care of the crab problem but burnt him so that he walked pretty bow legged for a week or so. lol

oldred
05-10-2012, 02:33 PM
The oil remedy has been around for eons and it does work, dunking the dog is hardly necessary since a simple wipe-down does the trick. Also a vet that was discussing doing this, he would not recommend it for obvious reasons but did admit it works, said to NEVER use used motor oil since depending on the type and amount of contamination it could be lethally toxic to the dog, clean fresh oil works just as well and is not nearly as poisonous.

oldred
05-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Not good. From the Raid MSDS

PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS. HAZARDS TO HUMANS AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS. CAUTION: Harmful if swallowed or absorbed through skin. Avoid breathing spray mist. Avoid contact with skin or clothing. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling. provide adequate ventilation of area to be treated. Do not apply to humans, pets, plants or contaminate feed, foodstuffs, dishes or utensils. cover and avoid spray fish aquarium. Cover or remove exposed food, dishes, or utensils and food handling equipment. Keep out of reach of children. STATEMENT OF PRACTICAL TREATMENT: Do not induce vomiting. Call a physician or a poison control center immediately. Eyes: flush with plenty of water. Skin: Wash promptly with soap and water. Get medical attention if irritation persists or develops. Inhaled: Remove victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if indicated. NOTE TO PHYSICIANS: Product contains petroleum distillates (aspiration hazard). PHYSICAL OR CHEMICAL HAZARDS: FLAMMABLE. CONTENTS UNDER PRESSURE. Keep away from heat, sparks, open flame or pilot light. Do not puncture or incinerate container. Exposure to temperatures above 130 deg F may cause bursting.

Yes MSDS sheets are a good source of information when dealing with most dangerous substances such as this one.

M-Tecs
05-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Yes MSDS sheets are a good source of information when dealing with most dangerous substances such as this one.

Very nice:bigsmyl2:

Crawdaddy
05-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I was raised in the rural deep south. very common to do this. And it DOES work. It has been around for at least 50 years as a treatment.

Like you say- the dog really doesnt want to be treated a second time.

Crawdaddy
05-10-2012, 03:14 PM
I figured in Vietnam, the dogs get the mange, the dogs became supper for some hungry Vietnamese.
Wonder what breed they prefer? I hear the Chinese/Koreans are partial to German Shephards. Don't know if thats true or not, just what I heard many yrs ago

B.O. says that pit bulls are very tasty!

Y2K
05-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Years ago, I used mineral oil to clear up ring worm on 4-H calves. Just rubbed it on with my hands.

Blammer
05-10-2012, 04:02 PM
olive oil works too

Crawdaddy
05-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Ah, yes!
Obviously, the old man was a member the group of jungle-based insurgent animal doctors known as the vet cong ...

CM

:groner:

wv109323
05-10-2012, 05:44 PM
The same principle is applied to fruit trees.
It is recommended that fruit trees be sprayed in February with "Dormant Oil". This oil seeps into the bark and smothers mites and insects and eggs that reside there during the winter.

montana_charlie
05-10-2012, 06:34 PM
So, if you soak your dog with dormant oil, will he go into hibernation?
CM

softpoint
05-10-2012, 07:11 PM
B.O. says that pit bulls are very tasty!
No one ever told him "pit" bull was the breed, not the method of preparation.................

gandydancer
05-10-2012, 08:09 PM
I believe most of them mites or what ever breath through their body so any type of a good oil will kill them. but then again I could be wrong. GD

nelsonted1
05-10-2012, 09:02 PM
The oil remedy has been around for eons and it does work, dunking the dog is hardly necessary since a simple wipe-down does the trick. Also a vet that was discussing doing this, he would not recommend it for obvious reasons but did admit it works, said to NEVER use used motor oil since depending on the type and amount of contamination it could be lethally toxic to the dog, clean fresh oil works just as well and is not nearly as poisonous.

I suppose that may be true for humans, too. I understand used motor oil works for pink eye. At least that was what a girlfriend claimed she used to clear up her problem.

DIRT Farmer
05-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Deisel fuel kills ticks, fleas and cures mange. It also will aid in healing of cuts. Walnut hulls kills the above and works well on ring worms.

I am currently using permathone in the cattle oiler for flys and what ever else crawls on the cattle. Mixed to directions amd sprayed on clothes it keeps the ticks and chiggers off me. The sane stuff that comes in the high dollar spray can in the sporting goods store.

Used motor oil from the old high sulfer deisel engines kills fleas ticks and mange quickly on dogs, apperently better for them than the pests.

jameslovesjammie
05-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Isn't used motor oil loaded with carcinogens?

http://www.safety-kleen.com/MSDS/81451rev9-20-07.pdf

Charley
05-10-2012, 09:56 PM
A very good friend of mine was the chemist who invented Raid.

I'll ask him next time i see or talk to him, if I can remember.
You might ask him which of the couple dozen formulations, active ingrediants, diluents, inert ingrediants, and propellants he "invented".

Arnie
05-10-2012, 10:02 PM
A guy i worked for when i was in High School had a German Shepard that spent all day under the house and on patrol all night .He caught mange and the vet said it was from the dirt under the house because the sun never gets to it and its a good place for the mites to live . That dog smelled like he had been dead for a month till it cleared up. Arnie

geargnasher
05-10-2012, 11:03 PM
I can just see a dog painted with lard and sulfur. It would have every bit of it licked off in about ten minutes!

Gear

Big Boomer
05-10-2012, 11:05 PM
When I was growing up my father worked in the old fields of East-central Ky. Every spring he would take any dog we had - and we always had a dog and a cat or two for keeping mice and rats under control - and he would take the dog by the head, thumbs covering the dog's eyes, and dip the dog into a tank of raw crude oil. Ticks, fleas and mange were never a problem.

carolblankenship
11-11-2017, 07:24 PM
Dear Ted, Never heard of dunking the dog to the bottom of the oil drum, but I have personally cured 2 pure breds with used motor oil and sulfur.....had them shots for it....used Happy Jack spray....they only got balder....Got my nerve up (I'm a woman and hate the idea of oil and a mangy dog), donned my Playtex gloves, mixed a box of sulfur in the contents of my drained oil from an oil change.....applied the mixture all over their bodies...including their genitalia...both were boys....all around their eyes inside the ear flaps....all of their bodies....rubbed it in really well as I went....tied them up until the oil wore off...all their hair came back beautifully....this is a cure that I personally know has worked since in the mid fifties.....Now all those animal rights people might dub this a cruel.....that's your opinion, but personally, I think it is way more cruel to leave an animal with mange.....NOT EVERYONE CAN AFFORD A VET BILL.....and few people will even touch a mangy dog to take one in.....JUST SAYING.....

ShooterAZ
11-11-2017, 08:07 PM
Hello Carol,

Welcome to Cast Boolits! This is kind of an old thread, but we all sincerely appreciate your contribution to it. I will remember this remedy. I never had a dog that had mange, but if it ever happens I will look up this thread. Thank you for joining us.

edler7
11-11-2017, 11:04 PM
Thread cutting oil is high sulfur. It might work, but boy...would they stink !

Kosh75287
11-11-2017, 11:41 PM
What about 90-Wt gear oil that does in the differential of rear-drive vehicles? I sure wouldn't ever DUNK a dog in petroleum products, but spot-treating might work. Like many other things suggested, it WILL stink to
high heaven, but just might work.

Outpost75
11-12-2017, 12:05 AM
Lard oil and sulphur works well. The sulphur tastes bad enough that the dog will quit licking after a bit.

john.k
11-12-2017, 12:09 AM
Out here,dogs get a type of demodectic mange from horses thats near incurable.even with modern systemic poisons .There no need to dunk your dog,spraying with a soluble oil does the same thing,just keep the fur oily all the time,not dripping.This was the reason for old timers having "greasy hair"and hair oils.Discourages head lice,which are still very common in some areas.The demodectic horse mange persists on the ground for ten years or more after horses are gone,which gives an idea how tough it is.

Hannibal
11-12-2017, 04:04 AM
An astringent, like 'Sea Breeze' is QUITE effective on pests such as lice, and does not expose the infected to caustic poisons such as are contained in products like 'Rid-Ex'.

But 'Sea Breeze' is not approved for lice control. You draw your own conclusions.

As for mange, I've no direct experience with it. But I should think the oil imparts a smothering effect, and the carcinogens contained in used oil are not the curative ingredients.

But what do I know? Again, I'd suggest you draw your own conclusions.

I can not afford to take dogs and cats to the vet, either. 'Why do you have them, then?' you ask? Not my idea. Help me figure out how to keep 'civilized folk' from dumping their problems on my road, and I'll not have dogs and cats.

Might as well figure out how to eliminate the National Debt and cure cancer whilst we're at it, eh? BAH!

So it goes.

owejia
11-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Can remember my Father dipping them in a barrel of creosote, holding onto the ears and dunking them in it. The creosote was thin like water and they would shake it off like when they get wet. Used borax mixed in water for people pink eye. Iodine for ringworms on cattle. Put kerosene on cuts and wounds on people, didn't burn like alochol.To cure warts on cattle, crush the wart with wire pliers and the body will make anti-bodies to destroy them. Lots of old time cures that are cheaper than visits to the vet. Sulfur mixed with Vaseline makes a good wound protector for livestock also.

bob208
11-12-2017, 01:21 PM
one grand son cae back from his worthless mother with scabies. parents spent a ton of money to cure them. two weeks later after a visit. he came home with them again. they were going to have to spend the money again. then I remembered what my grandfather did when I had chiggers. wipe then spots down with kerosene worked better then the meds. the doctor was prescribing.

Col4570
11-12-2017, 01:32 PM
I know that Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline) will kill Ticks so it stands to reason that Oil might kill Mites.Aparently with the Ticks they breath through their skin but when smeared with Vaseline they expire.

Hogtamer
11-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Yes, wiping it on works well. Used motor oil is the best hog bait on the planet too. Pour it in a sandy area and there will soon be a wallow you can lose your truck in. They know instinctively it helps with bugs. Of course I have never done this as the EPA disapproves. They also love creosote posts to rub for the same reason.

mold maker
11-12-2017, 04:01 PM
Motor oil was the standard treatment when I was growing up. Usually, I held the dog while Dad applied it with a rag, rubbing it in several inches around the infected area.
He used, used oil because it was free. I don't remember ever having to do a second treatment.

Driver33
11-12-2017, 07:36 PM
My grandpa kept a jug of used oil with a couple spoonfuls of sulphur mixed in it to take care of mange an it worked well. An if I remember correctly he mixed sulfur with petroleum jelly for ring worm

Blanket
11-13-2017, 09:36 PM
Can remember my Father dipping them in a barrel of creosote, holding onto the ears and dunking them in it. The creosote was thin like water and they would shake it off like when they get wet. Used borax mixed in water for people pink eye. Iodine for ringworms on cattle. Put kerosene on cuts and wounds on people, didn't burn like alochol.To cure warts on cattle, crush the wart with wire pliers and the body will make anti-bodies to destroy them. Lots of old time cures that are cheaper than visits to the vet. Sulfur mixed with Vaseline makes a good wound protector for livestock also. I wonder how bad the creosote burn was, like a turpentine cat. Most chainsaw bar oils are vegetable based wonder if that would be better

GhostHawk
11-13-2017, 10:02 PM
"To cure warts on cattle, crush the wart with wire pliers and the body will make anti-bodies to destroy them."

I had this happen to a wart on my thumb, got smashed accidentally. I'd had it for a couple of years, nothing really touched it.

After getting smashed it bleed like crazy, hurt like the dickens for 3 days. But 2 months later it was gone and not even a sign it had been there. This works.

Wolfer
11-13-2017, 10:08 PM
Growing up in the southern MO. Ozarks in a hunting dog family Ive seen and done lots of mangy dogs in used motor oil. It works great but the dog stays greasy for quite awhile.

A much better solution is automatic transmission fluid. I always used new instead of used. Dogs with lots of white would look pretty bloody for a day or two but in a few days would look normal. As soon as the bots hatched I coated them again. Just wiped it on with my hands.

OldBearHair
11-13-2017, 11:02 PM
And then there is Scabies that get on sheep, people and whatever else I suppose. Caught a bunch of some of those little critters while sitting under a little tree near Carlsbad NM while Antelope hunting. Next time I went to the mountains to hunt elk, slept in the sleeping bag again and yep, had them little fellers again. It was hard to get rid of them then. Nearly all the stuff that is for sale to kill head lice, fleas, and etc. have a product called Permethrin at 1% levels. Permethrin 36.8% SFR can be purchased online. Mix it to 1% in water in a pump up sprayer use it for mosquitoes, fleas, mites, ticks or whatever. Hunters are now wetting their hunting clothes and let them dry completely before wearing them. Repels seed ticks and the limes disease carrying ticks. Saw a demonstration of a tick placed in the center of a 6 inch square of blue denim treated thusly. It began to crawl off. Didn't make it to the edge before dying.
My Brother-in-law was a guager of oil tanks near Henrietta Texas and had coon dogs and if they got mange, they were pitched into a slushpit of tank bottoms and had to swim out. Got rid of mangemites.

Hannibal
11-14-2017, 03:32 AM
And then there is Scabies that get on sheep, people and whatever else I suppose. Caught a bunch of some of those little critters while sitting under a little tree near Carlsbad NM while Antelope hunting. Next time I went to the mountains to hunt elk, slept in the sleeping bag again and yep, had them little fellers again. It was hard to get rid of them then. Nearly all the stuff that is for sale to kill head lice, fleas, and etc. have a product called Permethrin at 1% levels. Permethrin 36.8% SFR can be purchased online. Mix it to 1% in water in a pump up sprayer use it for mosquitoes, fleas, mites, ticks or whatever. Hunters are now wetting their hunting clothes and let them dry completely before wearing them. Repels seed ticks and the limes disease carrying ticks. Saw a demonstration of a tick placed in the center of a 6 inch square of blue denim treated thusly. It began to crawl off. Didn't make it to the edge before dying.
My Brother-in-law was a guager of oil tanks near Henrietta Texas and had coon dogs and if they got mange, they were pitched into a slushpit of tank bottoms and had to swim out. Got rid of mangemites.

My doctor put me on low-dose aspirin a few years ago. About the same time, I tested positive for Lyme disease. They couldn't tell me how long I'd had it, nor what I should do about it. I'm 'an anomaly'.

Now, I've no idea what is cause and what is effect, but while I've found ticks crawling on me, I've not had one bite me since. Maybe it's the aspirin, and maybe they think I'm already dead.

(?)

Big Boomer
11-15-2017, 12:26 PM
Forgot that I had posted on this thread a few years ago. Big Boomer