PDA

View Full Version : Favorite reloading references?

John in WI
05-09-2012, 08:27 PM
I was wondering what everyone considers to be there reloading "bible"? I've only been reloading for about 3 months, and so far have chosen the wimpiest loads I could find just to make sure my technique was ok. So far my 12 gauge and .38 are in fine shape. I cast 2 coffee cans full of #1 and #F buck and a couple hundred boolits for my .38. And already my lady is concerned why I have buckets of lead based junk in the garage.... (I guess I'm addicted!)

I'm just wondering what everyone consults for there reloading. I'm amazed at how much discrepency there is between websites, forums.... How some of the powder makers are extremely "generous" when listing velocities, and how some folks on the forums (not this one, as it turns out) use some powder loads that are 15 or 20% higher than the max listed...

Where do you guys go for HONEST, solid reloading data?

LatheRunner
05-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Hello John in WI;

I use the data listed by the powder and bullet manufacturers. I know I can trust them.

Casting is addictive. I have a about a thousand 38s cast. Need to reload and shoot some-

more. Then I can cast somemore. Yup it sure is addictive.

Have a great day.

LatheRunner

The Ranger
05-09-2012, 08:56 PM
"Modern Reloading, 2nd edition" by Richard Lee

geargnasher
05-09-2012, 10:11 PM
I try very hard to avoid any notion that there is one "reloading bible". I consult as many resources as I can for every endeavour.

Gear

Larry Gibson
05-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Lyman's Cast bullet Hand books, 3rd and 4th editions. The 3rd edition is out of print but they are found in used book stores. A Lyman #49 reloading manual also has the basic info for reloading both jacketed and cast.

Hornady's, Sierra's and Speer's reloading manuals are next on my list. Lee's and Hodgdons are a rehash out of other manuals and publications. You can go online and get the Hodgdon data. You can also get most of the powder makers data on line.

For older out of print cartridges some of the older reloadding manuals, especially Lyman's older manuals, have some data that can be used. PO Ackleys books are very interesting but the data is suspect. Phil Sharpe's Complete Guide to Handloading is also a very good old reference.

Larry Gibson

kenyerian
05-09-2012, 10:33 PM
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp ,http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/ ,
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

Here is some links that I refer to . Over the years I have have acumulated several of Lymans reloading books, and a Speer. Plus I refer to the Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/867465/lyman-cast-bullet-handbook-4th-edition-book

05-09-2012, 10:48 PM
For boolits: Lyman's 3rd and 4th Cast Bullet Handbooks.

For bullets: Any number of Lyman's Reloading Handbooks, and Hornady and Sierra.

Additionally, I have many years worth of powder manufacturers' publications, but find them to be somewhat superficial, compared to the above.

There is no one "bible" -- the more manuals you have the more informed you will be.

runfiverun
05-09-2012, 11:22 PM
i pick up a new load book about once a year, i try to grab a different one.
i look in the powder manufacturers book first.
alliant,hodgdon,and accurate see a lot of use.
and then i'll look in the lee to see if a load is in there closer to what i want to use.
for cast i look in the lyman and rcbs books first, then look elsewhere, depending on what i want a load to do.

MikeS
05-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Almost any manual published by the powder manufacturers, or Lyman, or bullet makers, etc. are usually good sources of info. If I'm loading for a caliber I haven't loaded for before I will look in several manuals, and then select a load thats in more than one manual, and/or just seems like it should be safe judging by the data in those books.

I'll tell you where NOT to get load data from, and that's the internet. Don't trust any load data you find on the internet unless it's from a website of one of the sources listed above. The only other exception to the no internet rule is from people on a forum such as this one, where you've gotten to know the person offering the info, and you feel you can trust them. What I mean by that is that if I got a load recommendation from one of the old time members here, who I trust, I would trust it, but if I got a load from a newbie to a forum, I would double and triple check it before using it.

3006guns
05-10-2012, 05:45 PM
For basic cast load info....Lyman or RCBS books.

For a lot of info on one particular caliber.......the spiral bound "Load Books".

For variety and help.....this website and everyone on it.

For a good laugh.....Phil Sharpe's book on handloading (good for historical reference though)......I have my reasons.

TXBRILL
05-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Over the years I have aquired many. I always pick up a new Powder company book when I see one. It seems like now I mostly use the Hodgden on line for jacketed and shot shells, and then the Lee 2nd edition which I find easy to use. Fot cast boolits I pretty much stick to Lymans #3. ( I don't have a # 4)

John in WI
05-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Well, it looks like online shopping is the only place to find reloading books. I hit Barnes and Nobel today, along with the local Cabela's (where I get powder and other supplies) and another outdoor store and not a single book on the subject. TONS of books on "defensive handgunning" because WI just passed concealed carry, but very little on the actual sport of shooting, and nothing at all about reloading.
That kind of surprised me--with the way ammo prices are going.

TJF1
05-10-2012, 07:03 PM
I`m with gear get all the books you can
then read and reread them.
Terry

mdi
05-10-2012, 09:50 PM
My first look-see is a Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd or 4th, or Lyman's 48th. Since 99% of my reloading consists of lead bullets I rarely consult any of my other manuals. BTW; I rarely pay any attention to any load data from any forum "expert", reloading website, or "Gun Shop Guru". Sometimes a trip to a powder manufacturer's website, but mostly the two listed above.

If I load any jacketed bullets I go with the manufacturer's load data (Hornady bullets, Hornady manual, Speer, Sierra, etc the same).

HangFireW8
05-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Complete Guide to Reloading, Philip B Sharpe, Funk and Wagnalls, later editions preferred for having more data.

Frank V
05-10-2012, 11:11 PM
John in WI
I really like reloading manuals. I buy new ones when they come out. I use them because there is so much difference in loads due to different bullets.

I really like & use the Speer #14
the Hornaday 8th edition
The Lyman Pistol & Revolver manual
The Lyman Reloading manual 49
I also buy the Hodgdons manual. The Hodgdons manual is printed every year & it's in the form of a magazine. Besides loading data from Hodgdon's own powders, they have several articles each issue that are pretty interesting.

I never throw away a reloading manual. I have several from the 50s & 60s. They are a fantastic reference for older powders.
If you can locate a Speer #8 they have some loads that are now considered bery hot. That is pretty interesting to read what used to be accepted normal.

Hope this doesn't just confuse you.
Frank

casterofboolits
05-10-2012, 11:49 PM
I have severl manuals, but stick with Lyman for 98% of my reloading.

Bret4207
05-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Sierra and Hornady for jacketed, Lyman cast editions (all 4 of them) for cast, Ken Waters "Pet Loads" for both. If I could only have one it would be Pet Loads.

captaint
05-11-2012, 07:39 AM
John - Once we learn HOW to load ammo correctly, we sometimes need to know WHAT to load. I have a handful of manufacturers manuals, all very good. But anymore, when I want to know what to load, especially cast - I go to Ken Waters Pet Loads.. It's really very good and complete. The complete edition is, like, 2 inches thick. great book.. enjoy Mike

ku4hx
05-11-2012, 08:18 AM
All Lyman manuals and manufacturer's data both online and written. Lyman data probably 99.99% of the time.

Lizard333
05-11-2012, 08:22 AM
I prefer these manuals. I get data from bullet manufactures and powder manufacturers. They also have cast boolit data as well. Gives me several references to check between all in one spot. 44300

Get as many books as you can. Once you get a feel for what your doing, you will get more comfortable.

Kraschenbirn
05-11-2012, 08:53 AM
I've got a small library of reloading manuals, manufacturer's data pamphlets, and my own notebooks going back to the '60s but, for 90% of my reloading today, the 'go-to' references are either Water's "Pet Loads" or Lee's "Modern Reloading".

Bill