PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a reliable 22 Semi Auto Handgun

wtfooptimax200
05-09-2012, 08:12 PM
I want a decent semi auto 22 for plinking, shooting 22 falling plate matches, and introducing newbies to shooting. All signs seem to point me in the direction of the Ruger Mark III. Are there any other suggestions? The one issue that I have with the Ruger is the grip angle. I love the feel of some of the 1911 clones, but they seem to suffer from questionable reliability.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Branden

cabezaverde
05-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Look at the Buckmark also before making a decision. And, if you decide Ruger, look at a Mark II.

Kraschenbirn
05-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Ruger 22/45? Mine shoots better than I can hold and functions well with everything from Wally World bulk-pack Federals to RWS Match.

Bill

dpaultx
05-09-2012, 10:55 PM
As cabezaverde commented above, the MK-II is a better choice than the MK-III. No loaded round indicator or magazine disconnecter or any of that other lawyer inspired BS. If you like the 1911 grip then go with the Ruger 22/45. I'm not real wild about the plastic grip frame of the 22/45 but as far as reliability goes, any of the Ruger 22 auto pistols are hard to beat.

Whichever version you decide on, buy the target model, with the heavy barrel and adjustable sights, and drop in a Clark, or a Volquartson, trigger-kit and you'll have a top-notch competition piece for not a whole lot of money.

TJF1
05-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Check out the new ruger sr22
terry

jh45gun
05-10-2012, 12:14 AM
I like my 22A Smith&Wesson and I just found that the Customer service is excellent. I had a issue with the barrel release and I sent it back and they put a new barrel on it and shipped it back to me no charge. They take care of shipping to them also. What I like about this gun is a excellent trigger, accurate and the built in scope rail for mounting scopes or red dot type sights with out no hassle. It has a good comfortable feeling set of grips also.

Longwood
05-10-2012, 12:42 AM
I owned several 22 pistols and the short barreled Smith and Wesson model 41 wins hands down.
Super accurate, has great target sights and will always be worth more than you pay for it.

Silvercreek Farmer
05-10-2012, 04:00 PM
I love my 22/45 with the 5.5 target barrel, but it does choke about once every 50 -100 rounds on bulk federal ammo, usually a FTE, haven't tried other brands as I only plink with it...

FLINTNFIRE
05-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Love the ruger mkII in bull barrel and tapered target models ,buckmarks were good also , have had a lot of fun with both

Artful
05-11-2012, 12:15 AM
Reliable tough 22LR pistol - Ruger Mk 2 was my choice - prior to that, I changed from a High Standard and before that Colt Woodsman. All work well for me.

HDS
05-11-2012, 03:03 AM
Look at the Buckmark also before making a decision. And, if you decide Ruger, look at a Mark II.

Buckmark or Ruger Mk3 I think. The Mk3 has some annoying features but they can be removed and in exchange I get the mag eject where it should be. I got rid of the mag safety and chamber indicator both. Next up is a volquartsen trigger kit.

If a heel mag is no biggie though a used mk2 is always a solid choice.

If the grip angle of the Mk2/3 bothers the OP then look more closely at the buckmark and Ruger 22/45.

boltons75
05-11-2012, 03:08 AM
The buckmark gives you an awesome trigger out of the box.

Always carry, never tell.

dragon813gt
05-11-2012, 06:22 AM
Beretta U22 Neos. It does not look like a conventional pistol. It's the most reliable, easy to clean, and least picky 22 pistol I own. It also out shoots my MKII. For a new shooter the full length top rail aids in aiming since there is a solid focal plane on top. Optics are easy to add and remove because of the rail also. It doesn't get a lot of love because of it's looks, which I like a lot. But don't overlook it.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/Firearms/BerettaNeos013.jpg

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

VA Shooter
05-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Get a Ruger you will not be sorry

Longwood
05-11-2012, 11:45 AM
After shooting a friends Smith and Wesson model 46, I bought a Model 41.
Lots of our friends tried every other make and model but they all ended up with Model 41 Smiths.
You wont be sorry if you buy a Ruger or HiStandard,,,,
unless a friend has a 41.

L1A1Rocker
05-11-2012, 12:37 PM
I've always enjoyed plinking with the Ruger MkII. When the 22-45 came out I quickly got one of those. It's not exactly like the feel of the 1911 but I do like the angle better and the buttens and switches are in the right place.

I've also got some experience with the Buckmark. A great pistol too. The Buckmark does run a lot cleaner because of the frame being open on two sides when the bolt is back.

Between the two the Ruger has a more rugged feel to it. I may be wrong but the Buckmark just has a "dainty" feel to it to me. I'm also a big silencer guy. Because the Buckmark opens on two sides it does not silence as well as the Ruger - lots more chamber noise.

My choice has been to go with the Ruger MkII 22-45. I don't know if it means anything to you but, not only does the MkIII have all the lawyer safety BS on it, it also has a pressed in barrel. The MkII's are threaded.

I've not seen that Berreta before. Pretty cool looking. I may keep my eye out for one of those.

cabezaverde
05-11-2012, 12:42 PM
No comparison in the triggers. The Buckmark is out of the box what the Ruger trigger is after buying some parts.

Longwood
05-11-2012, 02:59 PM
The adjustable trigger alone, is enough to sell me on the 41.
The short barrel pistol is as accurate as the long barrel and comes with awesome target sights that will return to other settings.
I could go on and on about my competition and their attempts with Brownings, Rugers and Hi-Standard target pistols.
They all went to Smiths eventually.
The worst expensive 22 was a Berreta target model. I can't remember which one but the trigger was so bad it made the gun awful. No-one could hit well with it.
Don't get me wrong, I am not bad mouthing any of the other guns. They are all fun and pretty darned accurate but some are better than others and for the money, I will go with the 41 until I see better.

HDS
05-12-2012, 01:25 AM
I have only heard good about the 41s, but they are more expensive. If you buy new, but I have realized that buying new is often a mugs game.

crabo
05-12-2012, 01:41 AM
As cabezaverde commented above, the MK-II is a better choice than the MK-III. No loaded round indicator or magazine disconnecter or any of that other lawyer inspired BS. If you like the 1911 grip then go with the Ruger 22/45. I'm not real wild about the plastic grip frame of the 22/45 but as far as reliability goes, any of the Ruger 22 auto pistols are hard to beat.

Whichever version you decide on, buy the target model, with the heavy barrel and adjustable sights, and drop in a Clark, or a Volquartson, trigger-kit and you'll have a top-notch competition piece for not a whole lot of money.

I agree with all of the above. I put a Hogue Handall on my mine, and really like the way it feels.

Castaholic
05-12-2012, 02:31 AM
+1 for Buckmark. I really like mine.

MBTcustom
05-13-2012, 03:28 PM
If you are looking for a new production gun, I would unwaveringly suggest the ruger (dont knock the handle angle till you try it, its very natural for the low recoiling .22)
However, if you want the best that has ever been made, I would trade two Rugers for the venerable Colt Woodsman. Its smaller, lighter, and better made than anything that has been mentioned so far. They are a little more expensive, but in my opinion, its worth every penny of it.
My vote goes to the Colt Woodsman!

Hammerhead
05-15-2012, 09:10 PM
If you're looking for a reliable pistol that looks, feels and shoots like a real pistol, take a look at a CZ Kadet.
Kinda' spendy, but worth it.
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo205/FF1063/ff%201063/75B-1-1.jpg

greywolf444
05-24-2012, 12:13 PM
For an affordable, reliable, accurate pistol it is the Buckmark hands down. The Smith is the top of the class but you can buy a couple of buckmarks for what they cost. My Buckmark is squirrel head accurate out as far as I can see them. Runs flawlessly on cheap federals for cheap range fun. I have a mark 1 also and don't like shooting it as much. For me its just a better gun than the ruger in terms of fit to hand, ergonomics, trigger is better out of the box, grip angle is just right for me. Both are equally accurate, though. (no doubt those rugers can shoot and are probably more durable than the buckmark)

john hayslip
05-24-2012, 12:46 PM
I also like the military 1911 grip angle and want the same in my 22's. I never cared for the trigger in the original slant grip Rugers but the 22/45 model has a trigger that is light crisp and doesn't have a lot of overtravel. Before shooting on the Marine Corps team I picked up a High Standard military model that I still have. The Corps required shooting the Smith 41 (or whatever number they had) and it was ok but I still preferred the High Standard with its shorter barrel- I see they are remaking them but haven't seen one or had a chance to play with it. Recently purchased a 22/45 with the carbon fiber lower and it's a nice pistol with a good trigger (like a glass rod breaking)