PDA

View Full Version : 2 cav cast iron mold for a 480 Ruger?

buck1
04-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Does anybody make a production Cast iron 2 or more cav mold for the 480 ruger/475???

mastercast.com
04-14-2007, 02:26 AM
I am going to ty this one again. Mu computer blew the last reply to cyberspace and beyond.

Magma Engineering makes a 370 grain RNFP that shoots really well.

www.magmaengineering.com

Get a one cavity mold for a bullet that heavy. An iron mold holds way too much heat for a two cavity mold that heavy if you are intested in production. The bullets that heavy in an iron mold will frost at the point they sit side by side in the mold and will be undersize at that point.

Trying to run a two cavity iron mold for a bullet that heavy without frosting, will make a man lose his religion in short order, if he is after a reasonable amount of production in a timely manner.

Hope this was of help.

Mike

dubber123
04-14-2007, 05:12 AM
If I may ask, why does it have to be iron? I too like this kind of mold, but my finest molds are without a doubt my LBT's, and they are aluminum.

Bass Ackward
04-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Personally, I say go get the single cavity which will probably cast under size anyway and learn the valued principals of conservation and .... patience. :grin:

Where you live, I would think that you could mold single cavity, 22s in large aluminum blocks using a Bunsen burner under a 40# pot.

buck1
04-14-2007, 11:48 AM
I got in on the Lee 6 cav alum group buy. But cast iron has always been good to me. I was thinking of running two 2 cav molds at the same time.
I forgot about LBT , Is he making molds again??

""Where you live, I would think that you could mold single cavity, 22s in large aluminum blocks using a Bunsen burner under a 40# pot.""

And sometimes I dont even need the Bunson burner!!LOL!!

""Personally, I say go get the single cavity which will probably cast under size anyway and learn the valued principals of conservation and .... patience. ""

I tried to learn the art of pateince ,but it took too long! ;) LOL!! .......Thanks Guys!!..........Buck

Lloyd Smale
04-14-2007, 01:18 PM
ballistic cast does.