PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 55

LAH
04-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Pick one up today at a gun show. New in box, 15.00. :bigsmyl2:

Creeker

45nut
04-13-2007, 09:05 PM
I own two,,,I really like them myself. One of my first pieces of reloading gear was a 55 and a All-American press of the same vintage. Neither will go anywhere without me.

LAH
04-13-2007, 09:18 PM
You have good taste. My first set up was the same.

Junior1942
04-13-2007, 09:30 PM
My Lyman 55 was in a 5-gallon bucket of rusty reloading stuff I bought from a guy for $5. Some oil and some emory cloth and several hours later I had myself a dandy powder thrower. I like it MUCH better than my RCBS. It's cool the way I can clamp the 55 to a shelf on the back of my loading bench.

The guy's dead dad was a reloader/gun nut, and the bucket and lots of other stuff, including an 03A3, was in the guy's leaky garage. I figure his dad rolled over in his grave.. . .

monadnock#5
04-13-2007, 10:52 PM
I have a Lyman 55 that I have found works great with the Lee turret press.
I've been trying off and on for the last two or three months to buy another one on Ebay. Still haven't bought one as I won't bid more than $25.00, and that's the price where the bidders are just getting warmed up. You got a great deal.
In case you've never used one before, don't be shy about using the BruceB method, and tighten those adjustment screws with a pair of pliers. My 55 will go far out of whack very quickly under finger tension alone.

Ken

GregP42
04-14-2007, 01:25 AM
I have a Lyman 55 that I have found works great with the Lee turret press.
I've been trying off and on for the last two or three months to buy another one on Ebay. Still haven't bought one as I won't bid more than $25.00, and that's the price where the bidders are just getting warmed up. You got a great deal.
In case you've never used one before, don't be shy about using the BruceB method, and tighten those adjustment screws with a pair of pliers. My 55 will go far out of whack very quickly under finger tension alone.

Ken

Ken,

I am glad I am not the only one that won't go over $25 for one, and your right, those guys are nuts what they are paying for some of them.

Greg

50 Caliber
04-16-2007, 02:26 PM
What makes the Lyman 55 such a great powder measure? I have a RCBS that my father had when I was younger and it works fine.

Sundogg1911
04-16-2007, 04:14 PM
my wifes cat knocked my 55 of the bench and broke the handle/arm near the knob. It's still usable, but i'd love to get the piece fixed. I should check with Lyman. I only use it with my rock chucker (My 15 caliber change overs for the Dillons all have their own powder measures....yes I am spoiled :mrgreen: ) but something about that old Lyman that I just really like. .......My Wife really misses that cat [smilie=1:

DLCTEX
04-16-2007, 07:29 PM
I have two I bought on Ebey a few years ago for under $20.00 each, one is almost new condition. Really great measures that I like better than my RCBS measures, one of which I bought on E Bay for $15 as it had a caulk tube for a powder hopper. Need to contact RCBS to test their warrenty. RCBS tends to cut powder more, IMHO. DALE

Navahojoe
04-16-2007, 10:55 PM
I have two of the lyman 55 powder measures that I bought off ebay when I first started reloading and casting a couple of years ago. Measure # 1 was, is, almost perfect. Will hold a powder setting until the cows come home or later. #2 had a problem of the bars slipping while the measure was in use, in other words a different charge with every handle rotation.. (one of the reasons I started weighing all my charges) i emailed Lyman, shipped #2 to them and they installed new bars and calibrated the measure. All told, shipping plus $25 for repairs from Lyman, plus Ebay price, I could've bought a new one. Anyway, long story short, Lyman makes a good powder measure.

regards,
NavahoJoe

:castmine: so I can :Fire:

dubber123
04-17-2007, 05:05 AM
My favorite powder drop. I have five, and never bought a new one (too cheap). I keep them set and labeled for different powders, and it makes set up time much quicker.

KCSO
04-17-2007, 09:15 AM
I have my Father in Law's #55 that he bought new when they first came our. It came with instructions for black or smokless powder. I also have an Ideal Universal which is the grandaddy of the 55. Both work well and measure accuratly, but the Universal is strictly trial and error on getting it set.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-17-2007, 01:57 PM
The guy's dead dad was a reloader/gun nut, and the bucket and lots of other stuff, including an 03A3, was in the guy's leaky garage. I figure his dad rolled over in his grave.. . .

I hope and pray you rescued the lot of it.

Regards,

Dave

mister gizmo
04-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Okay, okay. I guess I now know who wants a 55 (Greg, Monadnock). Mine's been sitting in the shop museum now for a few years. [smilie=1:

I'll sell mine for a delivered price of $25.00. It's clean, precise and works great. Pictures if you need 'em. Think there might be two powder funnels.

PM if interested. Thanks. SPF Thanks, Ken

monadnock#5
04-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the offer mister gizmo. PM on the way.

Ken