PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the old SxS?

msp2640
05-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Gents - I realize I should have pics to show what I have, but I have to go forward with the inquiry anyway...I picked up a F Williams 12 Ga SxS in terrible condition to save it from being destroyed. I searched around and found that it was probably made in the late 1800's in England - damascus barrels and hammers (one missing). Forearm and metal are missing, buttstock is broken off at the wrist and parts of the wood are missing. The metal is about 99% covered in rust and the action is seized shut (top lever). I fully realize, its not even worth/ or safe for a restoration. It's too bad it didn't survive the past 100+ yrs in better shape, because the engraving on the side plates (where visible under the wiped down rust) was once nice. The buttstock had/ has nice checkering and a brass initial plate is inlaid near the toe. Ironically, the buttplate is in great shape and carved like the pistol grip cap, all screw heads are sharp and aligned straight. I guess I'm asking what to do with what's left? I was thinking about just cleaning up what's left and hang it on the wall as a tribute to what once was a nice shotgun (and I have the wallspace). Just wondering if there are other options you may know of, or have seen to display what's left - Thanks for your input - Bill L

375RUGER
05-09-2012, 04:59 PM
display sounds like a good idea. Maybe you can derust it enought to put some cold blue on to dress it up first.
I too thought I would revive an old SxS once. Once I got it taken apart it was just to far gone, everything was wore out. It is just in a box in pieces now. It had no stock and I was out no money on it.

TXBRILL
05-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Restuarants will pay top dollar if you clean it up a tad. They do not care if 1 hammer is missing

gunshot98
05-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Find you some evaporust and soak it. you will be amazed. polish it a little, cold blue it & talk to the restuarant.