PDA

View Full Version : boolit hardness question

colt 357
05-08-2012, 11:04 PM
OK now I read in the post about water drop or not someone said that the boolit setting or store for a peroid of time well get harder. I also just got my Lyman cast handbook and remember reading something in there that said the same thing.
So is that true and how does that work. I just had a leading problem show up in my .357 using the same mold the only thing that changed was they were just cast about 3 days before I shot them.
Then I switch to a heavier 158 gr boolit that was cast about 3 week ago and no leading. So if they do get harder over time how long before they reach there full hardness.
Ok one more question I just got the Lyman's cast handbook a short time ago and I see that they have no powder charge for a 158 gr boolit in .357 mag revolver using Unique. Does anyone load using unique for .357 and what do you use as a starting load and a max load. I use a lot of unique and it would be handy if I could use it in my .357 with the lee 358 158 RF .

runfiverun
05-08-2012, 11:34 PM
air cooled is close to where it's goin after 7-10 days.
waterdropped takes a bit longer i wait at least 14 days and a couple of months would be better.
4 to about 7.5 in the mag.
6 is one of my most used 158gr loads.

williamwaco
05-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Colt.

That assertion is true. But incomplete. They bullets do get harder for a few weeks. BUT then don't stay harder. They will eventually soften up to pretty much the same BNH as when they were cast.

You can see my test results here:

http://reloadingtips.com/pages/exp_bnh-vs-time-1.htm

Some say that they will stay hard forever if they are cast hot enough. I tried another test with bullets cast at 750 degrees with the mold hot enough for the sprue to take 10 seconds to frost over.
( I have no way to measure the actual temperature of that cast but it was MUCH hotter than normal casting.) The results were exactly the same.

11B-101ABN
05-09-2012, 01:36 PM
To get a load for your .357 using Unique Powder, Google Alliant Powder (they make Unique) there is an on line Reloaders guide that will help you .... I just looked it up and there is a recipe for lead semi wad cutter at 158 grains, using Unique. You can even print it. Almost every powder company has some sort of loading guide with THEIR products, you just have to look. Where you at in Iowa?

ku4hx
05-09-2012, 02:17 PM
From the horse's mouth so to speak. This is from Alliant's "2012 Reloader's Guide" they'll send you for free if you ask. There are six loads using Unique including the 158 grain. Generally, a starting load is 90% of max.

The online reference for pistol data is:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeList.aspx?gtypeid=1