PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas to fix gas check problem

wallenba
05-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Broke in a new Lee 7mm mold today. Boolits drop .287, but the gas checks pull off the shanks with little effort. They will never stay on like this. The checks are Hornady, the die is a Lee .285 that sizes a tad big. Any easy fixes short of sending it back in for work?

9.3X62AL
05-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Broke in a new Lee 7mm mold today. Boolits drop .287, but the gas checks pull off the shanks with little effort. They will never stay on like this. The checks are Hornady, the die is a Lee .285 that sizes a tad big. Any easy fixes short of sending it back in for work?

I would open up the gas check shank portion of the mould cavities with mild abrasive on a dowel rod. It won't take much to get those checks to stay on. I use automotive polishing compound on a 3/16" wooden dowel, and just rub in a circular motion around the shank 10-12 times. Clean the cavity, and try casting (have the pot ready). Repeat as needed. A couple of my 30/31 caliber Lee moulds have needed their GC shanks opened up to hold checks after sizing to the larger diameters (.311"+).

Hobby shops are more likely to stock small diameter dowel rod than are hardware retailers.

hiram
05-08-2012, 08:24 PM
The gas check might be hard and have some spring-back to it. Try annealing the gc to soften it and remove the springyness.

wallenba
05-08-2012, 09:18 PM
I would open up the gas check shank portion of the mould cavities with mild abrasive on a dowel rod. It won't take much to get those checks to stay on. I use automotive polishing compound on a 3/16" wooden dowel, and just rub in a circular motion around the shank 10-12 times. Clean the cavity, and try casting (have the pot ready). Repeat as needed. A couple of my 30/31 caliber Lee moulds have needed their GC shanks opened up to hold checks after sizing to the larger diameters (.311"+).

Hobby shops are more likely to stock small diameter dowel rod than are hardware retailers.

Thought of chucking a boolit in a cordless drill with lapping compound, but I think the dowel idea would be better.

wallenba
05-08-2012, 09:20 PM
The gas check might be hard and have some spring-back to it. Try annealing the gc to soften it and remove the springyness.

Hiram, can I get them hot enough in a toaster oven? If so, what temp should I try and how long? I'll try this first just to see.

Bret4207
05-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Just dump them on top of your melt, I know that's hot enough. Skim them off and let them cool and try them.

bobthenailer
05-09-2012, 07:58 AM
A+ on annealing gas checks i do it to all of mine reguardless of caliber or fit

shotman
05-09-2012, 08:21 AM
sell the junk on feebay and get Gators they will stay on that mold

wallenba
05-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Well... my toaster oven goes all the way up to 500*, so I put them in for 30 minutes. After they cooled I tried them. Either it was not enough to anneal them or the shank is just too small. No go.
Strangest thing too, They are advertised as copper in this ad http://www.midwayusa.com/product/296317/hornady-gas-checks-284-caliber-7mm-box-of-1000
but after my annealing they came out looking like brass, and I think they just had a copper looking laquer finish. I did smell something odd while they were cooking.