PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion on BEST Pistol Scope

x101airborne
05-08-2012, 04:47 PM
I need to purchase a new scope for my TC pistol. Problem is.... I know less about pistol scopes than I do the space shuttle. Now, I am a long time Leupy customer and do like their products. But, and here in lies the problem, I dont really want to overpay for a scope that will only be shot to MAYBE 100 yards. So, I am asking the more experienced of yall, what is yalls favorites for 100 yards and under? I have seen some (I think maybe 44 man, but not sure) using red dots, and many others of yall using conventional crosshair scopes. Oh, and keep in mind....... I REALLY use my optics. I hunt maybe 3 or more times a week and do some from a tractor, some on foot through the woods, 4-wheeler, etc. so nothing prone to failure please.

Thanks for sharing
Trey

subsonic
05-08-2012, 04:49 PM
It's hard to beat the Ultra-Dots.

If you have to have magnification, stick to a 2 or maybe a 4x Leup if recoil is low.

Other than that, I can't say for sure. I have heard good things about the higher priced Nikon and Bushnell.

Lonegun1894
05-08-2012, 05:08 PM
I have 2 Simmons 4x "prohunters", one on a .30 Herrett and one on a .44 Mag, both used on the same Contender frame. I have been using both for the last year or slightly longer, and have not had any problems yet. Having said that, I also had several Simmons scopes on rifles in the past, and got what I paid for (little) on those, so either Simmons has improved, or I got lucky. 4x is all I really need out to at least 100yds, but have to be honest with you and tell you that I have missed opportunities due to not being able to find my animal in the scope quickly enough when up close when I first got them, so 4x has been too much at times for my needs too. This is the only scope I have used on pistols so far though, so consider the minimal exposure I have had with this game. I shoot both barrels quite a bit with these scopes, but I am also sure that many of the higher end scopes are probably worth the extra cost, and will find out one day. But for now, the 4x Simmons does what I need.

captbligh
05-08-2012, 05:40 PM
I use the Leupold 2X handgun scopes on my Contender .30/30 and .44 Mag. Like them alot. Also have used a red dot on a .22 semiauto pistol, but it's sitting in my gun safe at the moment as I prefer the iron sights. Had it on a FN/FAL but ended up putting a 1 - 4X scope on that one. A reddot's really fast for quick acquisition, but I like the bit of magnification from the 2X scopes.

gray wolf
05-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Ultra dot target
It has many, many, many excellent reviews on the midway site.
$$$ but folks say they are a great scope.

white eagle
05-08-2012, 06:42 PM
I personally do not like optics of any kind
on most handguns however there are some exceptions
I am a firm believer in buying quality optics not bargain basement junk
so stick with the Leupold 100 yds or not your optics do you no good if
you can't see out of them or they come apart after you use them or will not
hold zero from one time to the next

snowwolfe
05-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Ultra dot target
It has many, many, many excellent reviews on the midway site.
$$$ but folks say they are a great scope.

What is the Ultra Dot Target model? Not familar with it.

Doc Highwall
05-08-2012, 07:52 PM
For a scope I like the Burris. I have at least five of them, 2-7xPA and 3-12xPA with target knobs.

geargnasher
05-08-2012, 08:31 PM
I had the same question a couple of years ago, and the same lack of experience/knowledge with or about pistol scopes. So I quizzed 44Man about it and his advice, after having tried everything, was to buy an Ultradot sight.

The reasons are several. Ultradot makes the toughest of the Red Dots, the only thing that would hold up to his hand-cannons. Another reason that I hadn't considered is that on a pistol, any sort of magnification is difficult for the brain to process. I can shoot a scoped rifle with both eyes open and be fine, but at arms-length it gets screwy, and forget rapid target aquisition with a magifying pistol scope. So I spent $200 on an Ultradot with a 4MOA dot and never looked back. He was dead right on all points.

If you want to do target work with it, simply draw a bold, black, 5" circle on plain typing paper, or on a paper plate, and center the dot in that. Good for 1/2 MOA groups once you get used to it. You're already in the habit of remembering to turn off powered optics, so draining the batteries is less of a problem for you than for some.

Gear

marshall623
05-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Last summer I bought a Bushnell 2X6 3200 its been a good scope I put it on a 223 tender. I have 4X Swifts on my 30 Herrett and 7-30 Waters no complants with either of those.

x101airborne
05-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Gear....
My problem is getting my dumb posterior to remember to turn them ON! LOL.
Nah, The battery in my other red dots has lasted several years even with occasionally forgetting to turn them off.
I do appreciate the speed of a red dot on a rifle like an AR or something similar. Even used one on a Winny 100 for a while. But I have absolutely no experience with them on a pistol. And other than my couple of Trijicons, I really dont know what is good and not so good for under, say, 300.00. And I do love the higher end scopes for their clarity and such, but I am not really looking to spend that much this time. And once again.... Im a needin sum skoolin.

smkummer
05-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Didn't TC have its own make of scopes a few years ago? That is what I would try but I agree with the Leop. 2X crowd. That what was supplied on my Python Hunter and its excellent. Sometimes one can luck out on ebay for this scope. Cheap scopes end up usually being a waist of time, ammo, money and a otherwise good day.

subsonic
05-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Get an Ultra-Dot 30 and be happy. If you worry about batteries and just need magnification, get a 2x.

If you are playing with something like a varmint cartridge that doesn't recoil (.22 Hornet through .223 or so) you might like a variable 2.5-8x or even a fixed 4x.

If you want to buy once and cry once with a magnified scope, get a Leupold.

It's the weight of the scopes that really does them in. The red dot sights are light so they don't tend to creep in the rings (will drive you nuts!) and don't have any heavy parts inside to get slung around to change the zero on you.

Get good rings - Leupold PRW or Warne are both good. There are others, but you might be let down. I know these both work.

canyon-ghost
05-08-2012, 11:22 PM
I use optics a little. If you go to Burris, the 3-12X is way too much, 2-7X is a better match. I like the looks of Weaver pistol scopes too, and a lot of people use them. Weaver's claim is a moderate price.

I use rifle scopes on my TC Contenders but, you have to get used to the hold and have a caliber that is light on recoil for that.

I love my Leupolds, I like most of the Weavers I have ever seen or used. And I have shot a Simmons Expedition 2-8x once. I believe it was Expedition, had the granite finish. It held up to a 357 magnum in Contender so, it wasn't all bad.

Nikon, Leupold, Weaver.

Iron Mike Golf
05-09-2012, 01:26 AM
You don't say what caliber. If it's a hard recoiling one, stay away from the zoom scopes. The tube has a slot milled in it for the cam to engage the zoom ring. It can crack at both ends from heavy recoil.

I'm using a Nikon on my Redhawk and am very happy. I also have a Swift that held up fine. Both 2x.

**oneshot**
05-09-2012, 07:49 AM
I have several, Nikon, simmons, Leupold, and weaver. All have there place and so far I'm happy.

dale2242
05-09-2012, 08:06 AM
I like the Leupolds. Can`t beat their warranty....dale

x101airborne
05-09-2012, 08:34 AM
This will be used on several different calibers, I am sure. For now I am looking at using it on a 7-30 waters and a 44 mag.

44man
05-09-2012, 08:45 AM
I tried hunting with scopes from 2 to 4X, forget it! I see nothing through them in the mornings and evenings, even a Tasco with a dot and thick cross hairs has them go away unless there is enough light. No way to see a deer either.
Watch scope weight with recoil, stay as light as you can get.
I ate a Swift 2X on the .475 before getting it sighted. I destroyed a Burris on the .44. My old, old Loopy is still going strong. Cheap red dots self destruct.
Now the worst problem---off hand! I hold very steady but a gremlin shakes the target about 15 feet each way. :lol: Scopes just need a rest for me.
The Ultra Dot cured all of the junk. A scope for target from a rest works better at long range but I have been able to hit bottles and cans at 200 with the Ultra Dot. Picking the right target is what counts and I like 3 dimensional things. Once I get to 100 yards, I hate paper targets.
Some variables are too heavy and the ones I tried made the picture very small as I turned the power up and they get very dark. One at 7X left a half inch dark hole to try and find the target through.
Some heads up displays have funky mounts that can break. The glass is too exposed to rain and snow.
Some red dots, even the good ones that have different pictures you can switch, have changed POI from one to the other.
The very best scope for a handgun just might be a 1X. I don't think anyone makes one today.

Shuz
05-09-2012, 08:55 AM
I have a Leupold EER 4X on a Smith 629 Classic DX 5 incher and I love it for target work. It has been on this gun for about 10 or 11 years and has seen thousands of rounds and has never moved in the Leupold rings. I also have a Leupold EER 4X on a TC in 7mmTCU and have taken several deer with it. It has also seen hundreds of rounds and never moved. I do find that in a hunting situation, target acquisition can be a problem, and often wonder if a 2X scope would have been a better choice. I tried red dot type sites a while back and found I couldn't pick up the dot on bright days. For hunting and quick target acquisition, I prefer a fiber optic front sight like an SDM or Hi-Viz.

bobthenailer
05-09-2012, 09:02 AM
IMO a 2x pistol scope with a dot retical conversion is about = to a red dot sight for off hand shooting . I dont like duplex crosshairs on pistol scopes. if you plan on shooting from a solid rest only ? a variable power would possibly be better but in most scopes brands the field of view is smaller and the cross hairs really wobbel if not rested solidly causing you to worry about where the cross hairs are and trying to pick off the shot instead of perfect trigger control..
Ive have been useing pistol scopes & red dot sights for over 25 years and have them on most of my handguns , if i was going to pick just one it would be a red dot sight you would be amazed what you can do with them! i can actually shoot a red dot sighted hand gun more accuratly off hand than one with a pistol scope with duplex crosshairs.
If you decide on a scope ? try to find one of the old 30mm Tasco Pro Class pistol scopes , they have a tapered crosshair with a center dot , they were avalible in 1x 2x 3x 4x & 6x i have 1 in 1x and 2 in 2x that work pretty well for me for off hand shooting and there a pretty good scope too and at bargian prices, a local shop was selling NOS for $ 35.00 each, but all thats left is a 2x & 6x fixed with a silver finish. when they were avalible many years ago they were around $125.00 new
As far as red dot sights i have them from $35 to $550 dollars depends on application , as to which one i use
Most of my pistol scopes are the Tasco pro class or are Leupolds with a dot reticul conversion.

19112TAP
05-09-2012, 09:57 AM
I have a Burris 2X on a Ruger Bisley Hunter and it has worked fine for me, but that being said I think a dot would work better than the duplex I have now. I don't normally like scopes on my revolvers but for hunting it works good for me allowing a clear picture along with a more defined sight picture.

Doc Highwall
05-09-2012, 05:15 PM
I have Burris 2-7xPA on my Contender in 375Win and a Encore in 7mmBR for hunting. I have the Burris 3-12xPA on Encores in 6mmBR, 6.5mmBR, and 7mmBR for target shooting out to 300 yards.

TCTex
05-09-2012, 05:28 PM
I have 16 handgun scopes on various handguns...

IMHO, "I" like the Bushnell 2-6. I just like the magnification of a variable scope. The weight of the Bushnell is lighter then most of its counterparts.

I just don't like fixed power scopes... ... ... but that is just me and we all have different preferences.

Duane

x101airborne
05-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Duane.... That is exactly why I asked for opinions. Everyone is different and I am VERY new to the pistol scope market.

44man
05-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Duane.... That is exactly why I asked for opinions. Everyone is different and I am VERY new to the pistol scope market.
Only one thing has been important to me. That is scope weight to recoil. Amazing how much inertia a scope has. It is going to want to stay in place while the gun comes back.
I have been shooting handgun scopes since they first came out, must be in the 50's with the first Bushnell Phantom. The thing was real good. Then the Loopy M8-2X and the TC Puma. I remember Al Goerg using rifle scopes on cap and ball revolvers. He used Litschert adapters for a longer eye relief.
If you think any would stand the recoil today, you make good jokes! [smilie=l:
I might have made more scrap then anyone and even a lot of new stuff can not take recoil. To shake a tube full of glass will make you cuss or to have soft tubes get turned to crimped snakes as they slide through tight rings will make you into a nut. Some scopes have very hard tubes, others are pure aluminum.
Even light can be bad. Have the base bolt on a heads up shear after paying big bucks for it.
Some stuff will never break. The Ultra Dot straight 1" or 30mm, the Leopold, the Tasco, some Weavers and some others.
The bottom line is RECOIL! If your scope is holding up with a .223, don't tell a guy it is good for a .500.

x101airborne
05-10-2012, 01:45 PM
44Man.
Well, after seeing your avatar again along with those :kidding: BARELY acceptable groups you post, I think I will have to go with the ultradot. My 7 TCU 10 inch, I am not so worried about, but the 7-30 waters and the 308 I think could be a bit on the rough side. And if you trust em, good nuff for me. I need the challenge of some new equipment anyway.

Still want to hear all the opinions out there. All advice is appreciated.

44man
05-10-2012, 02:36 PM
I watched scopes, etc turn to scrap so I call MR and they said they use the Ultra Dots. That is where I stopped having so many problems.
I had one where the switch screws came loose but it was fixed and returned fast. Lifetime warranty!
I have ruined Busnell, Tasco and Millet red dots. Some hold up but I will not take a chance. I even called companies to ask about theirs on certain guns and they said NO in so many words.
Most have good warranties but to send something back every 50 rounds does not make sense.
Now, on SS, postage alone hurts.
I get nothing for saying what has worked for me or what gun is best, not a single dime. I have no stake in the game and if anything is not right, I will tell you.
I am not against those companies but you must base your choice on what you shoot. All work fine with lower recoil.
I try to convey how much strain a handgun puts on optics.
Even the great base that comes with the BFR can flex to bang the barrel so just what is the scope doing?

Whiterabbit
05-11-2012, 04:31 PM
I wanted fast target aq and to shoot with both eyes, so that led me to ultradot. I could have gotten there with a 1x scope, but for the weight, may as well have bought peep sights or something with a ring and crosshairs.

my backup plan was a 2x leupold, I saw the 4x in a shop and it was WAY too much magnification for me. Way.

The only thing I wish my ultradot had was a 30moa ring around the dot. Sometimes that darn dot is just hard to find!