PDA

View Full Version : brightness!!

bigted
05-08-2012, 03:11 PM
well i pulled a very bright thing last nite. decided to do some initial seating for length with my 38-55. so taking a primed sized case i started the boolit into the case and seating it a bit at a time till it allows the cartridge to fully seat in the chamber with just a bit of engraving on the first band.

upon getting this coal,,,i then wondered what the rifling would do to the boolit engraving wise so i "loaded" another cartridge with nothing but the primer ,,,case,,,and boolit. allowing that the primer should at least push the boolit some ways into the barrel... i chambered the round and holding the muzzle over and pointing at a pile of pillows i squeezed the trigger.

SNAP went the hammer and nothing else. so i extracted the cartridge and examined the primer and boolit...nothing but a dimple on the primer...so i loaded another and the same thing happened...nothin!! after 3 more such loadings and failures i put a primed case in the chamber and it went off in fine shape without the boolit installed....loading another with a boolit... it was a dud as well.

after pulling what hair i have i decided to pull a boolit on a failed case....upon pulling the boolit i see that the base of the boolit was black with soot. pulling the rest of the failures i found the same.......long storie short i realized that the primer alone...[cci 200 large rifle]... was enemic in power and would not even budge the boolit out of the case let alone up the barrel.

so...LOL...next ill put a few grains unique down on the primer and try again.

so there is my latest brightness and on thinking about it i decided to share this sordid storie and find out if im alone in my stupids or if others would share theirs as it will make a fun read for a change instead of the springtime jitters that make their way here....[smilie=1:...:wink:...8-)...:drinks:

Mooseman
05-08-2012, 03:19 PM
I think you have some bad primers. There should have been enough explosive force to force the bullet out , even with a crimp at the case mouth, the Large primer is pretty powerful...

montana_charlie
05-08-2012, 05:13 PM
I fired a 540 grain patched-to-groove bullet with 1.5 grains of Red Dot and a magnum primer in a 45/90 case.
It only went halfway up the bore.

But, stay out of the way when you open the breech. If you have a good seal in the bore, that case will come out like a scalded dawg.

CM

Chill Wills
05-08-2012, 07:27 PM
I think you have some bad primers. There should have been enough explosive force to force the bullet out , even with a crimp at the case mouth, the Large primer is pretty powerful...
Nope. Ted is right. With these large BPCR rounds, that is all you get with a primer. Ask me how I know.
A few grains of black will do it. Even fewer grains of fast shotgun powder will too.

303Guy
05-08-2012, 10:59 PM
But, stay out of the way when you open the breech. If you have a good seal in the bore, that case will come out like a scalded dawg.I won't go into what happened to me .... Well, OK then, the 'ejecting' case head actually broke the magazine retaining piece. I'm still looking for the case head.