PDA

View Full Version : Lee Safety Prime driving me crazy on Lee Turret press

Twmaster
05-07-2012, 10:36 PM
A few months ago I bought a Lee safety prime for use on my single stage press. Mostly it worked fine.

This week I finally got all the bits to put a Lee Classic Cast 4 hole turret press on my bench. It came with a bracket for the safety prime unit.

I'm having a devil of a time getting the safety prime to work reliably on the turret press. It often sticks to the priming arm and also either fails to deposit a primer or it pulls the primer out of the arm when you pull it away by hand. (cuz it's sticks ya know!)

Now it's possible I have the thing installed incorrectly. Lee's instructions basically suck.

Basically the manual says install and adjust the bracket.... Gee that's helpful.

To install it goes under one of the bolts holding the top of the turret together. The bolt has a spacer and an odd shaped washer under it. From the one small photo in the manual it looks like the odd shaped washer sits on top of the bracket.

Can some somebody confirm the position of the odd shaped washer? Over or under the plastic bracket?

If it was not for this aggravation with this primer gadget I'd be making ammo like a madman!

Thanks in advance.

:D

wallenba
05-07-2012, 10:47 PM
When I used that press, I took to priming my cases with a bench mounted primer before hand. I removed the decapping pin from the sizing die. Later it evolved to powder charging off press too.
Then I'd just take the primed/charged case and, size, M die expand, seat, then crimp. It worked well, fewer goofs, and in the final analysis almost as fast.
I never got that press mounted primer to work 100%. Try to find some pics on the Lee website, or check out their videos to see how it's mounted.

thenaaks
05-07-2012, 10:53 PM
http://www.reviewsofthings.com/images/lee_classic_turret_press_1.jpg

hopefully this helps. mine works great 98% of the time.

dpicts
05-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Mine has works flawlessly... Saying that the arm is getting stuck in the Safety Prime make it sound like you are using the small primer arm with large primer Safety prime (or visa versa)... Are you sure you are using small with small and large with large?

Twmaster
05-07-2012, 11:26 PM
thenaaks, the very odd shape washer... is it under the plastic bracket? It looks like you put a regular flat washer under the bolt and on top the bracket.

dpicts, Yes, I am using the right sized parts.

Thanks.

44Vaquero
05-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Twmaster:
The washer goes on top of the bracket. It is ok if the units sticks to the priming arm, it will swing free when the ram begins it's downward travel.

Twmaster
05-08-2012, 02:03 AM
Thanks 44.

Doesn't matter right now. The gadget that indexes the turret is now broken. That washer got bound up against the turret plate.

I am not thrilled with this press and may send it back.

UNIQUEDOT
05-08-2012, 08:00 AM
I used the safety prime on my older original 4 hole press and never had a single problem with it, but i sold it with that press when i bought the classic and have not put the unit on the classic turret.

As i recall though the washer indeed goes on top and the spacer is removed completely. Your press came with a spare square ratchet as it is common for new users to short stroke the press and damage them or turn the die turret by hand with the ram in the wrong position which also damages them.

The problem with the free part is that they don't tell you what the part is for and most people throw them away. The square ratchets will also wear out after several thousand rounds and will have to be replaced. Although i have spares i am using mine as a traditional turret press by turning it by hand as i mostly only use it for rifle cartridges.

44Vaquero
05-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Twmaster; Do not lose faith just yet, that part is "sacrificial" by design. I keep several on-hand at all times. Short stroking the press is what most often breaks them.
Turret presses can also be operated by hand, depending on my mood I run mine either way.

These links may be of help to you:

http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=09c9c850035307827675d90214ddfe51

http://leeprecision.com/turret-press-help-videos.html

1bluehorse
05-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Right, wrong or indifferent, the way I have mine set up on my LCT is with both the funny looking metal washer (thats the one that came on the press) and the black washer that came with the primer feeder kit (it's about 1/4 in thick) UNDER the bracket. There should be a "little' clearance between the feeder and the primer cup. When you push the primer feeder forward it will engage the primer arm and the primer will feed into the cup. Mine works 99.9%. Can't remember the last time I had a failure to feed a primer. It's all about adjustment. You're also correct about the Lee instructions being next to worthless.

The part about the little bit of clearance, with the ram raised all the way up the primer feeder should swing back and forth freely to the primer cup. Adjust with other washers if necessary.

Recluse
05-08-2012, 02:57 PM
I am not thrilled with this press and may send it back.

Know the feeling. I'm getting more disgusted with Lee and their non-existent quality non-control junk more and more frequently--to the point that I've all but given up on them and their classic turret is the last thing I've bought from them, and have to fiddle and screw around with it FAR more than I should have.

I'm giving mine one more chance then it goes in Lake Ray Roberts with an old Pro1000 and a few other things. They can use the additional structure on the bottom for the fish.

That Safety Prime is about the jickiest thing I've ever seen.

:coffee:

geargnasher
05-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Strictly speaking of the fine examples of Classic and regular turrets and Safety-Prime systems I have never had a single problem other than a quick index tweak needed on one after changing a worn-out index ratchet with a new one. I prolly have near 10k rounds on my two-year-old Classic Turret and only recently wore out the first ratchet on it. I bought half a dozen spares for the three and four-hole turrets thinking they'd keep wearing out and breaking, but I lube the turret head and index rod EVERY time I reload with a couple of drops of BreakFree CLP (FINALLY found a use for the bottle someone gave me years ago, I won't use it on my guns) and that keeps the torque load on the ratchet way down. One drop of oil on each side of the upper press frame at the leading edge of the suppor lugs makes it smooth as silk.

The only time I have trouble with the safety-prime is when I "short-shuck" or otherwise flub the motion required to dispense a primer into the cup. The odd-shaped washer goes on top of the bracket, but make certain you have the right bracket installed on the press. The Classic turrets with the three-boss upper frame take one shape, and the others with the four-boss (one unused) head that's trapezoidal in shape take the different safety-prime mount.

Like 44Vaquero said earlier, all you have to do is dispense the primer, if the arm sticks, just lowering the ram a touch disengages it, and I haven't ever had it drag a primer out of the cup when doing that.

One more thing, if the the safety-prime was only good for this it would be worth the cost of admission IMO: The little bumps in the tray as opposed to the concentric rings normally used for flipping primers is the best design I've ever seen for righting primers. Two shakes and they're all flipped. Works for gas checks, too, pour 'em in, shake, cover with cardboard, invert, cover with another piece of cardboard, invert again, and slide them off on the bench next to the sizer, or just pick them right out of the primer tray.

If you think it's no good, I'm not going to try to convince you othewise because you might have a genuine lemon, but it might be the loose nut holding the handle that isn't used to the "technique" of operation, too. There's a learning curve to this stuff, and I'll be the first to agree that the illiterates at Lee that attempt to do the technical writing involved with creating instructions probably have trouble signing a Christmas card, much less describing a complicated operation or adjustment.

Gear

Twmaster
05-08-2012, 08:00 PM
So far Lee products have been very good to me. The safety prime when mounted on my Challenger press is fantastic.

While yea, I can see how a newbie can goof things up in a hurry the lack of good instructions is what I mostly blame for the current fiasco.

Last night I finished loading 200 rounds of 9MM by manually spinning the turret and priming on the press by hand setting the primers into the primer arm.

I'm sure once I get the kinks worked out I'll have a working setup. For now I'll keep the thing.

Recluse
05-08-2012, 09:41 PM
One more thing, if the the safety-prime was only good for this it would be worth the cost of admission IMO: The little bumps in the tray as opposed to the concentric rings normally used for flipping primers is the best design I've ever seen for righting primers. Two shakes and they're all flipped.

Gear

I'll agree with THAT--much better design and a hundred times easier and more effective than the rings.

I pulled out my small primer tray and tube/ramp last night for the first time ever to use. Literally had to pry the clear plastic cover off. Why? The finish on the outer side of the black base was not just rough, but had a few small spurs on it that really made getting the clear cover off a chore.

Again, non-existent quality control at the factory. Had to take emery cloth and "sand" the rough spots and spurs out, then "wet sand" with some silicone soaked extremely fine grit paper just to get the clear cover to go on and off without having to pry it off.

The large primer set-up worked flawlessly right out of the box. Zero problems then, zero problems now.

Inconsistent QC at the factory. No excuse for it. None.

So far Lee products have been very good to me.

While yea, I can see how a newbie can goof things up in a hurry the lack of good instructions is what I mostly blame for the current fiasco.

I'm sure once I get the kinks worked out I'll have a working setup. For now I'll keep the thing.

I bought my first Lee press back in 1987, then another one a year later. Lots of Lee dies (which I like and have no problems with), some FCDs for rifle calibers, my treasured powder measure (which continues to outperform every other measure I have or ever had), push-through sizing dies (which I love), etc.

There is no excuse for Lee's lack of instructions in the box other than Richard Lee's legendary intellectual ego and arrogance (read his reloading manual for endless examples). Troubleshooting videos from Lee are counter-productive because if you KNOW you have problems, then you either correct the problems at the factory, or you write instructions that are more clear in order to AVOID mistakes.

I still stand by my assertion that Lee is the most innovative of all the reloading companies, but in the past year or two, it seems they are also the sloppiest and least "give-a-damn" when it comes to their quality control.

dragon813gt
05-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Mine is finicky as well. If the arm is sticking it's not aligned with the cup right. I know there is a lot of play to begin with so it shouldn't matter. But it does. I spent way to much time getting the bracket lined up. It's also easier, for me, if I back the ram off slightly from full stroke and then set the primer in the cup. Otherwise it tends to drop them all over. This is a known issue and it comes up in quite a few YouTube videos. It really annoys me because I should be able to set the primer when the ram is fully up. It took me some time to get the rhythm down but now I can turn out ammo quickly with no problems.

I will say that their lack of instructions is horrible. I don't think anyone that isn't mechanically inclined would be reloading. But they need to provide full instructions with all of their equipment. I didn't realize the odd shaped washer was supposed to go on top until watching a video on setting the press up. The video was not from Lee.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Twmaster
05-08-2012, 10:41 PM
I solved my priming problem. I went to Cabela's and bought an RCBS hand priming tool.

I decap my cases before I clean them so I'll just pull the decapping pin out of the dies when using this press.

Twmaster
05-09-2012, 01:59 AM
And sure enough. That little black ratchet thingie (technical terms!) was broken. Swapped in the spare and I am now indexing.

I primed 200 cases with the new RCSB hand primer and I'm shocked at how fast that went. 19 minutes to prime all 200 cases!

We'll see how this goes now that I do not have to dick around with the on press priming.

EDIT: Just finished loading 200 rounds. Just under an hour. I think I'll keep this press.

1bluehorse
05-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Please don't tell me you're having trouble lining up the primer feeder with the primer arm...(loosen the bracket, raise the ram, swing the primer feeder onto the primer arm, tighten bracket) if the primer feeder is catching on the primer arm when you feed a primer, you need to raise the bracket by putting a washer UNDER it....if it's still to low use a thicker washer... if it's to HIGH, just do the reverse... look at my avatar, if I can do it anyone can..I've been using this silly looking apparatus for a few years now and have zero primer feed issues.

hiram
05-09-2012, 01:20 PM
From what I remember, there was a fix in the early days. It had to do with elongating the bolt hole so you had more movement(adjustment) for the priming unit. I also remember you had to line the unit up by eye with another part on the press.

geargnasher
05-09-2012, 02:37 PM
TWMaster, if your Safety Prime needs a new home now, along with the primer arms that came with the press, send me a PM.

Gear

Jailer
05-09-2012, 10:03 PM
The part about the little bit of clearance, with the ram raised all the way up the primer feeder should swing back and forth freely to the primer cup. Adjust with other washers if necessary.

I added a washer between the the bracket and spacer to raise my safety prime just a bit so it wouldn't hang up and drop primers. Works flawlessly now.

Colorado4wheel
05-10-2012, 02:39 PM
I added a washer between the the bracket and spacer to raise my safety prime just a bit so it wouldn't hang up and drop primers. Works flawlessly now.

That is the answer.

1) Make sure your adjustment of the safety prime is not interfering with the turret movement (breaking pawl).
2) Align the safety prime inserter with the cup/priming lever.
3) Push firmly, feeling it go into cup.

If that doesn't work add a washer under the entire unit to raise it up a little.

edsmith
05-11-2012, 09:33 PM
I have one of those lee saftey primes, would not give you a nickle for a truck load of them, I now have a rcbs aps, and a lee auto prime II.[smilie=w:

44Vaquero
05-11-2012, 09:49 PM
@Edsmith, I also have a Lee Auto Prime II, It works equal to or better than any other priming system I have seen/tried. I do not understand why Lee discontinued them.
As for the Safety Prime it works once you get the hang of it, but so did the T-Bar style priming arm that proceeded it. Other than not having to handle the primers it's I am neutral about it.

edsmith
05-11-2012, 10:38 PM
I like the way you can feel the primer seat with the auto prime II. I don't like priming with the primer arm on a press.:bigsmyl2:

44Vaquero
05-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Agreed, the feeling is much better at the top of the rams travel vs the bottom. I actually have the auto prime II set up all the time on a Lee Reloader C-Press.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-12-2012, 07:39 AM
I've read through this thread and for those that aren't getting good results with the Lee Safety Prime, you're not adjusting it right. For those who aren't getting good results with the auto advance on the Lee Classic turret press, you're not adjusting it right. I realize Lee's documentation isn't the best, but the information on how to properly adjust these things is out there on the internet and all you have to do is google it and follow the directions/watch the videos, whichever you want to do. Don't run down the product if you haven't taken the time/effort to learn how to adjust it right and get it properly adjusted. That's like taking a newly purchased firearm out of the box and shooting it without bothering to clean the storage grease out of it. You might get lucky or you might damage the gun.

I've posted on this forum several times about how to adjust these things, so you can search through my postings or simply google. But don't complain and run down something it's your fault it isn't working right.

Colorado4wheel
05-12-2012, 09:27 AM
It's a pretty basically system. Not a lot to go wrong. But it has to be set up right.

44Vaquero
05-12-2012, 11:14 AM
We need a "like button" I think Dave hit the nail on the head!

Floydster
05-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Dave said it best, if you don't know what you are doing, don't blame the equipment---use your head, some people could screw up a steel anvil.

edsmith
05-13-2012, 12:47 AM
for those that the safety prime works good,thats great, but I will complain and gripe about it, it should not take an einstine to figgure it out. I have 6 priming systems,the primer arm that came with my presses, a lee ram prime, a lee auto prime II, a rcbs aps press mounted, a rcbs bench auto prime( can no longer use it, my old arm won't take it)and the lee safety prime,or did have,sold it yesterday.of all of them, I like the lee auto prime II best, MOST OF MY RELOADING GEAR IS LEE, they sure missed the boat with the safety prime.when some one has a complaint about something I want to hear it, it could keep me from making a mistake.

Twmaster
05-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Dave said it best, if you don't know what you are doing, don't blame the equipment---use your head, some people could screw up a steel anvil.

I never blamed the equipment. I blamed the awful instructions.

FLDad
05-13-2012, 02:35 AM
The instructions could stand improvement. That said, I have to admit that the initial problems I had with the Safety Prime were my fault. Once I slowed down and took five minutes to look up better information, I was able to get it adjusted correctly. Since then it has been flawless on my Classic Turret. Not one failure in many thousands of rounds.

gefiltephish
05-13-2012, 09:26 AM
The safety prime on my LCT has worked perfectly right out of the box. I have both the spacer and funny shaped washer under the bracket. Well, I did have to grind the washer a bit to provide clearance for the die lock nuts. There is so much slop in this thing I find it hard to believe that adjustments need to be that critical. Height perhaps. All I did was eyeball the thing up to the primer arm. As far as my press/primer is concerned, ballpark is close enough.

For those of us fortunate enough to not have any problems with this, it can be hard to imagine just what the problem could be - it's such a simple device. That said, I started out with a loadmaster so I know just how frustrating Lee stuff can be at times.

I wonder if some of the problems might have to do with flashing on the internals of the moving part(s)?

MtGun44
05-14-2012, 09:20 PM
My large size Safety Prime works OK, the small one spits about 1/3 of the primers on the
floor. Lots of fun. It also lets them turn sideways and upside down easily.

Bill

geargnasher
05-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Funny how of all the times I've asked to buy the malfunctioning Lee tools people are cussing, not one single time has anyone ever taken me up on it. All of the Lee press priming equipment needs a little final QC occasionally to remove casting burrs or maybe a re-adjustment once in a while, but it all works fine once you wipe your butt with the instructions and figure it out for yourself. Actually, the slick paper the instructions is printed on doesn't even work well for that.

Gear

GT1
05-15-2012, 12:36 AM
This priming system works, plain and simple.
If it isn't working, you are not paying attention to the simplest things, while reloading. :shock:

Twmaster
05-15-2012, 01:14 AM
Funny how of all the times I've asked to buy the malfunctioning Lee tools people are cussing, not one single time has anyone ever taken me up on it. All of the Lee press priming equipment needs a little final QC occasionally to remove casting burrs or maybe a re-adjustment once in a while, but it all works fine once you wipe your butt with the instructions and figure it out for yourself. Actually, the slick paper the instructions is printed on doesn't even work well for that.

As the thing still works well on my single stage press I see no reason to sell it.

This priming system works, plain and simple.
If it isn't working, you are not paying attention to the simplest things, while reloading.

That's real easy for you to say. Further, this has no bearing on the 'simplest things, while reloading' and I take offense at your remarks.

geargnasher
05-15-2012, 06:41 PM
If it works on your single stage, like you mentioned in your first post, but you're having issues with it on your turret press, that would indicate a setup or adjustment issue. You might have to add a shim under the bracket to make it work like you like, tolerance stacking on your particular specimens may have pushed things to the point of binding. Seems like a simple solution to me based on the information you gave.

Gear

dragon813gt
05-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Why should he, and myself, have to add a spacer to get it to work properly. It should work with what it came with in the box. That isn't asking much and is what's expected of everything you buy. I have no problem tweaking things to get them to work. But it seems like a lot of Lee products require this tweaking. I am not bashing them as I own a lot of their equipment. IMO some very minor changes and better quality control would help immensely. I'm sure we'd all pay an extra $5 for a Lee mold that we don't have to buff the burrs out of or make other minor adjustments. If they had better quality control they would have a better name

Colorado4wheel
05-15-2012, 10:27 PM
What other press has it's price and it's production ability. Adding a little washer is hardly worth worrying about.

dragon813gt
05-16-2012, 06:11 AM
Actually it is. It's an incomplete product. It's things like that give the company a bad name. Funny that when I buy tools for my trade they come with everything needed. Some of them are more money then the press kit. But most of them are less money. It's poor quality control on their end and it can easily be addressed. You can not tell me that I should have to modify anything out of the box to get it to work.

Colorado4wheel
05-16-2012, 11:10 AM
I have adjusted every press I have bought. That includes

Load Master
Lee Classic Turret
LnL

None are perfect from the factory.

Most LCT's are fine from the factor. Some need a washer. It's not worth tearing your hair out over and making a big deal about.

1bluehorse
05-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Actually it is. It's an incomplete product. It's things like that give the company a bad name. Funny that when I buy tools for my trade they come with everything needed. Some of them are more money then the press kit. But most of them are less money. It's poor quality control on their end and it can easily be addressed. You can not tell me that I should have to modify anything out of the box to get it to work.

Not sure what you mean by incomplete product. Mine came with the "spacer" included. After setting it up the way I read the instructions (spacer on top of the bracket) I didn't like the way it was working (it did work but not very well in my opinion) so I just moved the "spacer" under the bracket and it worked/works great. I realize that takes a lot of thought and work (Einsteinish) but don't really see it as a quality control problem with the product as much as a instructional snafu.

Brought to you by Logitech wireless keyboard.

geargnasher
05-18-2012, 11:49 PM

It's only as big a deal as you choose to make of it. One could also complain that a new Winchester Model 70 doesn't come from the factory with the bolt lugs lapped, the trigger/sear polished, or with a real epoxy bedding job already done. Will it shoot? Yeah. Is it a waste of time to shoot until it's worked over? Pretty much. It's par for the course.

Gear

soldierbilly1
05-21-2012, 11:57 AM
OK, since we are on the subject, why do we get the round column to replace the original? different length? what's up with that?
I love Lee, but why did I have to buy a spacer to clear the auto disk? It shouldda been included in the price.
Hey, my safety primer on my Lee turret works well. It's a good value, a little tweaking is part of the game.
Be happy. Don't worry.

BTW, don't vote for Jug Ears again.

bill boy

trixter
05-21-2012, 12:18 PM
I got my Lee 4 Hole Turret Press Saturday, mounted it on the bench, put the dies on, (I didn't use the riser), already had the Rifle riser on it and it clears the Safety prime just fine. After a little tiny tweak I was pumping out 223 loaded cartridges just to my liking. I am using the double disk setup, except I used the Lee adjustable powder disk as one of the two. That sure took a lot of guesswork out of the equation. I just ordered another one for my Load Master, for loading .45ACP. I am one happy camper. The Safety prime unit took a little getting used to (sure glad you can back up the turret and put the primer in LOL)

eniku40
06-04-2012, 05:22 AM

Gear.

What you offering on the safety primes and the *** scale? Like new in box. (where they will remain until sold/traded/parted out)

I love Lee stuff, but these two items are in dire need for improvement. I'm now priming off-press with a 100% primer seating rate. Then, I load at 250-300 rounds per hour on the turret.

So I'm not knocking Lee products, just these two items.

Let me know if anyone's interested in buying these off me? Otherwise, the safety prime flipping trays are destined for an rcbs primer tube filler DIY contraption.

geargnasher
06-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Pm offer. You can keep the *** scale.

Gear

Bzcraig
04-19-2013, 10:28 PM
[smilie=s:
Know the feeling. I'm getting more disgusted with Lee and their non-existent quality non-control junk more and more frequently--to the point that I've all but given up on them and their classic turret is the last thing I've bought from them, and have to fiddle and screw around with it FAR more than I should have.

I'm giving mine one more chance then it goes in Lake Ray Roberts with an old Pro1000 and a few other things. They can use the additional structure on the bottom for the fish.

That Safety Prime is about the jickiest thing I've ever seen.

I will gladly pay the shipping to get what you don't want before it goes in the drink.[smilie=s:[smilie=s: Seriously!

Bzcraig
04-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Visit San Francisco Liberal with a Gun on YouTube, he has some good videos on Lee Equipment setup. I spent 3-4 hours getting mine setup and working well and am pleased. I will admit the written instructions were not much better than the picture instructions that come with some of the products acquired from foreign shores.

Twmaster
04-19-2013, 11:02 PM
I never could get that thing to work well on my turret press. Now I just hand prime with my RCBS Delux priming tool and don't bother with the safety prime.

Although I do use the safety prime on my single stage press now and then. It works great on that press.

gunoil
04-20-2013, 03:20 PM
take your left index finger and left thumb and push in and rotate down lightly. Hand priming your are defeating the whole idea of loading.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/4E03D3FA-0456-475E-87CF-BACDBBBB184D-164-000002E88FC17FB6_zpse549baac.mp4

MtGun44
04-20-2013, 03:47 PM
LOL, my small primer version still spits out about 25% or more and lets them turn
sideways and upside down, too. Not quite a ***, but trying to be. Pretty much
the worst piece of Lee equipment I own. I LIKE most Lee equipment and have
owned lot of it for 35+ yrs. My small primer safety prime seems to be a bit too
generous with the clearances, not properly controlling the small primers. Lg primer
version works well.

Bill

huntnfish72
04-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Gotta tweak each press.

huntnfish72
04-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Took steel wool to primer slide on 550. Never misses one now

huntnfish72
04-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Had to Rennes pin on lee shell holder. The clip that holds she'll holder

huntnfish72
04-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Had to do same on rcbs press.

max range
04-28-2013, 12:48 AM
With a LCT part of the learning curve is to realize the included instructions are worthless. Then you are required to shred one of the little square gizmo's that the index rod passes through. Following some tips here, I lubed the die holder with Imperial sizing wax, used the same on the index rod and 90% of the problems went away. The priming arm HAS to have a straight run or swing, at the primer holder cup in the ram. You have to lean back and check the orientation. Next you have to adjust the height using a washer IF necessary. For some weird reason, only with 45acp is the cup too high for the plastic priming arm. I add a washer under the bracket or lower the shell (ram) a bit before I make the hook up.
I read a good analogy somewhere on the web about the Lee primer device. Think PEZ dispensers. You push it forward till it pushes back a tiny gate, then you push it a little harder and it rocks a primer into the cup. Mine works no less than 95% of the time. Often I will prime 100 without a misshap. Which I hate because the primer falls on the floor and rolls under my rollaway tool box which cannot be moved without a fork lift.

My LCT is one of my fav presses. Several years ago I sold my blue 550. It simply nickle and dimed me to death. Every time I picked up a new caliber to load, it cost as much as the firearm (almost). Not one of the many presses I have owned, did I not have to fiddle and tweak. Except maybe my old Lyman Spartan. After I bought a dozen of the square plastic washers for the indexing rod, I have never ruined another one. The Imperial sizing wax really helps. That and a little patience. If you get frustrated with any reloading process, get up and walk away. Come back later and it will work itself out easier.

trixter
05-01-2013, 05:07 PM
I learned the trick to priming on the press with the LCT. Set up everything according to the instructions. Adjust the primer feeder so it is as straight in line with the primer arm as possible. Now run the sizing/depriming die a little deeper into the turret head until the primer feeder no longer sticks/hangs up and you will be good to go. I tried to shim it with more washers, but then it would not clear the frame. It will still knock out the old primer and size the case just fine. You won't have to worry about the primer jumping out of the primer arm when you try to lower the ram a little to get it to clear, because that has been taken care of.

I hope this helps.

celem
11-11-2013, 07:01 PM
gunoil - that is a really tricked out LCT. Do you have a description of your mods somewhere?

44Vaquero
11-11-2013, 08:18 PM
celem , he is using a Lee Classic Turret Press Automatic Case Ejector Kit sold on E-bay and a bullet feeder from Mrbulletfeeder.biz

Broad Reach
03-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Overall I am quite satisfied with the Lee Safety Prime. It helped to watch the youtube videos regarding the assembly and adjustment.

The only issue I am having with this product is that the primers frequently hang up and do not flow down the urethra-like tube from the reservoir to the dispenser.

If anyone else has a solution, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-07-2014, 08:26 PM
BTW, don't vote for Jug Ears again.

I didn't vote for that commie so and so in the first place.

Silverboolit
03-08-2014, 12:02 AM
Little shot of silicone spray down the tube and my primers scoot right along.

DLCTEX
03-10-2014, 01:48 AM
I use graphite. And oil that square bushing!

dromia
03-10-2014, 05:33 AM
Well I've been struggling with the priming unit on the Lee classic turret now for 6 months, I got one on approval to see if I would stock them.

The press works well is solid and I like it however the priming unit is far too finicky, as I say I've been wrestling with it now for 6 months spending far too much time looking for fixes and trying them all out. I must be doing something right as the large primer unit works near perfect but the small primer unit is useless it only delivers about half the primers, the rest of the time it doesn't drop or drops them anywhere but in the primer arm it is just an ineffective chew on.

It is real shame as the press and indexing are really good but unless the priming works as advertised then the volume benefits of a turret are negated, as a consequence I won't be stocking the item and I will not be recommending it to my customers.

Typical Lee spoiling the ship for a haporth of tar, if Lee would apply some decent quality control they would be a fine company but as it stands their products are too hit and miss.

BDJ
03-10-2014, 08:57 AM
The only issue I am having with this product is that the primers frequently hang up and do not flow down the urethra-like tube from the reservoir to the dispenser.

If anyone else has a solution, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Gun oil/ silicone and a pipe cleaner.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Well I've been struggling with the priming unit on the Lee classic turret now for 6 months, I got one on approval to see if I would stock them.

The press works well is solid and I like it however the priming unit is far too finicky, as I say I've been wrestling with it now for 6 months spending far too much time looking for fixes and trying them all out. I must be doing something right as the large primer unit works near perfect but the small primer unit is useless it only delivers about half the primers, the rest of the time it doesn't drop or drops them anywhere but in the primer arm it is just an ineffective chew on.

It is real shame as the press and indexing are really good but unless the priming works as advertised then the volume benefits of a turret are negated, as a consequence I won't be stocking the item and I will not be recommending it to my customers.

Typical Lee spoiling the ship for a haporth of tar, if Lee would apply some decent quality control they would be a fine company but as it stands their products are too hit and miss.
I totally agree
I have 3 full setups of the saftey prime, here's why:

The first setup was bought with my 4 hole classic turret back in 2006.
Once setup, both large and small worked perfect.
after several thousand large primers were dispensed, the spring broke
in the dispenser head. I actually made a homemade spring and got by.
I ordered a few springs and another complete saftey prime setup as a backup, because I hate being 'down', when I have time to load, I want to load.

The springs came in, and I swapped out the homemade spring, and I must have messed something up, as that Large saftey prime never worked the same, even when I re-installed the homemade spring. So I set that one aside.

I started using the 'backup' Large safety prime and it didn't like to feed some Large rifle primers...brand specific, about 10% of a brand -CCI- won't feed from the tube into the dispenser head (which must be a tiny bit taller or 10% are a tiny bit out of height tolerance?, than the Winchesters I normally use and work fine). No problems at all with any large pistol primers.

So I ordered another complete backup setup. The third Large safety prime is working fine.

I really like Lee's safety prime, but I guess they are quirky

Lastly, I'm still using the first small safety Prime...8 years and tens of thousands of primers through it and it functions excellent. I have never needed to use either of the backups for it.

jdee74
03-10-2014, 09:19 PM
When I first set up my LCT, I had a heck of time with the primer feed. Sometimes it would hang on the primer arm, sometimes it would not drop into the primer cup, and then sometimes it would drop after coming off the primer arm dropping on the floor. The harder I tried the worse that it performed. The next night I studied how the mechanism worked, adjusted this and that, and still had the same issues. Then I tried changing my technique. When I tried to force the primer into the primer cup I would have problems. However, If I gently slid the shuttle forward with just my thumb and forefinger it worked beautifully. Smooth and reliable every time. Try a gentle touch and see if that changes how the Safety Prime functions.

celem
03-10-2014, 10:22 PM
When I first set up my LCT, I had a heck of time with the primer feed. Sometimes it would hang on the primer arm, sometimes it would not drop into the primer cup, and then sometimes it would drop after coming off the primer arm dropping on the floor. The harder I tried the worse that it performed. The next night I studied how the mechanism worked, adjusted this and that, and still had the same issues. Then I tried changing my technique. When I tried to force the primer into the primer cup I would have problems. However, If I gently slid the shuttle forward with just my thumb and forefinger it worked beautifully. Smooth and reliable every time. Try a gentle touch and see if that changes how the Safety Prime functions.

Ditto - I had all the same issues until concentrating on technique - there is an element of art to it. Now I drop, at most, 2 out of 100. I wish that there wasn't art to it, but that is the way it is.

enfieldphile
03-10-2014, 11:34 PM
Agreed!

Just as mechanics understand about "Touch" and machinists understand about "feel", so it is w/ the LSP! Develop the right gentle touch, feel and style, and the LSP will work for you. It becomes second nature once you have it down. :cool:

Kinda like being w/ a woman in a way. Of course, there are those guys that should not mess around with an LSP... or a woman! :kidding:

gunoil
03-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Do the popcycle stick tapped on!

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/DEBA151E-984A-424B-9C68-4BD972CAF36C-239-000001EBB9B9B37D.jpg

celem
03-11-2014, 09:32 AM
In what way does the popcycle help with the Lee Safety Primer? It would seem to only affect the priming arm - preventing it from fully tilting out.

dragon813gt
03-11-2014, 09:48 AM
Do the popcycle stick tapped on!

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/DEBA151E-984A-424B-9C68-4BD972CAF36C-239-000001EBB9B9B37D.jpg

I see no need for that on because I don't even know what its purpose is. I hated on the safety prime a lot. Mine has been running flawlessly for awhile now. Alignment is the number one key. If the arm is lined up properly it drops them perfectly. This is assuming you also use the correct technique w/ it. It really is a one finger operation. It's a little finicky but when you have it all figured out it works like a dream.

typz2slo
03-13-2014, 12:03 AM
I havent had any trouble with my primer feed except when it comes to the last couple primers. I have to hand feed them no matter what brand or if they are large or small.

celem
03-13-2014, 02:40 PM
I havent had any trouble with my primer feed except when it comes to the last couple primers. I have to hand feed them no matter what brand or if they are large or small.

There isn't enough gravitational force if you get down to 2 or 3 primers. I never let that happen and drop another 100 in when the tube is still mostly full.

enfieldphile
03-13-2014, 03:09 PM
Simply tap your finger top lightly on the side of the feed tube. The last few primers will slide down.