PDA

View Full Version : Lee Mold Cleaning

eagle-man
05-07-2012, 09:03 PM
What is the best way to care for a Lee Mold in terms of after casting care? Should I just spray it with oil after it cools? or?..

Thank you!

Beekeeper
05-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Lee molds are aluminum and require no special treatment other than a quick wipedown after they cool and placed in something stout so they do not get dinged.
I store mine in ammo cans in thier original box and have never had a problem.
Box helps you to know what it is without going to the catalog to see.
Hope this helps

beekeeper

454PB
05-07-2012, 09:53 PM
The only problem I've had with Lee moulds is that the pins that secure the blocks to the handles sometimes fall out. This is easily repaired/prevented by adding some additional peening around the pins on the bottom side.

05-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Though Lee's mould blocks are aluminum, the sprue cutters and alignment pins are steel and they get treated with Bullplate.

Muddydogs
05-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Lee molds are aluminum and require no special treatment other than a quick wipedown after they cool and placed in something stout so they do not get dinged.
I store mine in ammo cans in thier original box and have never had a problem.
Box helps you to know what it is without going to the catalog to see.Hope this helps

beekeeper

I noticed this little problem right off and took care of it with an engraver. Now the bottom of my Lee molds bear the appropriate information. Just can't deal with boxes.

nanuk
05-08-2012, 10:49 PM
I noticed this little problem right off and took care of it with an engraver. Now the bottom of my Lee molds bear the appropriate information. Just can't deal with boxes.

+1

the numbers mean little to me so I put the diameter listed and the weight.

I should put the "Actual" diameter and weight with a known alloy... but am too lazy

Beekeeper
05-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Only reason I said keep them in the proper box as with handles they take up the same amount of storage room with or without the box.
Keep mine in their proper box and after 15 years still look like new, but I clean them after each use.

beekeeper

Spedini
05-09-2012, 11:43 AM
I spray all my molds with Ballistol and keep them in used icecream containers.I had a look at my molds for Swedish Nagant and 455 Webley revolvers today and the molds were as fine as the last time l used them.

MtGun44
05-10-2012, 01:40 AM
Nothing. Just put them back in the ammo can. I don't want to crud them up
with oil that isn't necessary and will mess up casting in the future. 462's idea
seems the best to me, since Bullplate won't get in the cavities and it will protect
the steel pins.

Bill

beex215
05-10-2012, 01:57 AM
i just oiled the steel parts so they dont rust.