PDA

View Full Version : brass sizing problem for .38 special

John in WI
05-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Sorry if this isn't the right forum, but I'm not sure where it fits!

I'm using a Lee Loader to reload some once fired brass. This weekend I noticed that some of the rounds would NOT go all the way into the chamber. The first one I pushed with my thumb, and it got stuck to the point I had to give the ejector a gentle tap with my rubber mallet to free it!

I thought maybe it was a bump or something that got deformed when I crimped the load. But now I checked the un-reloaded brass, right out of the sizing die, and maybe 1 in 10 won't fit my chambers.

I don't think it's my old Police issue Smith. It looked clean when I got it, and I went around the cylinder and scrubbed them with bronze, then with Flitz. They look nice, no pits or gouges that should be hanging up the brass. And factory empties don't have a problem dropping out of the cylinder.

What do you think the problem might be? Is the sizing die that came with the Lee Loader slightly too big in diameter?

The other thing I'm wondering is that the brass was not fired from MY gun. So maybe it was fired in a cylinder with substantially bigger chambers that allowed the brass to really expand on firing?
Any thoughts?

Coffeecup
05-07-2012, 08:51 PM
The other thing I'm wondering is that the brass was not fired from MY gun. So maybe it was fired in a cylinder with substantially bigger chambers that allowed the brass to really expand on firing?

This. have a friend run the brass through a full-length sizing die, then only use it in that revolver. Good luck!

cabezaverde
05-07-2012, 08:58 PM
I would be happy to do this for you if needed.

ReloaderFred
05-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Your sizing die isn't sizing the fired brass down enough. With the proper sizing die, you can reduce brass a lot. Do some measuring of the unsized and sized brass and see what the difference is. If the die isn't bringing it down to SAAMI spec. then it's too large in diameter.

Is this the standard press mounted dies, or the hammer driven dies? This also makes a difference.

Hope this helps.

Fred

cabezaverde
05-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Your sizing die isn't sizing the fired brass down enough. With the proper sizing die, you can reduce brass a lot. Do some measuring of the unsized and sized brass and see what the difference is. If the die isn't bringing it down to SAAMI spec. then it's too large in diameter.

Is this the standard press mounted dies, or the hammer driven dies? This also makes a difference.

Hope this helps.

Fred

A Lee loader doesn't fully size the brass, I think.

scattershot
05-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Since your brass is new to you, are you sure it's not .38 Smith & Wesson? Not the same stuff, to be sure.

John in WI
05-07-2012, 09:12 PM
It is the resizing die where you hammer the base of the brass into it (with a plastic mallet).

I'm a little confused because about 90% of the brass fits without any problem, but some just won't!

My understanding is that the .38spl die resizes the full length. At least after you push it out of the die, you can see where marks from the die the full length of the case.

Rick459
05-07-2012, 09:16 PM
when you are using the Lee loader... do you mean the rawhide mallet loader? if i remember correctly the Lee loader both in rifle and pistol does not F/L size..it just sizes the neck area. if the 1x brass was not fired in your gun then this is probably the problem. just run them through a regular F/L sizer. i still use my .38 spec. Lee loader at the range or when i go camping. HTH
Rick

John in WI
05-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Yup--it's the loader where you need a mallet to put rounds together. For as little as I get out to shoot, it's fast enough!

Rick--any favorite rounds for a 158gr LSWC (lee)?

I'll try to find someone with a resizer to do the ones that won't work with my revolver. The other problem--now I have about 10 rounds that I can't shoot!

legi0n
05-07-2012, 09:40 PM
did you trim the brass?
it's possible the brass at issue are longer and jam in the chamber's neck.

Rick459
05-07-2012, 09:42 PM
john,
i only load 148 grn. w/c for plinking and 125 grn. H.P. for defense. i am using CPP(Comerical Pistol Powder) that i bought weidners years ago and which they don't sell any more. i bought 32lbs. for $69.00 a keg. should have bought more. before that i was using win. 231 with good success. HTH
Rick

Rick459
05-07-2012, 10:01 PM
john,
let me see if i have some .38 cases that i can send you. i'll try to get up at least 50 of them and will F/L size them and tumble clean them....... ok john i found 50 nickel plated .38 cases that i can give you. if your interested PM me a addy to where i can send them.
Rick

Groo
05-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Groo here
What model of S&W do you have?
If it is old , it maybe a 38S&W rechambered to 38 spec..
If so that can cause many problems..