PDA

View Full Version : Reworking Mauser Trigger Guard

waksupi
05-07-2012, 03:46 PM
I've been working on a Mauser, and came to the trigger guard today, to get it ready for bluing.
Here are a couple things I do to them.
First, I like to scallop the rear of the trigger guard. It gives a nicer finished appearance, and makes for easier access for the finger.
Picture 1, as-issued
Picture 2, rough guidelines
Picture 3, finished scallop

Second, on this example, the magazine release was proud of the trigger bow. So, I file this down, so it is not sticking out.

All that is left to do is polish things up now.

gnoahhh
05-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Very nice. I do the same thing. Do you put a slight camber (radius) on the outer and inner surfaces too? Were it not for the release on the forward surface of the bow, would you normally scallop that also?

waksupi
05-07-2012, 07:36 PM
I do a slight radius sometimes, just depending on how much time and money is going to be invested in doing it.
I've never done the front, I guess I just never considered doing it on a bolt action rifle.

TCLouis
05-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Looks like what I keep saying I am going to do,but have yet to get roundtuit.

gnoahhh
05-08-2012, 09:28 AM
I do a slight radius sometimes, just depending on how much time and money is going to be invested in doing it.
I've never done the front, I guess I just never considered doing it on a bolt action rifle.

I used to not do the front also, but when I saw one done like that I fell in love with the style.

Another thing I started doing on the last couple was to grind the top surface of the tang into a more gradual taper, which allows the pistol grip to be just that little bit more graceful. I imagine guys have been doing that for years, but sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake!

waksupi
05-08-2012, 04:28 PM
I used to not do the front also, but when I saw one done like that I fell in love with the style.

Another thing I started doing on the last couple was to grind the top surface of the tang into a more gradual taper, which allows the pistol grip to be just that little bit more graceful. I imagine guys have been doing that for years, but sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake!

I always reshape the tang area, to bring it down so the bolt does not need a clearance channel cut in the wood. It does make a big difference for making better lines on a rifle.

DCM
05-11-2012, 08:32 PM
VERY Nice work and craftsmanship!!

Joni Lynn
05-11-2012, 10:15 PM
It's looking nice Ric.

bruce drake
05-12-2012, 10:09 AM
1909 Arg donor action? I love those mag catch releases. Just wish the design stayed with the entire Mauser line. I understand war-time expediency took that away but such a nice "custom" feature.

Bruce

Joni Lynn
05-12-2012, 01:12 PM
A few years ago I bought an entire complete rifle just to get that bottom metal.
I was fortunate and found another bottom metal to replace that one.

mstarling
05-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Have an Argie in progress. Is a .376 Steyr. Need to clean up the rear end of the bolt, contour the bottom metal, and do a rust blue.

Gotta say ... Darned! The .376 Steyr is LOUD!