PDA

View Full Version : Have ya got a "T"-bolt ??

Jack Stanley
05-06-2012, 11:00 PM
I've seen the pictures of the new Browning "T"-bolt rifles and of course the blued steel and sporter stock are catching my eye . Of course the fact they are available chambered in twenty-two magnum and the bolt on the left side is nice too .

Since I've never used a "T"-bolt if you have some insight I'd like to hear it . I don't have but one Browning right now but I've always been happy with them .

If all else fails , I got to handle a Savage 93 GL the other day :bigsmyl2:

Thanks , Jack

Tom-ADC
05-07-2012, 04:45 PM
No but I've always wanted one. Some of the best wood I've ever seen on a rimfire were on a Browning T-Bolt my friend owned.
BTW I have three Savages a 93R17 FV, 93R17 BTVS & a MK II in 22 lr all three shoot great.

Char-Gar
05-07-2012, 04:58 PM
I have one of the original T-Bolts that came out in the early 70's when they were made in Belgium. It is LH and has the high grade wood. It is a great shooting rifle. Highly recommended.

twotoescharlie
05-07-2012, 06:29 PM
I also had one of the originals, LH, gave it to my youngest daughter as she also shoots lefthanded. if I remember correctly they were less than $100.00 when I purchased this one,not anymore!!

TTC

Jack Stanley
05-07-2012, 10:41 PM
You guys with the left handed T-bolts remind me of the lefty I saw at a show many years ago . I passed it by then and probably shouldn't have .

Just seeing the pictures of the left hand sporters chambered in twenty-two mag look nice , I could even affored one if I want to . looking at the job I want it to do I've been thinking about how much it'll get used which may be not much . So I the Savage 93GL is looking better at least in the money department if it doesn't get a lot of use . Savage is two hundred forty bucks compared to six seventy . Pretty is nice but if I need a rifle to drool on I got the Kimber deluxe I can look at :)

It's good to hear the Savage rifles shoot well They got a tough act to follow after 'cause the Kimber eighty-two left hand is a nail driver . :mrgreen:

I'm going shopping again this weekend with my pal on the west end of the state so I'll see if anything sticks to me .

Jack

snowwolfe
05-07-2012, 11:49 PM
I bought two of the new models, both in 22 mag about 2 years ago. A right hand model for my wife and a left hand model for me. Never have shot mine yet but the wife sure likes her's. Under 1 inch 5 shot groups at 50 yards is a piece of cake. They are well built and accurate.
My only complaint is the left hand model ejects the cases out of the right side of the action, just like the right hand model.

Jack Stanley
05-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Now here's a point of curiousity about the T-bolt . Other bolt rifles are easy to get the bolt out for cleaning from the breech end , how difficult is getting the bolt out of the Browning ?

Jack

snowwolfe
05-08-2012, 02:19 PM
It is not difficult at all to remove the bolt.

fecmech
05-08-2012, 03:35 PM
I 've had this one since the 70's. It's a "Saltwood" T bolt meaning they cured the wood in saltand if you are not careful it rusts the action and barrel. I refinished the stock but you can't seal the salt in. Instead I lined the inside of the barrel channel and action with silicone dialectric compound, screwed the action in and wiped off the excess. That leaves a barrier between the salt and metal and has worked great. Only other solution is a new stock and I like the wood on this one. As far as removing the bolt, just pull the trigger and remove.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll80/fecmech/Dscn0865.jpg

twotoescharlie
05-08-2012, 08:05 PM
I looked at the browning website today,cheapest T-bolt close to $850.00, don't think I can afford another on SS.

TTC

Wayne Smith
05-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Yes, Jack, I have one in 22Mag. Very nice rifle, class act, and accurate to boot. 3/4" at 50 yds if you do your part is relatively easy once you find the ammo it likes. Opens up a bit at 100yds, as expected.