PDA

View Full Version : Do you think...?

Ragnarok
05-06-2012, 11:45 AM
....That a single screw will hold a rear sight robbed off a 740 Rem barrel onto a Krag barrel?

I've started tinkering on my old battered..sporterized .30-40 Krag again.

The rugged looking Krag was wearing a beat-up missing parts/broken M1898 rear sight...and a home-made front sight consisting of what was left of the old original front sight base brazed onto a hunk of thin pipe and soldered onto the barrel with a home-made blade just wedged in the slot.

I dug around in my parts and pieces pile..and found the old 740 barrel still wearing the factory Rem sights...and an old Lyman banded ramp front base.

I discovered the rear Remington base would be about the right height for the Lyman front ramp with the Rem brass blade installed.

The only deal is the Rem rear sight will only have one screw holding it to the barrel.

Think one screw will work OK??

looseprojectile
05-06-2012, 01:17 PM
If that sight is the aluminum one with the elevation ramp it outta work just fine.
I probably would not send one like that out for a customer unless I told him how it was done.

One time I glued scope bases on a CETME for myself and they held for more than five hundred rounds.
J&B weld is your friend.

All a steer can do, is try!

Life is good

Ragnarok
05-06-2012, 01:35 PM
The rear ramp ain't aluminum....it's steel. Same sights you see on 700 Rems..740 and 7400..760 and 7600 rifles too.

I thought about the glue and screw deal..and may do that. Also thought about drilling and tapping another hole...but just hate to. I've seen cool old rifles with holes drilled all up and down the receiver and barrel...just hate to drill more holes...I already have an extra factory hole I need to find a plug screw for.

gnoahhh
05-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Yes, I guess it'll hold it ok. Just don't bump it too hard against anything. Do you really think a 760 sight will look right on a 110 year old rifle? Why not scrounge up an original Krag sight? A little judicious shopping should find one that won't break the bank.

The last Springfield sporter I bought (Rock Island #400,00+ receiver) had a Williams or Remington or somesuch sight screwed to the barrel. It was in the trash can five minutes after I was in the door.

Ragnarok
05-06-2012, 02:37 PM
It's a sporter now...hunting rifle..for hunting...'Bubba' done been there although I wish he hadn't.

I just want some sights on it and the old Krag sight is about as 'handsome' bolted to a bare Krag barrel as a Holly carburator would be.

Pavogrande
05-07-2012, 04:06 PM
I presume the rem sight is too short to pick up both screw holes in the barrel. How about a stepped retainer screwed to barrel and a threaded hole and screw from it to hold the sight down. Sure wish this computer was a pencil and paper :-)

Ragnarok
05-07-2012, 07:48 PM
I presume the rem sight is too short to pick up both screw holes in the barrel. How about a stepped retainer screwed to barrel and a threaded hole and screw from it to hold the sight down. Sure wish this computer was a pencil and paper :-)

Yep...I have the Rem sight screwed to the rear original Krag hole...makes it just right in height for my Lyman/Rem front set-up.

I see what your thinking...and had thought about brazing a plate onto the bottom of the Rem sight base to catch both screw-holes...and thought about searching for a rear peep sight that replaces the mag-cutoff...but think I may just screw and glue the sight on....looks cleaner.

The sight seems plenty sturdy with one screw...and the Krag doesn't recoil much...however I've seen recoil do some strange things to scope mounts...