PDA

View Full Version : Preferences

Pepe Ray
04-12-2007, 10:41 PM
More and more I read that BP shooters have it tuff finding pure(soft) lead. It seems commonly accepted that roof/chimney flashing is that. I submit that old plumbing pipes fall into that group also.
In my scrounging I find as much soft stuff as WW. I'm considering offering part of my stash for trade for WW's . Some of my inventory is already in ingots. Some is still unprocessed.
Question- Do BP shooters prefer the certainty of stock (unprocessed material) or the convenience of ingots?
Pepe Ray

mooman76
04-12-2007, 11:22 PM
If it were me I'd rather have the ingots. Saves some work, less trouble than dealing with the bulk and so on. Soft lead is hard to find usually and you might get 50% more or even 2-1 on the deal! I got lucky and got a abunant supply of both.

mazo kid
04-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Are you offering a 1:1 trade? I did this earlier this Winter and we traded ~50# shipped in the USPS Flat Rate boxes, beefed up with extra cardboard inside and taped up really good outside. The boxes came thru relatively unscathed. Guess they were too heavy to throw very far! Emery

Pepe Ray
04-19-2007, 01:27 AM
mazo kid;
Sorry for the delay. Just got my PC repaired. BIG STORM here ya know.
ATT I'm not gonna rotate any stock. Was tryin' to establish if there was a pref.
Are BP shooters satisfied w/an ID stamp on an ingot or would they rather see the stuff in its unprocessed state? Obviously it would/should be more valuable as ingots. Roll flashing is not difficult to store and I can keep it like that if it would be prefferred. Thanks for your input.
Pepe Ray

Moose
04-19-2007, 06:37 PM
We had our new well tested by a buddy at the local lab - part of the deal was to check some roof flashing for me for lead content. He said "this stuff is 99%lead--"
so naturally I asked what the other percent was. His response was "how much did I want to spend?" on the project, since there's about 30 some odd other things there, all traces. You know, arsenic, gold (!), silver, jub-jub metal, cat poo oxides, silicon, some sort of vegtable oil used in forming the sheets, and so on. Stuff is plenty soft and casts just fine, if you get it hot!

flyingstick
04-24-2007, 08:15 AM
I cast my round balls from WW and they shoot just fine. I do cast pure(soft) lead balls to hunt with, but for everyday shooting I just use WW. The patch seems to grab the WW lead OK. I may even sart hunting with them because everything I've killed, even with soft lead just made a clean roundball hole anyway. From .40 cal. up to .58. I can't find any signs of expansion from a roundball.
Don

50 Caliber
04-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Brother in Law owns a Scrap yard, All the WW's I can gather. I have 800 pounds of ww lead smelted and turned into ingots in the garage on a pallet under my bench.
Recently purchased 50+ lbs pure lead on Ebay for about .50cents a pound.