PDA

View Full Version : Colt King Cobra

waco
05-06-2012, 12:22 AM
so i have a chance to buy a 6" SS Cobra.
super clean, no signs of any real use. factory box, papers, ect...
89 year old man consigned it at local gun shop.
no kids or family to hand it down to.
this thing is SWEET!
$750 takes it home.
sounds pretty good to me, comparing prices on gunbroker.
what say you guys????

Reloader06
05-06-2012, 01:17 AM
I've only temporarily regreted buying a gun. I still regret not buying several guns. Make the old man happy and give it a good home

Matt

rintinglen
05-09-2012, 11:25 AM
It's a shade high to me. I know that rampant ponies automatically add a third to the price, but the King Cobra is nought but a fancified Mark 5, and they simply aren't that nice. For that kind of money I can get an S&W 686, which I much prefer.

Patrick L
05-10-2012, 08:28 PM
I have to agree, that's just a bit high for that model. If you could get it for , say $600, then I'd jump.

revolvergeek
05-11-2012, 03:16 PM
I spent a little over 5 years working at the only big box sporting goods store in town while going to college part time. We sold a LOT of guns. Colt King Cobras and Walther PPK/S' were the two guns that we had the most returns and complaints about. The King Cobras had issues with timing, binding up and ignition problems.

Needless to say, that doesn't mean that you would have a problem with that one, just that in my experience you might. Are you thinking of it more as an investment or a shooter? If as an investment (since it has all the box/papers/etc), sounds like a ok price on a gun that is almost certainly going to continue to go up in value over the years. I would try to get them to eat the tax or talk them down a little on it though if possible.

If as a shooter, I would personally pass and look for a nice 586/686/27/28 or GP100.

hardy
05-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Hi Waco,got a 4"SS ,took a week amassing lead,jacketed even factory and my target looked like an Air Traffic Controller,s radar screen,little blips everywhere!!!Backto the store,same day, they actually made good on my expenses!Sorry, but not impressed.Was this worth two cents?LOL Mike

Ickisrulz
05-11-2012, 08:14 PM
The barrel came loose on my 6" King Cobra. I traded it away.

bearcove
05-11-2012, 08:39 PM
I bought mine with a 4" bbl in late 80's for 350. Nice but gave it to a friend discounted a bit kept my S&W's

smkummer
05-13-2012, 07:54 PM
If Colt brings that gun back, its retail price will probably be more than that. Sometimes they start at a lower price but hit $700 pretty quick. Box and papers do add to the value. I had a 6 in Stainless when they were cheap ($325) and sold it to my brother with the understanding that he was to sell it back to me if he needed the cash. A friend talked him out of it without me knowing. It shot perfectly.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Yeah, the Colts have gotton expensive for sure.
I also bought a 6" STS King Cobra new in the early 90's for $325.
I never had any issues with it, it was a real tight revolver
and accurate enough in my hands.
two years ago, I was given the opporunity to trade it for a nice S&W.
I got $600 of value for it, I couldn't turn it down as I prefer the Smith's.

BTW, I'm looking for a S&W model 625 in 45 acp, 4" bbl. It must be a -8 or -10.
anyone got one to sell ?
Jon