PDA

View Full Version : Darned RCBS molds

Stick_man
05-05-2012, 11:01 PM
I was all excited to start casting a few .44s with my new (to me) RCBS mold. Went to put some handles on it and the rain came down on my parade. Then I remembered the Lee 6-cav handles won't fit the RCBS molds unless you shave them down. Uggggh! So much for casting any .44s today. I think I have bought my last RCBS mold.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-05-2012, 11:13 PM
RCBS make a good mold just gt the right handles for it

Balduran
05-05-2012, 11:34 PM
I agree with Luckydawg13, my Rcbs handles are nicer than my lee ones. Also my lee molds needed some finishing work. Not so with my RCBS, nice little projectiles as soon as i got it to tempreture.

Dennis Eugene
05-05-2012, 11:39 PM
So, your going to deprive yourself of some of the best molds made because they don't fit a certain type of handle with out a little bit of work on your part or getting the correct set of handles. Yeah that sure makes a lot of sense. Dennis

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-05-2012, 11:59 PM
I just wish that RCBS made some 4 or bigger cavity molds.

They are far and away better then Lyman in quality.

With the Lyman, I need wrenches or allen wrenches always on hand to keep them from falling apart.

Have had a couple of the LBT molds were were good, and one made by Bruce - Babore - that was excellent. Wish he was still making molds!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Stick_man
05-06-2012, 12:17 AM
It is interesting some of the things a person will say in times of frustration and fatigue. However, with all the great group buys happening here, I very well may have purchased my last RCBS mold (or Lyman or Lee for that matter). Notice, I didn't say I was going to sell this one. I just need to find some handles that will fit it. All my other molds work well with the 6-cav handles that I can swap between them.

Old Caster
05-06-2012, 11:03 AM
I always buy Lee when no one else makes the mold I want. -- Bill --:-P

seagiant
05-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Hi,
Here is your problem,spend the money for a set of RCBS handles.They are not cheap but once you use that RCBS IRON mold you will want another and another and.....

Huntducks
05-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Want to go on the cheap stick with lee or weld a pair of channel locks to your mold [smilie=l:

Shooter
05-06-2012, 04:40 PM
A little filing and a couple extra holes, and Lyman handles fit.

Love Life
05-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Seagiant- I sure do love them RCBS moulds. I just wish they made a 3 or 4 cavity. Hands down my favorite moulds.

1bluehorse
05-06-2012, 08:49 PM
What?? Lee handles won't fit an RCBS mold??? Boy I sure won't be buying anything from Lee again.........:veryconfu

gray wolf
05-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Heck fellas, the OP was just tellen a story about his handles.
I am sure he knows he can purchase R C B S handles.
I think he was just telling us what happened.

Longone
05-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Maybe the caption should read"Darned Lee handles" !

Longone

MBTcustom
05-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Lee is the best stuff in the world! That darned mold should be gotten rid of! I tell you what, you box it up and send it to me ans I will make sure it gets its just deserts!
Just pulling your leg buddy, I know sometimes I post things in a way that gets misinterpreted. I have to admit though, that RCBS makes the best factory molds that I have tried. I own about 3 of them and they all work really really well.
If you are not tooled up to the point that you can easily cut down the Lee handles, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can help you out.

9.3X62AL
05-10-2012, 07:10 PM
RCBS moulds are worth buying a set of handles for. I've been at this for a while (31 years), and have accumulated Lyman 1- and 2-cavity handles--RCBS handles--Lee 6-cavity handles--and a set of SAECO handles. No matter what mould make I buy, SOMETHING is bound to fit.

I have great respect for those that can adapt their existing tooling to fit a second/other application. But sometimes you just owe it to yourself to optimize, to get the best possible experience from your precious hobby time.

Stick_man
05-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Well, I broke down and bought a set of RCBS handles. Yes, they are nice. If this thing casts as nice as everybody says it will, I may have to take back all those mean nasty things I said about RCBS. :oops: Yeah, right! Looks like it may be a keeper after all. Now, I may have to find a levergun to shoot the thing in to make the gas check worth it. [smilie=1:

Circuit Rider
05-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Want a real set of mold handles? Cabine Tree, expensive but well worth the price.

dragonrider
05-10-2012, 10:13 PM
I use Lee handles almost exclusively on all makes of dies. If they don't fit I alter the die to fit. I don't believe that you should grind down the Lee handles to fit becasue of the material and how they are made. They are strong in their as made shape but when you go grinding and filing on them they get week fast. They usually then end up breaking off the ends at the holes. MHO is the Lee handles are the best out there for the money. but if they don't fit one should alter the mold slots and not the handles.

MBTcustom
05-10-2012, 11:12 PM
They are strong in their as made shape but when you go grinding and filing on them they get week fast.
Thanks for that tidbit Paul. I didn't know that. What are they case hardened? I have Lee, RCBS, and Lyman handles so I have not had to modify any of them yet.

Dave Bulla
05-11-2012, 01:32 AM
Hey circuitrider,

I looked up cabine tree to see what handles you are talking about. If you have a set, I've got a question. Does the upper (metal) handle just work like a toggle that cams over center at the barrel nut? They look like they'd be easy for me to make. I'll have to look into that when I get back to work.

It makes perfect sense to have a gentle cam-over for repeatable squeeze pressure on the blocks. Thanks for the tip.

John Boy
05-11-2012, 04:15 PM
RCBS mold handles on eBay for half the retail price!

Circuit Rider
05-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Dave, yes that is it. CR

dragonrider
05-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Goodsteel, no they are not case hardened, they are made from powdered metal in a process involving heat and pressure. Don't know the composition of the metal but I believe is contains some aluminum. This material is not like solid steel that RCBS and LYMAN handles are made of, it is consideralbly less expensive, as is the process of making them.

Daddyfixit
05-12-2012, 04:49 AM
I've modified quite a few LEE handles to fit and never had a problem.
Used a belt sander. Doesn't take much...quite easy

Heavy lead
05-12-2012, 05:26 AM
I've modified quite a few LEE handles to fit and never had a problem.
Used a belt sander. Doesn't take much...quite easy

ditto, no big deal they work just fine on RCBS molds, fwiw I'm broken Lee's, but not from grinding them thinner, I also have broken new lyman handles, two in fact, the new ones IMO are not as good as the lee handles

MBTcustom
05-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Heavy Lead, we should arm wrestle sometime. NOT!!!

gcsteve
05-15-2012, 02:35 PM
ebay is fine when you get a good deal, but after trying to get a good deal i finally broke down and bought new RCBS handles from Bud's for $32.99. Every time I bid on a decent used set, it ended up going for around $28 to $30 plus shipping. And when they come up here on Swappin & Sellin, they (like most everything else) sell in five minutes (lol). Might as well buy new...

.22-10-45
05-17-2012, 01:47 AM
Hello, Be careful about filing & adding holes to Lyman handles to make them fit RCBS moulds. The RCBS mould is much wider...alignment pins further apart than on Lyman. The shorter angle of operation could bind those pins and deform alignment holes.

Elkins45
05-23-2012, 08:56 AM
I don't suppose I need to say this, but I will anyway: if you decide to thin a set of Lee handles to fit an RCBS mold make sure you gring on the BOTTOM surfaces. The tops need to remain factory true so the blocks maintain precise alignment.

Old Shooter
05-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Every mold I own has a set of it's own handles, the Lee's are the best for the buck by far. I cast only about 1000 or so in a year, total. As I am 67 the molds and handles will outlast me for sure.

40Super
06-01-2012, 09:18 AM
I'm trying to get a handle for every mold but am a few short. Ebay? half the price of new??? I guess maybe ,but it will take two or three years of bidding on every pair that comes up until you get lucky to find a beatup pair that nobody else bids on.I tried for a month and not one of the 8 or 9 that sold were under $32.00 + $10 - $14 shipping(extra pocket money for the seller) ,doesn't add up when new are $37 to $40.

kenyerian
06-01-2012, 09:49 AM
I don't have much luck buying on auction sites either!. I just wait until Mid South or Midway have a deal on shipping and load up. I do like RCBS products and their customer service. I also like to have handles for each mold that I use a lot.

whiteoak
06-01-2012, 08:39 PM
I only tried RCBS once and went back to Lyman for everything, except the cheep lee's to try something new for little cash.

One Gun Andy
06-04-2012, 02:26 PM
I tend to count the mold handles as part of the cost of a new (or another) mold, whatever the brand. I like to keep things simple... like me.

Defcon-One
06-06-2012, 07:29 PM
I tend to count the mold handles as part of the cost of a new (or another) mold, whatever the brand. I like to keep things simple... like me.

How many molds could you need with only ONE GUN, Andy?

Just kidding, but I'm with you....

On th OP's issue. It is simple, Buy one set of RCBS handles! Problem solved and you will open up a whole new world of bullet styles!

I have about 8 - SAECO molds and 6 - RCBS molds. I love the RCBS rifle bullet designs. SAECO wins for handgun bullets. I like a bevel base if I'm not using a gas check.

One more time: Buy one set of RCBS handles!