PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about this guy and his mold?

jgh4445
05-05-2012, 10:09 PM
There is a video or two on you tube showing 240gr cast boolit performance in an 1860 BP revolver. The guy who posts vids goes by Duelist1954. He's the blackpowder editor of Guns of the Old West Magazine.The video I'm talking about is one comparing RB's to conicals and the conical is a custom boolit made by "Kaido". He sells the molds. Anyone know anything about this boolits? The mold?

Bent Ramrod
05-05-2012, 11:19 PM
He's a better man than I am. I always found the round balls gave better accuracy and higher velocity. Never checked them against the conicals on water jugs.

I would have liked to see the video on how he managed to get 40 grains of GOEX into the chambers under that long boolit. He must have used a hydraulic press to do so. About 30 grains, even with the creeping loading lever of the 1860, was about all I remember being able to get in there behind a hollow base conical or a round ball.

jgh4445
05-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Yeah. I imagine he used one of those cylinder loaders. That would be quite a chore to undertake with the loading lever on the revolver.

Revolver
05-06-2012, 10:16 AM
It might be this guy... Casting with Kaido (http://www.youtube.com/user/MrKaido93) maybe you can ask him about it?

fcvan
05-06-2012, 01:30 PM
I enjoyed watching the video as it gave great closeups of the boolits and complete paper cartridges. The 216 grain conical boolit is similar to the Lee 200 grain conical mold I have for my 1858 Remington copy. These paper cartridges use nitrated paper to aid in ignition. I liked the packaging as it looked very authentic.

I watched another Youtube video where a fellow was making paper cartridges using cigarette papers. Go to Youtube, type in 'black powder paper cartridges" and watch the videos by Fotoandt. He was loading round balls with BP and corn meal filler. Apparently the cigarette paper when seated either burns from the cap or is disrupted when seated exposing powder.

I haven't tried this yet as I need to mold up some soft lead balls and conicals. Once I get this figured out I plan on packaging up some cartridges for some buddies who also enjoy their old BP revolvers. Making the packaging looks like a lot of fun too and will make the final product a nifty presentation. Frank

jgh4445
05-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Just watched a video on you tube where another guy was using one og Kaido's boolits and he killed a small buck with a Stainless ROA. Got a pass thru on the deer with the entrance at the point of the left shoulder and the exit, quite a bit larger, above the right sholder. Think I may have to try this boolit.