PDA

View Full Version : Picking up range lead

currahee1911
05-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Hi,
New to this. Thought I would get started today by gathering lead.

Method: small, close tine rake; large dustpan, wire fry basket (as a sifter).
Rake to duspan, sift into bucket.

Any suggestions as to a better way?

Thanks, any help appreciated.

-C

:drinks:

oneokie
05-05-2012, 09:52 PM
If your budget will allow it, just go bigger with the equipment.

currahee1911
05-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Picked out 3 live .22 rounds. Gonna spread em again tomorrow for a double check.
-C.

Stick_man
05-06-2012, 12:05 AM
Welcome to the forum! Wait for a good rainstorm. Go right after it, a lot of the lead will be right on top now with the dirt washed away. Be careful to not upset the berm too much.

Jamesconn
05-06-2012, 12:29 AM
just get some 1/4in hardware cloth staple it onto a square of scrap wood and shovel it in and sift. Yea ive picked out 22 rds too gotta be careful when smelting get a dutch oven with a lid and unless your stirrin and skimin stay well away.

currahee1911
05-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Yeah, but don't need to go to the berms. This range is a Cowboy/Action Pistol so all the targets are steel and the lead lies on the ground.

Nice, why I decided to do it.
-C
:smile:

bbs70
05-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Now why didn't I think about that.
The club I belong to has cowboy shoots once a month and there is lead splatter in a line where the metal targets were.
A friend goes out to the range on occasion to pick up the lead, he does this on his hands and knees.
Seems your idea is a MUCH better way of doing it, gonna have to tell him about it.

colt 357
05-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Welcome to the forum! Wait for a good rainstorm. Go right after it, a lot of the lead will be right on top now with the dirt washed away. Be careful to not upset the berm too much.
Second that one me and my son got a half 5 gallon bucket in no time that way on the pistol range. but almost needed a fork truck to get it back to the truck. Now I leave the 5 gallon bucket in the truck and use a small bucket to transfer to the truck then a 2 wheel cart to the smelter.

Freightman
05-07-2012, 08:17 AM
I use a screen and redress the berm when I am through, I also use two buckets one to get the boolits off the screen and one in the back of the truck to dump them in. I am not strong enough to lift a five gallon bucket of lead.

Crawdaddy
05-07-2012, 03:32 PM
I just started doing this. In 2 trips, about 30 minutes each time I managed to pick up 40 pounds right off the surface. No equipment even needed.

I brought a rake with me but never touched it. I can only do it when no one else is at the range. I figure I can pick up enough so that I will never buy any lead again.

Sorry Jim! :)

Crawdaddy
05-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Yeah, but don't need to go to the berms. This range is a Cowboy/Action Pistol so all the targets are steel and the lead lies on the ground.

Nice, why I decided to do it.
-C

Hmmm.. consider that idea stolen. THANKS!

Jim
05-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Picked out 3 live .22 rounds. Gonna spread em again tomorrow for a double check.
-C.

I've been sifting, washing, hand separating, smelting and casting four back hoe buckets worth of range soil every day. It's real easy to miss a live round occasionally. I've gotten so accustomed to a 22 cooking off in the pot that I don't pay any attention to it anymore.

The other day, something centerfire snuck by. When it cooked off, it blew the lid off the smelter about an inch and it set right back down. THAT one got my attention!

John in WI
05-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Dang Jim! I bet that was interesting!
I was burning trash for my grandmother once, and I must have cooked off a can of hairspray or something--blew her sun catchers right off the windows!

currahee1911
05-07-2012, 08:59 PM
just get some 1/4in hardware cloth staple it onto a square of scrap wood and shovel it in and sift. Yea ive picked out 22 rds too gotta be careful when smelting get a dutch oven with a lid and unless your stirrin and skimin stay well away.

Thanks for the tip on hardware cloth, can make screens, etc.

-C. :drinks:

currahee1911
05-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Hmmm.. consider that idea stolen. THANKS!

Steal away, dude.
-C ;)

currahee1911
05-07-2012, 09:02 PM
I've been sifting, washing, hand separating, smelting and casting four back hoe buckets worth of range soil every day. It's real easy to miss a live round occasionally. I've gotten so accustomed to a 22 cooking off in the pot that I don't pay any attention to it anymore.

The other day, something centerfire snuck by. When it cooked off, it blew the lid off the smelter about an inch and it set right back down. THAT one got my attention!

Jim,
How big a pot and what does your lid weigh?
Thanks,
C. :smile:

Jim
05-08-2012, 05:38 AM
It's a 12 quart dutch oven and I have no clue how much the lid weighs. I've never been inspired to research that.

currahee1911
05-08-2012, 10:16 AM
It's a 12 quart dutch oven and I have no clue how much the lid weighs. I've never been inspired to research that.

Not into weighing pot lids myself. I guess the question could be better put as:
would a five pound weight contain a .22 explosion?

Just a little concerned by how easily those slipped by my first inspection.
-Thanks,
C.

Jim
05-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Make sure you get all the live ammo out before you smelt and you won't have to worry about how heavy the lid is or blowing it off.

currahee1911
05-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Make sure you get all the live ammo out before you smelt and you won't have to worry about how heavy the lid is or blowing it off.

okay
:wink: