PDA

View Full Version : So, my relocation to Upstate SC didn't work out.

ScottJ
05-05-2012, 09:31 PM
No reflection on the area at all. It was really nice but just wasn't meant to be. Below is my outpouring of the whole thing.

I'm really glad to be back home though.

Well, that certainly didn’t go as planned. What I’m calling the great relocation experiment of 2012 has ended with me back in Vandiver, AL where I started. I’ve been a little secretive about this because I feel like a bit of a failure because of how it all played out. But, the very personal outpouring I’m about to do is part of getting past that.

It happened all at once in the latter third of March. I had a couple of “grass is not greener” sort of events at work and my house of cards just collapsed. Before that I was “all in” as they say. My wife and I had already switched our drivers’ licenses, we’d both bought three year resident fishing licenses. We’d taken a CWP class at $60 each and I had sent in my application with its $50 non-refundable fee.

But the fact was we weren’t going to be able to sell the house without taking a huge loss or possibly just walking away and letting it go to foreclosure. I thought I was emotionally prepared to do that but it turns out I wasn’t. Facing that made me realize just how much I missed home. By “home” I mean my house, my Church home and the “family” that comes with it and our community. I had thought I was appreciative of all those blessings but it seems I’d only scratched the surface. Some of that feeling really confuses me because neither my wife nor I are from Vandiver, we have no relatives of any sort here yet when we moved away we missed it as though we’d both lived there all our lives rather than just 9 years.

So, facing this reality I inquired about opportunities that would allow me to move back. In a mere three weeks I was able to find something (odd after looking for 18 torturous months to escape before). Unfortunately it does involve an 8% pay cut so I ask for supportive prayers as we work through that.

I still believe all of this experience was a God thing. We came down over Easter weekend for the Casting Crowns concert. I was able to work my interview into the Friday before. We attended our Church home of Pleasant Grove Baptist on Easter Sunday and my pastor delivered a sermon that really spoke to me. The gist of it was that when facing challenges we should pray for strength and endurance rather than deliverance. For the 18 months I’d spent trying to get out of the job before moving to SC I’d prayed for deliverance. I believe God finally said “fine, but here’s what it’ll cost you”.

I believe He also is teaching us many different things with the experience. I think he wants us to be better stewards of our blessings and the pay cut is part of it because it’ll force us to live on a stricter budget rather than the sort of budget we had before.

He’s also teaching me to not let job stresses spill over into my personal life. I thought I’d done pretty well with that before but as I look back now I think I’d let myself slide into borderline depression back toward the end of 2011. The entire Fall of the year including Thanksgiving and Christmas is a barely memorable blur to me because I was letting my loathing of my job pollute my whole outlook.

But even if there is no other benefit to any of this the experience has certainly drawn my wife and I closer than we’ve ever been over our 16 years of marriage (not that we were distant before) and opened up new depths of love and understanding between us. That was certainly worth the price of admission.

I have also managed to shed a bit more my inherent misanthropy. I’m not the sort that accepts friendship well due to some scars from my distant past. I tend to think that if someone helps me out then it’s because they want me to owe them rather than simple selflessness on their part. I’ve had so many examples of selfless friendship displayed to me over the past 4 months that it has to be God whacking me on the head and saying “let it go”. I have nothing but undying gratitude for all those friends who were a part of teaching me that lesson through all this.

So, we’re back with a new mission to do many things better. I pray that I’m up to all the challenges because there are still plenty. I welcome any prayers of support on that.

bradh
05-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Very well written. I often think one must be a little older to learn these LIFE lessons.
Thank You for sharing!

MT Gianni
05-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Scott, there is no reason to feel like a failure from the experiences that you have described.

Heavy lead
05-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Thank You for sharing that, whether you realize it or not that in itself was a very powerful sermon, I greatly appreciate it sir.
May you continue to be blessed, certainly this seems to an outsider a blessing. I applaud you for your ability to listen to the almighty.

Lefty SRH
05-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Welcome home again there my casting brother, enjoyed lunch friday.....hope to see you at a match soon.
What did you think of Larry's? Did you get any primers?

LOL

ScottJ
05-05-2012, 11:18 PM
What did you think of Larry's? Did you get any primers?

LOL

Larry's Pistol & Pawn was packed. Is it always like that?

I got a thousand each large and small CCI pistol. I had to strongly resist the urge to pick up the 250 round box of .38 for $59.99 so I could shoot 'em up for the brass.

runfiverun
05-06-2012, 12:15 AM
sounds more like a life cleansing.
and your prayers were answered,each one of them ,even the ones you didn't know you put out there.
you might not have been the only one doin the askin.

Blacksmith
05-06-2012, 12:47 AM
The good lord has something for you to do there and he is just preparing you for the task.

jmsj
05-06-2012, 01:05 AM
ScottJ,
I'm glad that this experience has driven your faith. Sounds like you are wise enough to accept the lessons that the Lord has sent your way. I know that sometimes it is difficult for me to see what he is trying to show me.
Good luck, jmsj

ElDorado
05-06-2012, 02:04 AM
The gist of it was that when facing challenges we should pray for strength and endurance rather than deliverance.
Your pastor is a wise man. During my brother’s lengthy illness and death, I realized that strength, guidance, and courage were the most important things we needed, and prayer brought the family through.

I pray that I’m up to all the challenges because there are still plenty. I welcome any prayers of support on that.
My wife’s friend used to say that God will never give you a burden that you can’t handle, and I believe that's true. My prayer's are with you and your family. I'm sure you'll come through just fine.

Jeff

429421Cowboy
05-06-2012, 03:33 AM
I don't see failure in anything you have desribed, the fact that you were wise enough to learn from every single thing that just happened shows that you are better than most. I always tell my girlfriend to look for the lessons that He puts in every tiny aspect of our lives, and on the other hand, she always warns me to be careful, lest my prayers be answered! If you wouldn't have tried you never would have known, and now you can appreciate all that you are given even more. As for the 8% pay loss, what is your's and your wife's quality of life worth? Some of the happiest people i know make very little but love their job and that's all that matters. Prayers be with your family, I am glad between you and Him you have found what really works for you. Best of luck boolit brother!

crabo
05-06-2012, 07:21 AM
It's pretty amazing how you can often look back and see what God was teaching you through a situation.

Sometimes it takes longer than it should due to our misconception of what is going on. (or just being too hard headed to listen to him)

Hamish
05-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Scott, thanks for sharing that brother. Sunday school in an hour, I needed your post.

largom
05-06-2012, 10:07 AM
A little sign I have on my wall: NO MAN EVER BECAME GREAT EXCEPT THROUGH MANY AND GREAT MISTAKES!

Larry

insanelupus
05-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” Isaiah 30:21

Been there done that. Welcome home.

ScottJ
05-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks for all the kind words. I'm really floored that my post which I put up mainly to be informative as to the nature of other posts I'm making (such as re-building the reloading room) is speaking to others on a spiritual level.

Casper29
05-06-2012, 10:26 PM
as is with all of lifes lessons we learn to embrace them, my wife and I over our 24 years togeather have tried numerous times at the grass is greener dream but we always find ourselfs back home a bit wiser and a little more appreciative of what we have. you have our prayers.

Jerry