PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Shiloh Sharps forum?

hightime
05-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Just wondering with that sticky. I'd like to brag about my Pederosoli but, maybe not here. I do like supporting USA companies. I buy from them when I can as long as the price is close. Anyway it's too late I have a Italian Sharps actually I have a lot of Italian replicas. I couldn't get a 1873 Winchester anywhere else or a Smith and Wesson New Model three target pistol. I've grown loyal to them, and don't think twice about their quality. Sorry if that rubs you wrong. I'm just thankful for anyone who makes cool guns. I'm getting by with the smallest of incomes but, I do love my guns.

Owen

MT Chambers
05-05-2012, 06:08 PM
It may seem like a Shiloh forum and I'm as bad as most, I'm canadian but try to buy US made guns,I just don't limit it to Shiloh, as i like C. Sharps and CPA rifles. Just use real black powder in your Pedersoli and all will be forgiven!!

John Boy
05-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Is this a Shiloh Sharps forum?
Owen ... No. As the category description reads it's - Black Powder Cartridge BPCR,your place for combining the Holy Black and Brass.

hightime
05-05-2012, 06:33 PM
I don't get to events but I've got my own 650 yard gong range. I shoot the Quigley 45-110 and my son has the same gun in a 45-120. We have a lot of fun. I still don't understand how the bullets find that target about the same size as the front bead. Anyway , great fun and I like to read what you guys have to say. I compress 106 grs. of Fg with a 520 bullet of my own cast. I'm not sure what sonny boy loads but, I bested him last time and that's hard for this old man to do.

Owen

Seth Hawkins
05-05-2012, 07:10 PM
I think you might be confusing the sticky at the top of the forum that's labeled "The Official Shiloh Sharps Image Thread". That thread is specifically for showing off our Shiloh Sharps rifles. The rest of this forum is for any & every other type of black powder cartridge rifle that anyone chooses to discuss.

By the way - there's nothing wrong with owning a Pedersoli. They make some of the finest guns available. Apologize to no one.

canyon-ghost
05-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Start braggin', start your own picture thread. I might read it and say nothing but, I read it. There's a lot of us that skip over the contradictions and just read about guns.

I bought a Ruger Air Hawk pellet rifle, been shooting grackles out of the trees.

Good Luck,
Ron

PS: that's a good looking rifle there.

Yellowhouse
05-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Best I remember is there are some Pedi rifles in that sticky. So have at it!

wgr
05-05-2012, 08:11 PM
nice wood on that gun

'74 sharps
05-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Italians do nice work some of their firearms. Take a look at the workmanship on a Perazzi, Fabbri, or Guerini and Beretta shotguns. Outstanding. I have two Pedersoli 74's, a 2002 Sharps Deluxe 32", and a Long Range 34" from 2011. Both shoot very well, and are strong as a bank vault and are finished very well. I admire the quality on the two US makers, and someday I may have one; however, I wanted to see if I could get a handle on the BPCR sport before I dropped that sort of money.....

Seth Hawkins
05-05-2012, 09:06 PM
My first Sharps was a 1874 Pedersoli that my wife bought for me for Christmas back around 1995 I think. I bought a 1875 C. Sharps about 6 or 7 years ago. Still have it. It's a tack driver. Got a really good deal on it used on Gun Broker. I think I'm the 4th or 5th owner. It shows some honest wear, what I call "character". I have reached that point in my career where I can spoil myself a little, so I ordered a Shiloh thru Bill Goodman a few years back. Pics of it are in the Shiloh picture sticky thread. It's exactly what I wanted my first Shiloh to be.

Shiloh makes a great rifle. But they aren't the only company making nice guns.

Mike Brooks
05-05-2012, 10:05 PM
I have all american made single shots, Shiloh and CPA. I went Italian with my lever guns and six shooters. What ever trips your trigger!

The Goose
05-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Hightime, that is one nice looking rifle. Amazing wood. I love my Pedersoli's. My first Sharps and my first BPCR was a Pedersoli Long Range Express in 45/70. I bought it used for $600 and it is a tack driver. Since then I have bought a few other Pedersoli's as well as some custom American rifles. However, the price of that first rifle made it accessible for me to get into a facet of shooting that I had never realized existed. I bought it because as a kid I always idolized the Sharps rifle, I always wanted one. Now my main shooting focus is BPCR and it brings me great enjoyment. At the time I would not have shelled out $2500 or more just to try something. Having said that, I have a custom Lonestar rolling block in 50/90 and a Pedersoli Quigley Sharps in 50/90. The Lonestar cost 3 times the Pedersoli and is gorgeous, however, they shoot equally well. I have great respect for Pedersoli rifles.

hightime
05-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm new here and just testing the waters. I retired a few years ago and don't think I'll be affording and more guns in that price range. Thank goodness for a lifetime of aquisitions. With five hundred pounds of lead, my reloading gear and plenty of guns. I'll be OK.

Owen

TXGunNut
05-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Welcome, hightime. My BPCR was made by Pedretti and Sons but I'm lusting after a Shiloh Sharps. I think there's no finer gun than a Shiloh Sharps but I'm afraid my eyesight will make that a moot point.
We talk about other BP cartridges here as well but most of us could care less about BP subs, they're just underperforming SP's, IMHO. My favorite BP cartridge these days is 45 Colt. Not terribly interesting or exciting but great fun to shoot!

NickSS
05-07-2012, 04:32 AM
I guess I am a nut because I have shilohs, C sharps, Pedersolis, Remington RB and a Ballard and love them all. Some are original old rifles and some are reproductions but all are shot and enjoyed. I have found that Pedersoli makes a fine accurate rifle but love the quality of the semi custom built Shiloh and C Sharps rifles and by the way they shoot way better than I can shoot them these days.

Don McDowell
05-07-2012, 10:37 AM
No it's not the Shiloh forum. There are a lot of folks here that shoot Shiloh and C Sharps, also a whole mess of Pedersoli's.
Most folks with the experience will answer with Shiloh or C Sharps when someone comes along and asks which sharps to buy.
But nobody anywhere either on line or at a match will condemn the quality of a Pedersoli.
Armisport, Chiappa and some others from Italy the quality can be a real **** shoot....

Seth Hawkins
05-07-2012, 06:45 PM
I'll second what Don said - not all Italian guns are made the same. Some are very fine guns, like Pedersoli. Some are garbage and should be avoided at all cost.

To be fair, the same could be said of some American guns, too.

TXGunNut
05-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Don pretty much nailed it, as usual. I'm still gathering greenbacks and courage to order a Shiloh Sharps but I'm not a snob. I have a Pedretti & Sons (poor rep) but it's a relatively cheap way of checking out BPCR's.
Don't wait until your eyes are too old for peeps, I'm afraid I may have made that mistake.

bigted
05-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Just wondering with that sticky. I'd like to brag about my Pederosoli but, maybe not here. I do like supporting USA companies. I buy from them when I can as long as the price is close. Anyway it's too late I have a Italian Sharps actually I have a lot of Italian replicas. I couldn't get a 1873 Winchester anywhere else or a Smith and Wesson New Model three target pistol. I've grown loyal to them, and don't think twice about their quality. Sorry if that rubs you wrong. I'm just thankful for anyone who makes cool guns. I'm getting by with the smallest of incomes but, I do love my guns.

Owen

YES IT IS!!! but its also a pedrosoli forum...a browning hiwall forum...a winchester forum...a uberti forum...a ruger forum...and on n on n on. welcome to a great place to get tangled up with other fella's that have lost their minds in this blackpowder smut...its addictive as hell and i really dont think there is a cure for it and i aint lookin for one either.

you will have fun here and fit rite in with the group of ol farts like me that are just startin another teenage period in life. glad me mother wont have to endure this one...but my wife...[bless her heart]...will...LOL.

WELCOME SIR...8-)...:brokenima...;-)

Baja_Traveler
05-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Just because I own a Pedersolli it never stopped me from posting here...

Post up what you got!

That is a fine piece of wood there HighTime!!

http://www.pbase.com/baja_traveler/image/135088428.jpg

hightime
05-09-2012, 07:55 PM
I like the pistol grip. It looks acurate.

Owen

montana_charlie
05-09-2012, 09:41 PM
I like the pistol grip. It looks acurate.
You can add a pistol grip to your Quigley ...

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/montana_charlie/PistolGrip-1.jpg

CM

hightime
05-10-2012, 07:45 AM
I never seen that before . Did you make it yourself? Nice work.

Owen

Don McDowell
05-10-2012, 09:45 AM
You can get those from Treebone carving.

montana_charlie
05-10-2012, 01:54 PM
I never seen that before . Did you make it yourself? Nice work.
Yeah, I made it myself with wood from an old gunstock.
The 'classic' ones were black, and made of ebony.

This is the template I used to cut mine out, and it was sized and cropped using a picture downloaded from the Treebone site.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=88&pictureid=4647

Treebone also has pretty good instructions for mounting the piece.

Thanks for the compliment, but I have seen others which were much nicer.

CM

hightime
05-10-2012, 07:50 PM
I would guess you have been shooting about three hundred yards by your rear sight setting. I've got the 1,500 yard sight and I don't use more than the bottom 1/3 of it. It looks cool. I doubt I'll ever use the top 1/2.

Owen

montana_charlie
05-10-2012, 08:28 PM
I would guess you have been shooting about three hundred yards by your rear sight setting. I've got the 1,500 yard sight and I don't use more than the bottom 1/3 of it. It looks cool. I doubt I'll ever use the top 1/2.

Well, that picture was shot quite a while ago, and I honestly don't remember what ranges I was shooting back then. It's also a different sight than I have now. But my front sight, which remains unchanged, has a removable spirit level, so it's taller than some.

If you get serious about making yourself a pistol grip, I'll be glad to help you figure out anything that mystifies you.

CM