PDA

View Full Version : Had a doctor appointment today

nighthunter
04-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Today I had a doctor appointment so I took a one day vacation. Trying to double up on things I scheduled my truck for the 15,000 mile service. I sat in the waiting room for 2 1/2 hours. I went to stretch my legs a few times and on the last one I went to the service desk and asked what they did with their old WW's. One guy asked me why I was interested in them and wondered if I wanted them for fishing sinkers. I said "no" and told him the truth that I wanted them to make cast bullets. We BS'ed about shooting a little and then they told me they had a 55 gallon drum of WW's that I could have. I was sort of dumbfounded. It looks like it is going to take a few more trips to get the rest of them but I am willing to spend the few dollars in gas to get them. I guess this proves that it never hurts to ask.
Does anyone have an idea of how many pounds of WW are in a 55 gallon drum?
I fugure it has to be between 2000 and 3000 pounds. Some of these WW weigh 12 ounces each.
Nighthunter

45nut
04-12-2007, 05:19 PM
what a score.

Beau Cassidy
04-12-2007, 05:22 PM
About a year or two ago they had one where I buy scrap metal. They had one weighed at, I believe 1700 lbs.

qajaq59
04-12-2007, 05:22 PM
I can't believe you scored a ton and a half of WW lead for free, and you didn't immediately go somewhere and buy a lottery ticket?

Scrounger
04-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Solid lead figures out just under 100 pounds per gallon but of course this isn't solid, there's a lot of air space in that drum...But still, it could easily be 2000 pounds!

felix
04-12-2007, 06:22 PM
That would be a typical haul Sundog and I get for 50 bucks, and transport it 100 miles back to the MOAS, mother of all smelters. Looks like you need to use our smelter for a day. 4 hours to melt, 4 hours to pour, the perfectly mixed whole shootin' match as one batch. ... felix

pumpguy
04-12-2007, 06:54 PM
I am not sure how much is in there, but, if you send it to me I will tell you how much I got.:-) Good haul.

versifier
04-12-2007, 09:12 PM
There are two garages around here that give me theirs for free. One guy shoots, the other doesn't but likes me. (He has to deal with tourists all day, pumping their gas and wiping their.... well, you know how it is.) The one that shoots - my regular mechanic - gets regular boxes of handloads custom for his -06. The other likes a good joke, so I save them up and get him laughing. I saw him turn down an offer of $30 for a 5gallon bucket from an out-of-stater. I asked him why and he said, "He wants me to kiss his a** when he waves money in my face, you make me laugh off a bad day. I call that a bargain." Both know I don't walk so well, and neither will ever let me lift a bucket into the trunk. Every other garage charges top dollar, and most have people that drive a long way to buy theirs. I guess you know who I send 'em to when their cars need work, and I guess they do, too.

454PB
04-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Now you'll have to make another doctor appointment to check that hernia.

georgeld
04-13-2007, 12:03 AM
While at it get a blood test to check on your "lead content".
IF nothing else, you'll have a base number to compare it to once you're done melting and casting all that.

What do you have set up for the big melting job?
Check out the posts on the other thread about what some of us have set up.

Great find!

PatMarlin
04-13-2007, 12:49 AM
That was a great find. I bet I have enough on hand now to fill a 55gal drum.

I had some tire work done, and one guy charged me $20 for 2- 5gal buckets of WW. Next time I went in again recently, another employee gave me 2 buckets for free.. :mrgreen:

The best thing to do is run an ad in a classified paper. I had lead offers come out of the woodwork for 8 cents a pound, but I ran out of time and money to buy it all.

db2
04-13-2007, 01:49 PM
A couple of years ago I found a deal on two 55 gal drums about 3/4 full of lino type. Weight was about 1250 lbs including the drum and pallet. They would load a drum onto my truck, I would smelt it down as I unloaded the drum so I could get it out of my truck. 3 days of smelting and hand unloading, then go get the other drum, and repeat. Lots of work but worth it.

db2

jar-wv
04-13-2007, 03:54 PM
If a 5 gallon bucket full weighs in at about 100 lb or more, seems a 55 gallon drum would weigh about the same as 11 buckets, or 1,100 lbs or more

jar