PDA

View Full Version : beginner reloading 308

T888
05-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Hey guy, I need some help. I'm real excited about casting and reloading some 308 ammo. I have an FAL and am considering purchasing a Saiga in 308. I've been shooting some surplus ammo but I want to see if I can save even more on ammo by reloading.

I've been looking at these two kits but I'm not sure that I understand the differences between the two.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423081/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-anniversary-kit

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/149097/lee-challenger-single-stage-press-anniversary-kit

Also I'd like to get a lee mold that will cast a bullet similar the an M80 projectile but I don't know if there's a real big difference between 309,310,311 exc... or the dyes for that matter. why isn't it all just 308?

Anything else I'll need to get stated. Feel free to make a shopping list for me.

StratsMan
05-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Where to start....

Well, with one of those kits!!! And do a lot of reading on this forum; boolits are not all .308 because not all 30 cal rifles are .308... My Savage in Winchester 308 is much tighter (newer) than my old 1903 Springfield in 30-06. It measures closer to .310 at the muzzle (well worn)... So larger diameter boolits work better in my 30-06...

I have 2 beautiful molds for a boolit very similar to an M80... The Ideal 308329... I like just looking at those boolits, but they're difficult to get good accuracy; just one of the differences you'll find over jacketed bullets... There are many threads on this forum recommending boolits and loads for 308 and 30-06 (as well as many others)... Take the time to read and understand what's being discussed, so you'll know why people are using the recipes.

I gotta tell a true story. I witnessed a new reloader say it... This guy had been loading for one handgun caliber for a short time, and decided he wanted to try loading for rifle, too. So he got the dies for 308, bought some bullets and Large Rifle primers and loaded some. Notice I didn't say he bought powder, nor did he check a recipe. I swear, he told 3 of us that somebody told him to start with about 35 grains of powder. So he used the handgun powder!!!!... I don't recall what powder that was, but it must have been a slow handgun powder because he pulled the trigger on that load and the gun didn't blow up. He had a real hard time getting the bolt open, so he didn't shoot another one. Instead, he asked us what he should do different. Boy, did he get an earful....

Don't do that... We want to keep new casters coming to this forum... Whatever recipe you decide to use, do so carefully...

bbqncigars
05-05-2012, 09:27 PM
The main differences between the two kits are: the second one linked to is discontinued and had the full Autoprime setup; the first one has the Breech Lock system (but only 1 bushing) and has the press mounted priming system. A pity that the second one is no longer available, as it would be the one I would buy.

Wayne

bronte454
05-06-2012, 11:59 PM
I would first go and buy one of the lyman cast bullet handbooks if you are not familiar with the entire process and spend some time reading. It will cover a lot of the major information you need. Its a long learning curve to get there but its enjoyable an usually its not cheaper but you do get to shoot a lot more for the same money. Its an extremely addictive habit. I started casting when I was in kindergarten an walked out into grampas garage and said whatcha doing. Been doing it ever since . As the other guys have suggested read through the posts here , lots of valuable information here . Try and figure out where you want to be. In a few months by reading and that will help you make an educated decision on one of the many reloading set ups out there . An don't get stuck on the idea of one bullet design , because every firearm will have different tastes about what it wants to be fed. Another idea for you to make a good decision on a boolit design would be to purchase 50 or so boolits in several different designs an weights to try in your rifle to see what it likes best before you invest in one mold. There's a section here for I wants and for boolit trading . Just my two cents . Best of luck an welcome aboard.

T888
05-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Thank you for all your input guys.

this is where I'm so far I'm going with a Lee 160 Grain 1 Ogive Radius Gas Check in 309.

I've been looking at these two dye sets.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/538030/lee-pacesetter-3-die-set-308-winchester?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductImg

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/459745/lee-pacesetter-3-die-set-762x54mm-rimmed-russian-762x53mm-rimmed?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductImg

as for powder I want to us H4895.

Are there any hard rifle primer you can recommend.

Lead Fred
05-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Id not buy any of that Chinese made Lee junk.

Thats what it is.

You would be better off buying used gear from gun shows.

The scale is a bobbling nightmare, the powder drop will wear out within a year, and you will have to replace both.

Check into a Ranch Dog 30-30 mold. It does not have the shallow lube grooves, and packs eaiser.

I used that mold once, and its in a box somewhere.

You are going to try and learn reloading and casting at the same time. That will be a real steep learning curve. I didnt start casting until Id been reloading for 40 years.
I never thought there may not be bullets to buy someday.

C.F.Plinker
05-07-2012, 07:56 PM
What did your barrel slug at? You will need to know that in order to get the correct sized mold and sizer. Once you know this order the mold and sizer that will give you a boolit that is .001 to .002 greater than the groove to groove dimension of your barrel.

Larry Gibson
05-07-2012, 08:24 PM
You'll be FL sizing for thse rifles so I suggest a better press. I also suggest the standard (not the SB) RCBS .308W X- Dies for better case life and no triming.

If you are thinking of duplicating M80 performance with a cast bullet you are heading down the wrong path. I suggest you read BruceB's sticky in the military rifle forum on reloading for M1As as most of that will apply to loading for the FAL and Saiga in 7.62 NATO. Having done considerabal cast bullet loading for the FAL I also suggest the Lyman 311299 as your best bet for a cast bullet.

1st thing 1st is to get a copy of Lyman's #49 reloading manual or preferably the 3rd edition Cast Bullet Handbook (out of print so check in used book stores) and read, study, reread and study some more the information section in the front. There you will learn the basics and much more about reloading, casting and reloading cast bullets. Once you read and study the basics then you'll have a much better idea of what equipment to get.

Larry Gibson

Ben
05-07-2012, 09:09 PM

Thats what it is.

You would be better off buying used gear from gun shows.

The scale is a bobbling nightmare, the powder drop will wear out within a year, and you will have to replace both.

Check into a Ranch Dog 30-30 mold. It does not have the shallow lube grooves, and packs eaiser.

I used that mold once, and its in a box somewhere.

You are going to try and learn reloading and casting at the same time. That will be a real steep learning curve. I didnt start casting until Id been reloading for 40 years.
I never thought there may not be bullets to buy someday.

Are you aware that Ranch Dog's molds are made by Lee ?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-07-2012, 09:38 PM

If you're going to run Lee down, you need to at least have your facts straight. Lee equipment is made in the United States.

Beekeeper
05-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Gee now I am lost forever.
I am sure the Lee catalog states that all equipment sold by Lee is USA made.
Maybe they have chineese slave labor in their factory???

Been using Lee since the beginning and have found nothing wrong with it.
The Lee classic cast press is the strongest one I have seen on the market and I own several brands
I only wish they made a lubesizer.

beekeeper

Moonie
05-08-2012, 09:00 AM

With as many times as this has come up you would think people would learn. The myth of Lee equipment coming from China has been debunked many times. Lee equipment has always been made in the USA.

wiljen
05-08-2012, 09:01 AM
I had heard they were selling parts of the US to China, maybe Wisconsin was sold and they forget to tell us?

Ben
05-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Can you believe everything you read on the internet......nope, I don't think so.

felix
05-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Remember the first trip taken by the secretary of state as secretary of state? It was to guarantee the AIG real estate loan packages China bought with actual property liens represented throughout the entire USA. So, not just WI. ... felix

wiljen
05-08-2012, 09:54 AM
ok, I'm guilty too, but this needs to get back on track and away from politics before it has to get moved to the pit.

Sorry

AndyC
05-08-2012, 07:02 PM
For what it's worth, I shoot 150gr FMJ through my FAL - Winchester primers and 42.0gr IMR 4895.

I'd get used to loading FMJ first, seeing as you're a new reloader; slow down and take it step by step. While I can empathize with your enthusiasm, if you want to throw casting and moulds and lubes and alloys and whatnot into the mix as a newcomer to reloading - you're asking for trouble.

Start with FMJ and make your reloading mistakes gently - casting your own is a whole extra ball-game.

T888
05-10-2012, 01:40 PM
For what it's worth, I shoot 150gr FMJ through my FAL - Winchester primers and 42.0gr IMR 4895.

I'd get used to loading FMJ first, seeing as you're a new reloader; slow down and take it step by step. While I can empathize with your enthusiasm, if you want to throw casting and moulds and lubes and alloys and whatnot into the mix as a newcomer to reloading - you're asking for trouble.

Start with FMJ and make your reloading mistakes gently - casting your own is a whole extra ball-game.

Thank you sir for your tips they are greatly appreciated. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

10mmShooter
05-21-2012, 09:50 PM
T888

Check out the M14 forum, I know you have an FAL but there is a wealth of reloading info on the .308 on that forum. Reloading for our gas guns is a special animal. I use LC brass/168SMK/WLR/IMR4895 to replicate M-852 rounds. I love my M1a :popcorn:

http://m14forum.com/forums.php

as mentioned above I would definately get set up and profiecent loading jacketed rounds for the FAL before you add an additional variable of lead bullets.

Not to get to side tracked...if you plan to resize 1x fired mil brass for you FAL you will really be happy with a very strong press, Lee makes a Classic press which is strong enough or a Rock Chucker or I resize my Lake City brass on my Redding BB and Lyman makes a Crusher 2 which is also strong, I realize the kits are econmical. So chose your press wisely.

bbqncigars
05-21-2012, 11:25 PM
The Classic Cast will be plenty strong enough to resize military brass. If you don't buy 'processed' brass, you will have to deal with primer pocket crimps (what fun!). I have used the X die to feed my FALs and M1 with great results. You will have to trim the cases once initially with that die, but that's the only time. Ditto on starting with FMJ first. I buy mine from Graf & Son. Good luck. Oh, don't forget to buy a tin of Imperial Sizing Wax if you go the unprocessed brass route.

Wayne