PDA

View Full Version : lyman did me right

Lloyd Smale
04-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Id had mixed luck with them in the past but this time they did right. Both of my 20 casting pots crapped out. Before you badmouth that. They are about 10-15 years old and are used about 3 to 4 times a week. ONe had a bad thermostat and the other a bad heating coil. I was all set to buy a bigger magma but like having muliple pots for different alloys so im not switching all the time. Figured what the hell id cost 20 bucks to ship them back and if the repair bill was to big i could say screw it and leave them there. They both came back today. They had told me that it would be 50 bucks apiece including return shipping to fix them and a 100 bucks sounded better then 350 to me right now. They replaced about everything but the cases. New pots heating elements therostats valves and even the handles and cords. I thought it was a pretty good shake for 50 bucks apiece.

rockrat
04-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Glad you had a better experience with Lyman, than I did. Had an electronic scale that bit the dust right around the end of the warranty period(maybe days either way). They refused to fix it under warranty and wanted to charge me more to repair it , than it would cost me to buy a new one!!

Lloyd Smale
04-12-2007, 08:04 PM
dont feel left out i had a couple runins with them myself. I chewed out there phone person once real good when they charged my credit card for two decapping pins! i think it was like 2 bucks!!

carpetman
04-12-2007, 08:40 PM
$100---Just imagine the cost had it been RCBS. Lyman repaired a mold for me once and charged a fair price.

madcaster
04-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Lloyd,
I'm glad that it turned out fairly good for you.
What would the cost have been with RCBS?Shipment to them is all I'll wager!

hammerhead357
04-12-2007, 09:50 PM
I don't know about the cost of electrical repairs from RCBS but I once broke the body of my old dou-flow powder measure and called them. Guess what they shipped me a new one and at no charge to me even for shipping. I guess I need to try them out on lead furnace repairs. I have one that needs a new pot in it and thats my fault too. Wes

Hunter
04-12-2007, 10:04 PM
I had a good Lyman experience myself. I bought a 4500 sizer and it was missing a piston, the lady at customer service sent me one in about 3 days on my word.
I have had great luck with all my Lyman casting equipment and will continue to use Lyman.

Shepherd2
04-12-2007, 10:54 PM
I shipped Lyman an ancient 450 Lube Sizer that was in really bad shape to see if they could save it. I figured if it was beyond repair I'd get a 4500 with the heater. I got a letter from Lyman Monday saying they didn't have the parts. They offered to send it back or sell me a 4500 sizer to replace it. The price on the 4500 w/heater is $89.95 including shipping. Graf's dealer price is $109.19 plus shipping and Midway dealer is a bit more. I thought that was a really good deal so I mailed them a check the next day. I've got a 45 and another 450 and I really wanted the 4500 anyway. I think Lyman did right by me too.

Lloyd Smale
04-13-2007, 06:40 AM
I have to agree that if they would have been rcbs it wouldnt have probably costed me a dime. But i still have to say that for the work they did it was a bargin. I basically got two new pots for a hundred bucks. Beats the hell out of 220 for one new lyman or almost 300 for an rcbs or magma. These pots have been good pots for me. I dont know how many bullets ive casted with them but its well over a million.

NVcurmudgeon
04-13-2007, 10:05 AM
It must make a big difference which individual at Lyman answers the phone or opens the letter. Many years ago I sent a note inquiring the price of a new thermostat for my Lyman electric furnace and received one by return mail, no charge. Then a few years ago I sent in a Lyman 450 that leaked lube from every pore and got back no written reply, just a free brand new 450. (The defective 450 was one that a friend had given me because he was tired of the leaks.)

Shepherd2
04-13-2007, 10:27 AM
I didn't get a free 450 to replace the ratty one I sent in but Lyman's offer saved me $30+ on what I would have paid Graf's or Midway at dealer cost. I was going to buy a 4500 anyway and I saved a good bit so I'm still happy.

ihmsakiwi
04-30-2007, 06:18 AM
Id had mixed luck with them in the past but this time they did right. Both of my 20 casting pots crapped out. Before you badmouth that. They are about 10-15 years old and are used about 3 to 4 times a week. ONe had a bad thermostat and the other a bad heating coil. I was all set to buy a bigger magma but like having muliple pots for different alloys so im not switching all the time. Figured what the hell id cost 20 bucks to ship them back and if the repair bill was to big i could say screw it and leave them there. They both came back today. They had told me that it would be 50 bucks apiece including return shipping to fix them and a 100 bucks sounded better then 350 to me right now. They replaced about everything but the cases. New pots heating elements therostats valves and even the handles and cords. I thought it was a pretty good shake for 50 bucks apiece.

I also rate Lyman. They certainly went way beyond the call of duty with my old 450 sizer. I ordered from down here in Gods Own (New Zealand) a couple of the handle / leverage parts and they instead sent me a complete lever, a plunger assemblyand other parts they suggested were probably in need of replacement given my description of the unit. My daughter (12) who shoots .22 silhuette pistol wears the free Lyman cloth patch with pride. Peter.