PDA

View Full Version : Max load for 38spl

Joel Chavez
04-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Do any of you know what the max. load for a 38spl is using Bullseye and 158gr swc cast (ww lead). I'm using a S&W M64 with a 3" tube. Thanks for any info in advance. :castmine:

slughammer
04-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Do any of you know what the max. load for a 38spl is using Bullseye and 158gr swc cast (ww lead). I'm using a S&W M64 with a 3" tube. Thanks for any info in advance. :castmine:

Well, that would depend on the boolit, the OAL, the case capacity, primer, the specifics of the gun and a host of others.

Bullseye is an alliant powder. http://www.alliantpowder.com/

Lyman is also a good detailed source if you are using one of their molds.

Hunter
04-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Not to insult anyone but when reloading approach max charge slowly and carefully. What may be safe in one firearm may not be safe in another.
I always start at the bottom and work my way up slowly always watching for pressure signs. If you do see pressure signs you have been out of the safe pressure margin a while.
I would check which ever manual that coincides with the bullet you are loading.

Joel Chavez
04-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Thanks guys. My goal was to duplicate the famous FBI load using BE. I'll heed what you've said and proceed with extreme caution. Again, thanks and hope you folks have a great weekend filled with much lead. :-D

Larry Gibson
04-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks guys. My goal was to duplicate the famous FBI load using BE. I'll heed what you've said and proceed with extreme caution. Again, thanks and hope you folks have a great weekend filled with much lead. :-D

You will pressure out using Bullseye before you duplicate the FBI load. The standard .38 factory 150-158 lead load can be duplicated with 4 gr Bullseye. To duplicate the Winchester/Federal FBI load I used a soft lead cast 358156 or a 358477 HP'd with a Forster tool over 5 gr of Unique. This duplicated the 925 fps that we got from our service 4" M15s. Close to the advertised 1000 fps could be got with a 6" barrel. You will get less with the 3" barrel of course. As recommended, work up to that load. I suggest chronographing the FBI load in your M64 then working up with Unique under your bullet until you match that velocity. That's what I did and still do.

Larry Gibson

KCSO
04-13-2007, 11:54 AM
What MAX in 38 special. The first 38 special loads were 13000 to 15000 max pressure. 38-44 loads went to roughly 20000 and modern plus p's run 18 to 24,000. Max for a Model 36 snubbie is going to be a whale of a lot different than Max for a Model 28 highway patrolman and then IF you load those HP 38's to MAX you have to worry if they find their way into you snubbie or your buddy's spanish 38. 3.8 grains is the factory duplication load for a 158 gr. round nose according to my old Hornady manual and that shold be as good a stopping point as any. If you need more oomph use a 357 and load accordingly. I have hanging on my wall a Charter 38 snubbie that was fired with a MAX load of 2400, unfortunatly that MX laod was a 357 substitute load for a model 28 and it blew the little charter to smithereens. The owners comment of oops wrong ammo did little to stauch the bleeding of the fellow who got part of the cylinder across the leg.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant but MAX loads are a pet peeve of mine. Too many folks but a 38/45 colt/45 acp and what they really want is a 357/454/44mag. If you don't feel a 38 will do the job you don't need more load you need more gun. An extra 50-100 fps isn't going to be noticed by the guy you shoot IF you put the bullet right and if you don't a 44 mag wouldn't have done any better.

Joel Chavez
04-13-2007, 12:54 PM
KCSO, I'm with you on that. I'm simply trying to learn as much as I can from other's experiences and try not to duplicate mistakes made in the past. By the way, my wife shoots the M64 and is very, very good with it. She can easily print a 1" group at 8yds off hand. What I'd like to do is dup. the FBI load with my cast 158gr swc, but down load the charge and have her practice with them. I truely appreciate all of your insight on the matter. Hope you have a great weekend. Don't forget to practice, practice and practice some more.:castmine:

KCSO
04-13-2007, 02:32 PM
158 gr hollowpoint bullet (Thompson gc) 5.3 of Unique. This will hit on the nose with the factory Nyclads. The GC bullet prevents leading. 5.3 in from Max to .2 over max depending on the book you use, but this is what we reloaded for practice to match the Federal FBI loads. This is also my personal load in my Colt Army Special. This is not dangerous in a snubbie but it is all I want to shoot. I was never able to get decent accuracy from BE in a load that would duplicate the velocity.

Joel Chavez
04-15-2007, 12:24 AM
KCSO, do you remember what velocity you were getting with your reloads? I'd like to compare with what I get. Granted, I'm shooting a 3" gun and you might be shooting something else. Thanks for your insight. Hope its warm and dry where you are. Later.:castmine: