PDA

View Full Version : primer trays to hold 22 cal jackets

BT Sniper
05-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Yep large riffle/pistol primer plastic trays are the perfect diameter to hold our 22 cal jackets. The trays that the primers are packed in at the factory ie. CCI, not the round trays you poor the primers on to.

Here is the challenge I am setting out to conquer,I have seen bullet trays cut from clear plexy glass looking material that cost over $100. What you did was simply pore your jackets over them and they fell into the pockets, then you could simply poor the cores over it and magically the cores would all fall into the jacket. This was done with atleast three layers of the clear plexy glass and worked very well. When done you remove the top two layers and you have 100 jackets with cores in place ready to swage.

I tried this idea with the primer trays and I think with a little bit of imagination I'll be able to get it to work. Drilling the plastic is easy, simply follow the pattern allready there. What I would recomend to anyone that tries it is to not drill "every" hole but every-other hole to make the jackets easier to pick up.

The entire reason for such a contraption it to speed up production of course! I have found that placing the cores in the jackets by hand one at a time might be a bit slower then other possibilities. If we could magically poor the jackets and then the cores into such a contraption and have everything ready to swag in a matter of seconds it might save us a bit of time.

I haven't profected this idea yet and challenge anyone to figure it out for me :) At least the material is cheap so don't throw out those primer trays yet.

BT

BT Sniper
05-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Found what I was looking for! You guys got to see this! Not a practical price for anyone that is just a weekend hobby swager but for production I could see these being VERY VERY VERY usfull!

Anyone got any ideas?

Check out the link. Heck check out the sight too. It has a lot of info on high end swaging, like match riffle bullets and thousand dollar dies and such, call it addvanced swaging I guess.

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2421&page=2

Longwood
05-05-2012, 12:16 PM
I see that I should save the inserts I take out of my .17HMR boxes.
I am saving my brass for one of you guys.