PDA

View Full Version : 40S&W loaded to 1.25 vs. a 10MM?

BT Sniper
05-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Ok I got a question for those of you in the know, what is the difference between loading a 40 S&W to 1.25" vs a 10mm that is loaded to teh same length of 1.25"?

I guess it is common to run pistols of same size for both callibers. I thought all 40S&W had to be loaded to the 1.135 max, all though others have mentioned loading long. I just found out not long ago that my EAA Witness pistol is of the older version that they called a "small" frame in which the max OAL length of the loaded round the mag would relibalby function was 1.135. Well I just picked up a new EAA Limited Elite 40 S&W and it runs mags that allow 1.250 OAL length, same as 10mm. Matter of fact 2 mags are marked 10MM and one is marked 40S&W. I know the ins and outs of this pistol I just want to point out both mags are same internial space available.

So back to my orginal question, isn't a 40 S&W loaded long to 1.25 a ..... 10MM basicaly? Same powder capacity? or is web of 10mm brass thicker to handel more PSI?

It will be nice to load my long 185 grain bullets to the 1.25 length and I recomend everyone load the 40 S&W as long as the mags will allow for proper function of the gun. I'm not saying load to 10mm levels but certaily extra space in the powder section of the loaded round will be a good thing.

Thanks

BT

DDriller
05-05-2012, 01:26 AM
Would depend on length of your swaged bullet. Using factory 180 grain bullets (0.610 long) if you seat long in the 40 S&W the bullet would only be in the case 0.180 inches.

Rangefinder
05-05-2012, 02:13 AM
Honestly, I load handgun pretty similar to how I work up a rifle--as close to the lands as I can while still fitting the mag. I worked some up last fall for my .40 using swaged from a set of your own dies (an incredible PIF from one of our fellow members) with 192gr HP's that run beautifully at 1.145, which is pretty darn long for a .40S&W. BUT, the mag had just enough room to squeak in there and feed, and the ogive was long enough to allow it without resting on the lands. that OAL with that bullet runs some of the tightest groups I've ever seen come from that pistol.

BT Sniper
05-05-2012, 02:34 AM
Cool! Nice find with the PIF. Glad to hear they are shooting tight! Let me know if you ever need anything for them.

Yep I got a long enough bullet. At 189 grains and .720 in length, which is longer then a recomend loading to spec 40 S&W length but my mags will fit them loaded at 1.250.

I'm just curious with the increased space in the case for powder is it possible or even advisable to load to 10mm levels with teh 40S&W brass or is 10mm brass thicker aka. stronger to handle the pressure? Interesting note, with W-231 powder Sierra lists less of a max charge with a 190 grain bullet in the 10MM then the 40S&W if I remember correctly????

BT

Rangefinder
05-05-2012, 02:45 AM
Honestly, I'd have to sit down with some numbers to answer adequately on your real question. BUT, I can share what I've done so far without really thinking about it. I got some 175gr Notched HP's from Grumpa recently (your work also, I believe) that I'm loading with longshot and knocking on the door of 1200fps with--pretty flipping scary for a 175gr in a .40s&w... If I'm not mistaken, that's pretty close to 10mm performances anyway. BTW, those are seating currently at 1.130 OAL. I'm in love with that bullet now. So one of these days when I have my darn change jar filled enough I'm gonna be chasing you down for the dies and a notch die. You've created a monster---just so you know... ;)

BT Sniper
05-05-2012, 03:18 AM
OH MY! I recall I read shooters getting more FPS with longshot. I may also be under the impression that brass jacketed bullets might shoot a few more FPS faster then regular commercial jackets. but I can prove that with pistol bullets, simply becasue I haven't shot any commercial jackets in my pistols. :) I do notice it a bit with my riffle bullets.

So you must have the my "CH" improved version 40 cal one step? Grumpa has my "BTSniper" version 40 cal die with the round shorter nose. Any difference you are noticing between the two bullets? How is the accuracy of the 175 grain BTSniper version for you?

Created a monster, Yep! I've been known to hook a few shooters on the capibilities of these bullets. Come on guys, everyone is doing it, just a taste, or a few bullets to shoot........ :)

Wait.....I just figured it out! The PIF was for the bullets made in the die, not for the die it's self. I thought WOW! Somone would have been verry generious to PIF the die it's self.

COOL! Anytime your ready these bullets are incredibly easy to make and you have seen how weel they shoot. Keep us posted. I'll be doing some more testing myself. I got my new pistol with three 20 round clips! Speed loaders too! I also got 4 additional clips ready to be moded to 20 rounds. I'm going to need to make more bullets! :)

Good shooting!

BT

Rangefinder
05-05-2012, 03:48 AM
Yup, you got it right. I got a PIF BULLETS... if it were the dies, I'd STILL be singing and dancing--I want 'em bad. They were an earlier version with a little longer tapered nose. Yes, Grumpa's are a bit more rounded. They are, without any exaggeration, simply beautiful. And OMG, they perform!

Longshot is a really interesting powder. I originally got a pound of it to work up a load for a friend's 5.7, and it just wasn't cooperating. The thing I kept hearing was higher velocities with lower pressures--which was ideal for the 5.7 since it was such a sensitive cartridge (in theory). After it didn't get wat I wanted there, I put it to work with the .40 just to use up the pound I had and found my standard 950fps load could push into the high 1100's without losing touch with reality. So with it, I can realistically push the .40S&W using your swaged bullets to limits that make a 10mm a little nervous. Hodgdon's own load data on 10mm and 180gr jacketed using everything BUT longshot is in the neighborhood of 1000fps to 1150 with an OAL of 1.260 while I'm getting as much from the .40 at .130 shorter and pressure data listing it equal to my 950fps loads. Crazy stuff.