PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Gun Smith in the house?

JeffHolt
05-04-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm wondering if any one here specializes in Mosin Nagants. I need a barrel turned down. I bought a Czech machine gun barrel that is too thick and heavy to do a Mosin Mod as is.
Anyways, I'm planning on using a round 91/30 receiver and was thinking on adding a muzzle brake also. The barrel can be turned to a bull barrel configuration and I will be using a Richard's microfit stock. (Thumbhole tactical, I think.)

I figured getting the barrel turned down and the receiver fitted and headspaced would be a good place to start. At least then I could order a milled out stock. Any helpful input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jeff

GOPHER SLAYER
05-05-2012, 03:29 PM
I know of two attempts at reccutting the chambers of machine gun barells and they both failed, evan after repeated heating and cooling. They were both American .30 cal and the metal was so tough that nothing would cut it. Czech machine gun barells may be of softer metal, but I dought it, since they have to fire long bursts on full auto.

ratboy
05-05-2012, 05:11 PM
i would think it would also matter if the barrel you bought was new or used. I.E. how many times it has been heat cycled to begin with. i would expect a used barrel to be tough like the Gopher Slayer said. a new one may be easier to machine

JeffHolt
05-10-2012, 11:54 AM
The barrel is new and unfired.
There are youtube mods out there that have had these barrels turned down and even fluted.

badge176
05-12-2012, 08:32 AM
I am working on the same sort of build, why? I'm not quite sure, but I seemed like a dandy idea at the start...

I'm ending up having to graft a blank forend onto a Boyd's Thumbhole Sporter (Pepper Laminated) to accomodate the diameter of the turned-down barrrel! A machinist pal is gradually turning the beast down to match the receiver ring diameter and I haven't settled on a final length (it'll be heavy:shock:, so short might not be bad! stiffer?). I'm going with a PSOP side mount bolted to the receiver ring to allow use of my PSL scopes and the muzzle will be getting threaded (24mm) to accept a modified (exit opened up) AK74 brake ('cause I had a few laying around and they are effective).

Overall, a silk purse from a sow's ear but a project is just meant to be that:veryconfu, and it's still cheaper than restoring an old car!

JeffHolt
05-12-2012, 09:17 AM
I found a couple of willing smitty's to do the turning.
I was looking at the Boyd's also. I think I'll use their stock on a more scaled down build using the 91/30 barrel.
I noticed on the Boyd's website you cant have a barrel thickness of 0.850 or larger to use their fore-ends.
It will more likely be a Richard$ Micro Tactical $tock for the UK-59 barrel.

I will probably use an Izzy '43 receiver that I can (hopefully) polish out the crude tool marks.
I ordered a 30's something Izzy from Classic Firearms last week but I may keep that for the Boyd's stock mod.
GL with your build.
Jeff