PDA

View Full Version : C.o.a.l.

DeanWinchester
05-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Ever wonder why they bother with cartridge over all lengths for revolver cartridges? What good is the information? Is it just there for the copper condom only sheep that reload the 'follow the lemmings' loads?
Case in point, my manual states a COAL of 1.600 for .45 Colt. I got a new mold the other day, well new to me. Its a 255g Keith style RCBS two cavity. It's pretty old, probably 20 years or better. Looks like new and cast a gorgeous boolit.
6g of Titegroup in a starline case, seated to the crimping grove gives 1.660. For any new boolit I never bother to look at the length in my manual, I ease the first boolit into the case until I reach a point at which the case can get a good purchase one the crimp grove, then set my crimp and measure. I record that length and let the testing and load work begin.

Just seems silly as I can seat a boolit w/ a COAL as long as 1.700+ in my Ruger.

They sure are purty!!!
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/Reloadingfool/photo-10.jpg

HangFireW8
05-04-2012, 08:27 PM
If you load to SAAMI COAL your ammo will fit in most any factory cylinder. Beyond that, if it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter.

DeanWinchester
05-04-2012, 08:50 PM
If you load to SAAMI COAL your ammo will fit in most any factory cylinder. Beyond that, if it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter.

So that's like saying: Reloading for an unknown gun. That's madness:D

frnkeore
05-05-2012, 01:47 AM
The COAL is there for a reason. In all straight sided cartridges, the OAL actually translates to case capacity. The loading data with it's velocity and pressure is in direct porportion to the OAL. If you load the same weight and lenght bullet at a shorter OAL, it will ALWAYS increase pressure and velocity. A extreme example is using a wad cutter the same weight as a SWC and loading it with a SWC power charge but, seating it to the standard WC length.

Your 1.660 OAL will have less pressure AND less velocity than if loaded to 1.600.

A better way of giving bullet seating specs is to use the pre 60's spec of bullet depth.

If you have a strong relover like the BH or RH, it not as critical but, you have to be very careful with the old Colts and the higher end loading of the S&W's.

That 1.660 is just right for my Model 25 in 45 Colt but, I can load out to 1.81 with my RedHawk.

Frank

GabbyM
05-05-2012, 04:08 AM
In a small case like 9x19mm NATO a C.O.L. deviation of 1/32" can be the difference between a good laod and one that will flaten the head stamps or even crack things open.

DeanWinchester
05-05-2012, 07:29 AM
In a small case like 9x19mm NATO a C.O.L. deviation of 1/32" can be the difference between a good laod and one that will flaten the head stamps or even crack things open.

Well, for 9mm it makes sense too. Too much length and it won't cycle. I was moreso thinking revolvers.

If I loaded my boolit to max length, I would be crimping into air:razz: