PDA

View Full Version : Links to old swaging articles

garandsrus
05-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Hi, I am looking for the article "Precision Swages For Precision Bullets" in Rifle, Vol 1, #6. The issue date is Nov-Dec 1969. Here is a .pdf with a partial magazine, showing the cover and table of contents:
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/ri6partial.pdf
If anyone can send me a copy, I would appreciate it. Send me a PM and I will provide my email or real address.
Thanks,
John

--------------------------------------------------
links from Post 27

Rifle_Mag_Number_6_swaging_article.pdf (http://www.sebagosales.com/swagedbullets/Rifle_Mag_Number_6_swaging_article.pdf)

Rifle_Mag_Number_22_swaging_article.pdf (http://www.sebagosales.com/swagedbullets/Rifle_Mag_Number_22_swaging_article.pdf)

Rifle_Mag_Number_33_swaging_article.pdf (http://www.sebagosales.com/swagedbullets/Rifle_Mag_Number_33_swaging_article.pdf)

Rifle_Mag _Number_62_Swaging_Article.pdf (http://www.sebagosales.com/swagedbullets/Rifle_Mag _Number_62_Swaging_Article.pdf)

January 1985 Precision Shooting magazine (http://www.sebagosales.com/swagedbullets/hallgrimson_article_precision_shooting_011985.pdf)

---------------------------------------
link from post 50

http://benchrest.com/printthread.php?t=69927&pp=15&page=13

garandsrus
05-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Anybody?

Thanks,
John

Utah Shooter
05-13-2012, 08:37 PM
I would be interested in reading it as well.

CENTEX BILL
05-13-2012, 09:55 PM
OK Garand and Utah. I think I have this issue. Give me a couple of days to dig arround in my garage and see if I can find it. I remember the cover but have moved several times since 1969 plus a DOMESTIC REORGANIZATION plus a remarriage. Will PM you if I can find it.

Centex Bill

Utah Shooter
05-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Sounds good to me. Thank you for the trouble!

Clyde
05-17-2012, 11:12 AM
I also have all the issues, will be glad to make a copy of the article. Let me know.

Clyde

john hayslip
05-17-2012, 11:52 AM
I have it where I can find it. Send me a PM with address and what it is and I'll send it.

midnight
05-17-2012, 03:49 PM
I have it also. A PM to me will get you a copy.

Bob

DukeInFlorida
05-17-2012, 05:11 PM
HOLY MOLEY!

Bunch of gun magazine horders.....

Can you post the pdf file somewhere, and then just give us all a link to it? I'd also like to read it.

MIBULLETS
05-17-2012, 05:19 PM
I would like to read it also.

Reg
05-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Me to.

ratboy
05-17-2012, 08:39 PM
me three

runfiverun
05-17-2012, 09:35 PM
i'd bet wiljen could get a pdf [or a copy set upin cast pics] if there was enough interest.
vote one more for me.

midnight
05-18-2012, 08:14 PM
I have it in a pdf file in my computer and have emailed it to several people. I don't know if I would like to post a link to my computer though even if I could figure out how to do it. It was trial & error just to email it but I can do that now. With no computer savvy person to help I just fumble around until I figure it out. It would help if computers were more intuative but I guess my thought processes are different from those who design these things.

Bob

MIBULLETS
05-18-2012, 08:43 PM
midnight,

just sent you a PM

Utah Shooter
05-18-2012, 08:45 PM
I have still not gotten it yet if you not mind re sending?

garandsrus
05-18-2012, 09:07 PM
I tried to attach the .pdf file that was sent to me but I think it is too large for the site.

John

DukeInFlorida
05-18-2012, 11:09 PM
If you had a place to upload it to on the internet, you could link to that. I have some server space available, and would be happy to host the file. If you want, send it to me, and I will post a link for hosting it:

dukeinmaine at sebagosales dot com << you know what to do to get it to me....

midnight
05-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks Duke. I emailed the file. Others have gotten theirs so you should get it too.

Bob

Utah Shooter
05-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Still have not recieved mine. joe.century21@yahoo.com if you please?

midnight
05-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Sorry I missed you Utah. You should have it in your email by now, I just sent it.

Bob

DukeInFlorida
05-25-2012, 07:50 AM
A little later this morning, I will upload the file, and create a link to it, so that anyone could get the article.

Lizard333
05-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks Duke. I can't wait. ;)

garandsrus
05-25-2012, 11:31 PM
Got the article! Thanks....

John

Reg
05-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Nothing here yet.
Thanks

Try lemonsj@wildblue.net

ratboy
05-26-2012, 11:12 AM
A little later this morning, I will upload the file, and create a link to it, so that anyone could get the article.

:popcorn:

:)

DukeInFlorida
05-31-2012, 04:04 PM
UPDATE, just received another file for sharing.
--------------------------------------------

It has taken me a while to get the pdf files uploaded and linked. Please accept my apology.

Anyone looking for these vintage swaging articles can now download them directly.

Here are the now SIX:

Rifle_Mag_Number_6_swaging_article.pdf (http://www.sebagosales.com/swagedbullets/Rifle_Mag_Number_6_swaging_article.pdf)

Handloader _Number_7_Swaging_Article.pdf (http://www.sebagosales.com/swagedbullets/Handloader _Number_7_Swaging_Article.pdf)

Rifle_Mag_Number_22_swaging_article.pdf (http://www.sebagosales.com/swagedbullets/Rifle_Mag_Number_22_swaging_article.pdf)

Rifle_Mag_Number_33_swaging_article.pdf (http://www.sebagosales.com/swagedbullets/Rifle_Mag_Number_33_swaging_article.pdf)

Rifle_Mag _Number_62_Swaging_Article.pdf (http://www.sebagosales.com/swagedbullets/Rifle_Mag _Number_62_Swaging_Article.pdf)

January 1985 Precision Shooting magazine (http://www.sebagosales.com/swagedbullets/hallgrimson_article_precision_shooting_011985.pdf)

Lizard333
05-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks Duke. I appreciate the effort. Nice read.

hardcase54
06-01-2012, 05:41 AM
Thanks you , sir.

deltaenterprizes
06-03-2012, 06:30 AM
I would like a copy also, paper or electronic, please.

Lizard333
06-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Post 27. He gave you links to PDF files.

Reg
06-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Both articles were excellent. Lots of good info. Thanks !!

DukeInFlorida
06-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Update. An additional swaging article from edition #33.
Link posted in #27.

Got this made a sticky.

midnight
06-11-2012, 09:46 PM
There is now a 4th swaging article in post #27 thanks to Duke. It's from Rifle Mag #62.

Bob

DukeInFlorida
06-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Happy to host it.

Good info in all of the articles. It's already made my own swaged bullets even better.

The best tip of the lot was the fussiness of making the swaged cores. I now understand why, and am making much better cores than I ever did.

ratboy
06-12-2012, 10:37 PM
there will be a pop quiz later. get studying.

[smilie=l:

MathGuy
08-10-2012, 05:06 PM
I can't believe I've been looking for almost a week on the internet for just the
first article & it's been here all the time!

Thanks Duke for posting all four articles

M-Tecs
08-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! Great read.

DukeInFlorida
08-10-2012, 10:09 PM
you're all welcome.

Some great tips in there for making good bullets even better.

MathGuy
08-14-2012, 08:07 PM
DukeInMaine

Don't mean to derail this thread, but you mentioned that your swaging was getting
better results. Did you machine the dies you are using and the articles helped make better
dies or the articles helped in the process of making cores?

DukeInFlorida
08-14-2012, 11:57 PM
I take absolutely NO credit whatsoever for making the dies. I got all of my die sets from BT Sniper, and they are all expertly made. All of the development time that Brian put into these dies was well spent. His dies are among the best in the business.

I have also invested in a few "accessories" for the swaging process.

Automatic Ejection System by BT Sniper
Custom ram from ChuckBuster (Kevin)
Custom extrusion dies from LaFaun and ChuckBuster
Universal Crimp Die by BT Sniper

In the course of swaging various configurations, I have gone through a lot of learning what to do and how to do it better.

The articles have gems of information which have helped me do the swaging better. It's mostly about technique.

For example, for more precise weights, swage the cores twice. The net weights will be more accurate. That was a big revelation for me.

Similarly, the forming of the bullets in the point form die can be improved with proper technique. A lot of those techniques are covered in the articles.

So, read through the articles a couple of times. When you get started with swaging, it will all make more sense, and your bullets will be better than they would be otherwise.

Ellisfamilyokc
12-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Thank you for posting these articles! Swaging is at the top of my list for adding to my skills in 2013!

midnight
10-08-2013, 12:44 PM
I have found a number of swaging articles in my old Rifle magazines for Duke to post but now I am looking for an article in Precision Shooting magazine. In the late 80s there was an article written by Jonah Hallgrimson about Bieler & Astles dies. I would like to read it. If anyone here has or can find it, PM me and we can get it to Duke so he can post it in this thread.

Bob

DukeInFlorida
10-09-2013, 04:04 PM
I'd be happy to post it if anyone can get it to me. I haven't packed the scanner yet.

ricklaut
01-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Bump for those who haven't yet read the links in post #27. Good stuff - it's helping me make better bullets :).

DukeInFlorida
01-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Not actually any need to "bump" this thread. It was made a "sticky" and should remain at the top of the forum section for swaging....

I agree, it also helped me make better swaged bullets. One of the biggest helps to me was the suggestion to create the cores in two steps. I have found that they weight variation is much less (final result) when I do them in two stages.

Thanks for reminding folks that the thread exists.

midnight
02-18-2014, 09:31 AM
Back last Oct I asked if someone could find an article on B&A dies in a late 80s Precision Shooting mag. I have all 12 1989 issues coming to me. If the article is in there I'll send it to Duke. Otherwise I'll keep looking

Bob

Sgt Petro
03-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Thanks for this Duke

midnight
03-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Still looking for the Hallgrimson article on B&A dies in a Precision Shooting magazine from the late 80s. I went through 1989 & 1990 issues with no luck. If any of you can find it we'll get it to Duke and add it to our list.

Bob

DukeInFlorida
03-31-2014, 08:11 AM
I found this reference, and I think it's the article that you are looking for.
http://benchrest.com/printthread.php?t=69927&pp=15&page=13

January 1985.

Might help with finding a copy.

Still looking for the Hallgrimson article on B&A dies in a Precision Shooting magazine from the late 80s. I went through 1989 & 1990 issues with no luck. If any of you can find it we'll get it to Duke and add it to our list.

Bob

midnight
04-02-2014, 06:41 AM
That's the one! Thanks Duke.

Bob

DukeInFlorida
10-31-2014, 07:14 PM
I'm still looking for a copy.

Brian, or whomever is a moderator for this area, could you kindly make this thread a sticky!

It will assist with finding it the next time. Took me an hour this time.

DukeInFlorida
09-30-2015, 06:07 PM
No, I didn't machine the dies I have. The dies were ALL produced by BT Sniper, and I am very VERY happy with all of them. ONLY MY TECHNIQUES in using the dies have changed (improved), and that's what's getting me the better results.

The articles helped with processing the cores. I do the cores in TWO pushes of the press now, and that gives me tighter weights on the cores than what I got with one push on the press.

DukeInMaine

Don't mean to derail this thread, but you mentioned that your swaging was getting
better results. Did you machine the dies you are using and the articles helped make better

DukeInFlorida
09-30-2015, 06:08 PM
BRIAN!!

You are the man.... we need to make this thread a sticky. It got buried in the pile, and took me some creative Googling (now a verb!) to find it.

Please make this one a sticky....

midnight
10-20-2015, 03:16 PM
I finally found a copy of the January 1985 Precision Shooting magazine and bought it today. I may receive it next weekend or early next week. I can then scan it and e-mail it to Duke for posting. I hope a couple of years of searching was worth it.

Bob

DukeInFlorida
10-20-2015, 08:36 PM
Great! I can't wait.

Have learned a LOT from reading those old articles.

What's old is new again!

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-20-2015, 11:00 PM
BRIAN!!

You are the man.... we need to make this thread a sticky. It got buried in the pile, and took me some creative Googling (now a verb!) to find it.

Please make this one a sticky....
Stuck !

hint for future searching:
If you have posted in the thread, using the advanced search using your user ID and selecting just the sub-forum, ie "swaging" in this case, you'll have lots less of a list to scroll through.

DukeInFlorida
10-22-2015, 02:15 AM
Thanks, man. You da bestest!

midnight
10-30-2015, 07:40 AM
I have the Jan 1985 issue of Precision Shooting and the Jonas Hallgrimson article is in it. As soon as I get my new computer working and learn how to use it I will scan it in and send it to Duke for posting here. The new computer has Windows 10 and after one day of trying to learn it, it shut down completely. Got to bring it in and find out what's wrong. Pretty busy right now. Put in a new tub & shower. I'm down to the painting now so it should be done this weekend but the divers are down and I've got some duck hunting to do next week.

Bob

DukeInFlorida
11-02-2015, 12:12 PM
If you want to send the magazine, I can scan it, and return it to you.
I also use eindoze 10, but eithout sny issues. Have done some scanning with won 10, and thats slso fine. If you wantwto speed up process, send it to me, and ill do it sll. ant

I have the Jan 1985 issue of Precision Shooting and the Jonas Hallgrimson article is in it. As soon as I get my new computer working and learn how to use it I will scan it in and send it to Duke for posting here. The new computer has Windows 10 and after one day of trying to learn it, it shut down completely. Got to bring it in and find out what's wrong. Pretty busy right now. Put in a new tub & shower. I'm down to the painting now so it should be done this weekend but the divers are down and I've got some duck hunting to do next week.

Bob

midnight
11-02-2015, 01:22 PM
I don't know if we can do it or not but it would be better for us all if we could change the title of this thread so everyone would know it contains many old swaging articles with much valuable and interesting information. Any bright ideas?

I am sending the magazine to Duke so he can scan and post it here.

Bob

DukeInFlorida
11-20-2015, 01:40 PM
Bob, My apologies..... the magazine apparently came a few weeks ago, and while "cleaning" for the arrival of my best friend and his wife for a week's vacation, I inadvertently stacked it under a pile of other paperwork. I just found it, and am scanning it, and will have it available in a few minutes.

However, the envelope with your name and address were tossed during the cleaning. There was a small note that you tucked inside with the magazine, but that only has "Bob"...

So, please PM me your shipping details, so that I can send your original copy of the magazine back to you!

And, thanks for your patience.

I don't know if we can do it or not but it would be better for us all if we could change the title of this thread so everyone would know it contains many old swaging articles with much valuable and interesting information. Any bright ideas?

Bob

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-20-2015, 02:44 PM

Bob
I can do that, I also edited the OP, to include the links throughout this thread.

DukeInFlorida
08-10-2016, 05:33 PM
No, I did not make my own swage dies. I invested with a good quality tool maker, our own BT Sniper. I got in early, when most of his offerings were his early prototypes. They have served me well.

The afore mentioned articles have made me a better swager. Between prepping the cores, and other steps, I am making some amazing swaged bullets.

DukeInMaine

DukeInFlorida
08-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Just updated the list of articles with a new pdf file of Edition #7, which shows some swaged bullets.

Stevenlgts
01-14-2019, 01:41 PM
Thank you for posting these articles!

Traffer
01-14-2019, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the thread! I am surprised to see that my "contraption" for swaging 22lr is basically the same as the swaging dies in the pictures in these posts. I probably should have checked that out before re-inventing the process.