PDA

View Full Version : Black Powder Measure

DonMountain
05-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Of all the powder measures on the market now for measuring black powder, does anyone have some recommendations as to price/convenience/quality/ease of use/features/? I have been measuring black powder for my 45-70 and 43 Spanish loads using a dipper and trickler into the scale pan for years and now I am looking at purchasing a regular powder measure. I have a couple of Hornady measures that I use for regular smokeless powder now. :coffeecom

Bullet Caster
05-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Check out Dixie Gun Works or Track of the Wolf. BC

Dan Cash
05-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Try your Hornady measures and see how accurately they throw a charge. If they don't make you happy, get a Lyman. Save your money and just buy a regular Lyman, not the black powder model. You can ad a larger resivoir to the regular rig if you desire. The drop tube set up with the Lyman is worthless. You will find the Lyman to throw very consistant charges.

DonMountain
05-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Try your Hornady measures and see how accurately they throw a charge. If they don't make you happy, get a Lyman. Save your money and just buy a regular Lyman, not the black powder model. You can ad a larger resivoir to the regular rig if you desire. The drop tube set up with the Lyman is worthless. You will find the Lyman to throw very consistant charges.

So, what you are suggesting is that I don't need a special, non-sparking powder measure? One with all brass parts? That seems to be the only difference between the two Hornady powder measures? :neutral:

joec
05-05-2012, 08:08 PM
I using the Lee Auto Load systems as the guy I bought it from used did. No problem at all as it is anti static also though a plastic. Other than having to use a double disk measuring system it meters perfectly after about 5 or so rounds once filled.

Dan Cash
05-05-2012, 08:34 PM
So, what you are suggesting is that I don't need a special, non-sparking powder measure? One with all brass parts? That seems to be the only difference between the two Hornady powder measures? :neutral:

Yep. You got it.

DonMountain
05-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Of course I assume that all of you that use a steel powder measure for loading Black Powder cartridges have never had a problem with them exploding, and everyone that did have a problem isn't on this web page any more? :violin:

shaune509
05-06-2012, 11:37 PM
just some points to review when asking if you need a special powder drop, imho.
1] static is dependant on the atmospheric and envirmental conditions.
2] you can always ground the measure.
3] where is the spark going to be generated? smooth steel to smooth steel at low speed [ie no heat]
4] lawyers, need i say more?
5] who's to say some guy blew him selfup while smoking and the lawyers ran with it.
this is like the news storys that blame the range fire on some one shooting 22rf at rocks, don't think so.
shaune509

kokomokid
05-08-2012, 08:15 AM
I put a brass hopper tube on my redding and wipe the drum with an anti static dryer sheet before I start loading. Used to have tin foil lineing my plastic hopper. Would not load during a thunder storm or rubbing my feet on carpet.

Dan Cash
05-08-2012, 08:53 AM
I put a brass hopper tube on my redding and wipe the drum with an anti static dryer sheet before I start loading. Used to have tin foil lineing my plastic hopper. Would not load during a thunder storm or rubbing my feet on carpet.

If you put the tin foil on your head, all other precautions are redundant.

WildmanJack
05-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Don,
If you have a few extra bucks lyign around, go on FelaBay and try to get yourself a Belding and Mull. I got one and it is my go to black powder measure. It's amazingly accurate for as old as it is and besides if you're worried about static, it's aluminum and brass. By the way, static won't set off black powder... Many here will agree with me and numerous tests have been done...
Good luck,
Jack

Lead Fred
05-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Hole black is measured by volume, not weight.
TC makes a dandy test tube graduated volume powder measure.

I have a spout on the can, and pour it right into the tube, then down the powder drop.

http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/ehow/images/a07/h9/ak/calculate-grams-volume-chemistry-800x800.jpg

http://www.buffaloarms.com/ItemMedia/10024/10024_69786.jpg

DonMountain
05-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Hole black is measured by volume, not weight.
TC makes a dandy test tube graduated volume powder measure.

I have a spout on the can, and pour it right into the tube, then down the powder drop.

http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/ehow/images/a07/h9/ak/calculate-grams-volume-chemistry-800x800.jpg

http://www.buffaloarms.com/ItemMedia/10024/10024_69786.jpg

Nice drop tube setup? Where did you find the brass tube and how long of a drop is it? :bigsmyl2: