PDA

View Full Version : Thumler AR12 help

cheese1566
05-03-2012, 10:48 PM
I have an older Thumler AR12 rotary tumbler that needed a new lid. I just picked one up last weekend when I visited therockshed in Keystone, SD.

I cannot get this lid to fit into the rubber AR12 barrel.

The opening measures about 5 3/4inches and the lid is 6" in diameter, just as their website lists. http://www.therockshed.com/partsthumlers.html

What am I doing wrong?

I have tried and tried but looks to be oversized...

I really don't want to have to "trim" it down or make one from lexan. Return is no option as the shop is 1 1/2 hours away...

Dark Helmet
05-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Did you loosen/ remove the barrel band? I don't have an AR12, but on the smaller drum with the rubber oring, you would have a heckuva time getting the lid in there if you didn't take it off, it's a snug fit till you pop it in. If I'm not mistaken the clamping band on an AR12 allows you to wet tumble, I bet that would be really snug to be watertight.

ReloaderFred
05-04-2012, 12:15 AM
You can call Tru-Square Metal Products, Inc., who made your tumbler, and ask them. Their toll free number is (800) 225-1017. They are an old fashioned company and don't have a website, so a phone call is the best way to get information on their products.

In case you need the mailing address, it's: P. O. Box 585, Auburn, WA 98071.

Hope this helps.

Fred

cheese1566
05-04-2012, 08:32 AM
I may call them. Hoping someone here had a tight fit also or the same issue.

This unit uses a 6" hose clamp to seal and hold the lid...it's off.

I wonder how old it is and maybe the rubber barrel has maybe "shrunk" and tightened over time.

Moonie
05-04-2012, 09:16 AM
I have a brand new one I can measure for you when I get home.

cheese1566
05-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Quick call to them and the issue should be solved!
They were very helpful on the phone and I was greeted by a real nice lady!

The old barrels are slightly smaller in the opening and can be a pain to get in and out. We both agreed to maybe shave and sand the lid to a smaller diameter to make it function.

Wonderful service!

ReloaderFred
05-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Yep, they do business the old fashioned way and it works for them, and the customer. It's nice to talk to a real person who has knowledge of the product, isn't it?

Fred