PDA

View Full Version : 3 Screw

white eagle
05-03-2012, 05:10 PM
are three screw Rugers worth all the fuss to have one ?
Curious because I have a chance to get a SBH 3 screw unaltered and wondered if its really worth having or is there any big difference it that vs/new model's......[smilie=b:

subsonic
05-03-2012, 05:18 PM
I don't own one, so I can't say for sure, but it sure seems like QC was better back then.

white eagle
05-03-2012, 05:30 PM
that rite there almost make it worth the trouble, Sub....

BruceB
05-03-2012, 05:37 PM
New Model Rugers are surely fine sixguns. I wouldn't turn one down, if in good condition.

HOWEVER, I do believe the Three-Screw models are just a wee bit nicer, and easier to work on. Plus, of course, they're not making them any more....

bob208
05-03-2012, 05:58 PM
i have many 3 screw rugers. never had to ream the cylanders to make them shoot. never had a bad trigger. me and friend in 73 went to all the gun shops and bought all the left over 3 screws we could find in stock. they are not making them anymore as stated.

the biggest problem with them now is they have not been made since 72. that means a lot of chances for kitchen table gunsmiths to work them over. which could mean problems.

so yes i will always take a old 3 screw (unconverted} to a new model.

David LaPell
05-03-2012, 06:28 PM
I have owned four OM blackhawks and one NM, the NM is the only one that I needed to do any trigger work on. Yes they are worth the trouble, every minute of it.
I still regret selling this one.
http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss57/Smith29-2/Picture1075.jpg

kenyerian
05-03-2012, 06:32 PM
can't go wrong with one if it hasn't been abused or modified.

BossHoss
05-03-2012, 06:38 PM
ooooh...the purple on the gate.....purdy.

3 screws are my passion.

If you don't buy it, you will kick yourself in the years to come.

The 3 screw Super BlackHawk 44 is the alpha male of 44's.

You can keep the NM's....give me the four click , 3 screw.

Which Barrel length? If it has the original box, droooool.......

bearcove
05-03-2012, 08:29 PM
My three screws have been good guns. The new models are good guns after you tune them.

rexherring
05-03-2012, 08:48 PM
The one I had in .30 carbine was one of the nicest Rugers I've owned.

bigboredad
05-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Well I used to think they were no big deal until last month I picked up a 3 screw .357 6.5bbl. The only reason I even considered it was because when I was 14 i worked all summer long to by my first center fire handgun can you guess what it was? any way shooting this one sure opened my eyes. Can you say crisp and the blueing is deep and shiney. They are definitely a class act but don't get me wrong I still love my new models.
I really don't think you will be disappointed

tek4260
05-03-2012, 09:47 PM
I have seen several OM Supers for nearly the same price as a New Model Super. This is a no brainer, get the OM.

Once you get it and tear it down to clean and oil it, find an ink pen..........

.... that has the same diameter spring as the trigger return spring and cut it to length to replace the factory spring. Should yield about a 1.5# or less pull.

Another big plus to me is the recessed case heads. Gives a much cleaner look and a touch of class lost with the new models.

tek4260
05-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Sadly, I only own 3 OM's

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_2654.jpg

If I could go back a few years, I would only own Old Models(along with a few NM customs)

rintinglen
05-04-2012, 02:49 AM
Well, there's them that like's em, and them's as don't.

I had 2 that I picked up back in my gun trading days, B.C. (Before Children), a 6 1/2 inch 357 and a 4 5/8 .41 that I got a couple years latter. I didn't find them all that spiffy, so I sold both many years ago with no regrets. That .41 was pretty mean to my hand and the 357 was not in the same class accuracy wise as my S&W m-27. The flat top 44 Special I have today shoots better than either of those did.

HOWEVER, they don't make'em any more. .

There are folks who appreciate the uniqueness of having something that you can't just walk into a store and order, and there are some who want to relive an earlier moment of their lives and there are some who just like a six gun that spells C-O-L-T when you cock it. If it was a fair price, I'd buy it--somebody else will take it off your hands.

white eagle
05-04-2012, 07:09 AM
sadly someone else is going to have the pleasure

targetshootr
05-04-2012, 11:07 PM
I got into flat tops. The worst looking one, a 6 1/2", has a perfect trigger and b/c gap and it shoots. It might be the last gun i'd ever sell. I have a rough looking om 7 1/2" 45 I'd be happy to sell cause I never use it.

contender1
05-06-2012, 11:47 AM
3 screw Rugers.
I happen to have quite a few.
Why?
Well, for starters, they are well built. Easy to work on, and just plain feel "right" in the hands when shooting them. The actions are smooth, and triggers crisp.
When Ruger added more parts, (the transfer design,) yes, it got safer for the folks who do not understand the "load one, skip one, load four" concept. However, those added parts required a total redesign of the internals. The action is not as smooth or feels as "right" as the Old Models.
Yes, I also have many of the New Models with the transfer bar. I do have several shooters that have been worked over to make them feel better. But I only have one pair that have had a SERIOUS action job where they are slicker than a factory Old Model, (3 screw.)
The worst are the old 3 screws, (Old Models) that have been returned to the factory for the safety upgrade. The actions in most of those I have handled have felt really bad, compared to the original 3 screw action.
All in all, once you shoot a few OM 3 screws, and then switch to a NM transfer bar, you WILL understand the differences & why so many of us make such a fuss.

44man
05-06-2012, 01:34 PM
I had an original back in 1956. Do you know how sore I am from kicking myself for selling it?

fecmech
05-06-2012, 02:14 PM
I have a 3 screw SBH that my wife bought me for Christmas in the early 70's and the sales slip shows $107.50. Back then there was an aftermarket outfit that made adjustable trigger stops for the Rugers and I put one in my gun along with doing the trigger. My gun has a beautiful 1.5 lb. trigger with no overtravel, a real joy to shoot!