PDA

View Full Version : Win 70 safety function

BoolitSchuuter
05-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Recently acquired a Winchester M70 in .243. SN indicates it was born in 1965. I think there might be an issue with the safety, but I'm not sure. It seems to be a three position safety. The problem relates to the full aft position. On my Savages, the full aft position locks the trigger and the bolt. On this Winchester, it serves the same function as the center position which only locks the trigger. I realize I'm comparing different manufacturers. I would think principle of operation would be the same, else why have a three position safety?

:coffeecom

Hardcast416taylor
05-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Not sure I understand your question. The Winchester Model 70 safety is a 3 position safety. Fully forward allows the rifle to be fired and the bolt operated. The middle position allows the bolt to be operated , but won`t allow the trigger to fire the cartridge. The full back position both locks the bolt and prevents the rifle from being fired. If any of these positions don`t function as I have just written, take the rifle to a competent gunsmith soon as something isn`t right.Robert

2ndAmendmentNut
05-03-2012, 11:02 AM
If you can still lift the bolt on your M70 when the safety is fully rearward than yes something is wrong.

waksupi
05-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Every one is right. Do not assume it is the safety, though. Someone may have got the trigger out of adjustment enough to cause a malfunction. As was said, take it to a gunsmith.

Mooseman
05-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Being the safety is on the rear of the bolt , it shouldnt be affected by the trigger.
I suspect it may have a broken, or missing bolt lock pin (part #22) in the schematic.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/SchematicDisplay.aspx?schem=/images/schematics/Winchester_70Post64_schem.jpg&name=70+Post+64+(*)

I never use the 3rd position of the safety and seldom use the safety on my model 70's...we carry them without a round chambered and the safety off...

Rich

BoolitSchuuter
05-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys. Looks like a trip to the gunsmith is in order.

:holysheep

waksupi
05-03-2012, 04:12 PM
I was just thinking that possibly the engagement surface wasn't going into proper position for the safety to go full cycle.

BoolitSchuuter
05-03-2012, 06:47 PM
I was just thinking that possibly the engagement surface wasn't going into proper position for the safety to go full cycle.

I've tinkered with a few bolts over the years. I've not tinkered with a Winchester bolt, but I ain't sceered.;) Which engagement surface where?:popcorn: Teach me, Please.

fishhawk
05-03-2012, 06:54 PM
If i remember right the mod 70 bolt needs to be in the cocked position when disassembled or the safety will not work right also assemble in the cocked position.

waksupi
05-03-2012, 07:03 PM
It's been a few years since I've worked on a m-70, so I stop guessing at this point.