PDA

View Full Version : Getting my first setup

Justin Appleseed
05-03-2012, 06:22 AM
Found a used Dillon 650 for 400$ w/no dies, and nothing else at all, just the machine. I know I'm going to get the upgraded handle and strong mount.
I'm going to rely on everyones wisdom and knowledge to point me to what else I need.. I want to be able to reload .380acp to start off and have 600$ to invest. Scales? Lubes? Ect. What do I need? Make me a shopping list. And a couple good books and DVD's. I have been collecting brass, but what bullets, primers, and powder do you also recommend? All help will be much appreciated! God Bless!

lbaize3
05-03-2012, 08:22 AM
A couple of reloading manuals will explain what you need. I suggest electronic scales, They are quick and easy to use and the digital readout keeps you from misreading the small marks on the balance beam scales. You should get carbide sizing dies for all your pistol calibers to allow you to size the brass without a messy lube. You will also find a manual at Dillon Precision that you can download on line. It will detail how to setup and use your 650. Good luck!

Bullet Caster
05-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Welcome to Castboolits. Now you've got the bug and there's no turning back. I agree with above post. Use carbide dies. BC

Calamity Jake
05-04-2012, 08:57 AM
First thing you need to do is get a couple of good load manuals and read, read, read, then put that 650 in a closet and spend some of that $600 on a single stage setup and learn the basics of reloading first. After a year or so of loading that 380 and maybe a couple of other calibers on the single stage then you might be ready to go to that progressive.

Progressives are good for loading large quanities of quality ammo in a short time, but if your not REAL carefull(as with all loading tools) it can and will get you in trouble.

sparky45
05-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Unless you are really below average intellignece, set up that 650 and start learning how to reload quality ammo. There's no need in getting a single stage press to learn on, simply use the 650 as a single stage cycling ONLY ONE round at a time. Pay strict attention to what you are doing and have a RCBS Lock Out Die right after the powder drop, it's a valuable fail safe measure.
That being said, I started with a Lee 1000 and learned how to run it well, then progressed to the Loadmaster(mistake), then back to a Lee single stage Challenger press which is a great tool. With the Challenger press I am able to decap all my brass and not get all that mess on my 650. Once I work upa round on the Challenger that I like, I go into production on the 650. So, I think a good single stage press IS NECESSARY in the total picture as well as a digital scale, calipers and above all a spacious reloading area(bench) because you WILL run out of space. Good Luck and enjoy that 650.

Roundnoser
05-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Calamety Jake hit the nail on the head! -- I don't want to burst your bubble here. I'm sure you are super excited about reloading which is great. However, starting out with a Dillon 650 is like placing a new driver behind the wheel of a Corvette!

Progressive reloading is a complex endeavor. I requires that the operator already have the "basics" mastered. -- If at all possible, I would learn the basics on a single stage kit, such as a Lee Anniversary kit, or the RCBS Partner kit, etc.

OR, if you know a competent person who reloads on a single stage press that would show you the step-by-step, by-the-book basics and let you use his/her equipment to practice, that would be good too.

Let us know how things go! Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Justin Appleseed
05-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Ok well I guess it was for the best, my friend offered me 500$ for the 650XL, sold! I will look around for the other presses mentioned, yes I have two friends who reload, one on a Dillon 550b and the other on a Hornady AP something? One of them mentioned carbide dies as you did here.. But said to get the "expander die" separate? Get a good carbide 3 die set, & a "M" series "bell expander"? I was looking at the Redding Pro Series? I have a good digital scale on the way.. I'm only going to load .380acp to start. What else do I need? You guys are awesome! Oh and I got one of those Sonic cleaners for the brass? Hope that was ok?

Justin Appleseed
05-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Just so y'all know.. The die sets have me confused. I'm going to be loading a lot of .380, then go into 9mm and .38spl
The Redding Pro's have a separate profile crimp die, is this ok? Or should I just get the regular Redding dies? I understand everything else, been watching videos and DL a couple books.

LUBEDUDE
05-06-2012, 01:33 PM
First thing you need to do is get a couple of good load manuals and read, read, read, then put that 650 in a closet and spend some of that $600 on a single stage setup and learn the basics of reloading first. After a year or so of loading that 380 and maybe a couple of other calibers on the single stage then you might be ready to go to that progressive.

Progressives are good for loading large quanities of quality ammo in a short time, but if your not REAL carefull(as with all loading tools) it can and will get you in trouble.

I agree with you Jake.

Why experienced reloaders think ALL newbies are a dumb a$$es I'll never know.

waksupi
05-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Get a single stage to learn reloading. It will make you pay attention to each step, making you learn what each die does, and what ever quirks you need to learn. A progressive is too distracting for a new reloader, and mistakes can and will happen.

LUBEDUDE
05-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Get a single stage to learn reloading. It will make you pay attention to each step, making you learn what each die does, and what ever quirks you need to learn. A progressive is too distracting for a new reloader, and mistakes can and will happen.

For some people.

Some of us CAN walk and chew gum at the same time.

Don't get me wrong I understand the concept totally.

Mistakes happen with SS as well. It's All about paying attention.

Did every reloader here learn to shoot with a single shot 22? A single shot shotgun? A single shot pistol? Well you should have! (sarcasm mode off) That seems to be the attitude of so many experienced reloaders toward new reloaders.

sparky45
05-06-2012, 04:56 PM
I think the reason alot of people are dead set on advising a newb to "start with a single stage press" is because most of them started that way on a Lee. Don't get me wrong, I love my Lee Challenger SS press, but come on, with the proper attention to detail and observation of ALL the processes, AND with the proper safeguards, reloading by a newb on a progressive is easily attainable. Just because uncle Bill got his ear caught in the bullet feeder doesn't mean everyone is stupid. I tend to think that bad things happen to "seasoned" reloaders far more than to newb's simple because seasoned reloaders tend to become more relaxed and at ease with the process; that's when cr*p happens.

Justin Appleseed
05-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Ok.. So while researching all the options for a press, I came across a review by an older gentleman on progressive reloading for beginners. He explained everything, then watched couple hours more on YouTube and I've decided on a Hornady Lock N Load, but still not quite sure about the dies? Are redding dies really worth it? Is it ok to mix an match? Plus which crimp, roll? taper? Read up on powders, will be going with Accurate #2... Is there really a big difference on boolits? Rainer, Sierra, Hornady, Remington? Ect.. Ordered a sonic cleaner, a good digital scale, bullet puller, and CCI standard primers.. I'm reading everything you guys are saying like a hawk so keep it coming! I'm having a great time learning for y'all!

waksupi
05-06-2012, 07:01 PM
For some people.

Some of us CAN walk and chew gum at the same time.

Don't get me wrong I understand the concept totally.

Mistakes happen with SS as well. It's All about paying attention.

Did every reloader here learn to shoot with a single shot 22? A single shot shotgun? A single shot pistol? Well you should have! (sarcasm mode off) That seems to be the attitude of so many experienced reloaders toward new reloaders.

Look back through topics, see which one that people have ruined more guns with.

Love Life
05-06-2012, 07:05 PM
I started on a dillon RL550B. I am not mentally incompetent, and I haven't caused a nuclear detonation at my house or the range...yet.

That being said It doesn't hurt to start on a single stage to learn all the steps and feels of reloading. If I could go back in time I would have started on a single stage and then moved up.
Just my $.02, but I would opt for the Dillon over the Hornady. No real reason why, but my buddy ordered a Hornady when I bought my Dillon. He now reloads on a Dillon.

sparky45
05-06-2012, 07:33 PM

Do you mean which loaders; single stage or progressive or do you mean which reloaders have more - newb's or "seasoned" loaders? That would be a good stat.

sparky45
05-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Ok.. So while researching all the options for a press, I came across a review by an older gentleman on progressive reloading for beginners. He explained everything, then watched couple hours more on YouTube and I've decided on a Hornady Lock N Load, but still not quite sure about the dies? Are redding dies really worth it? Is it ok to mix an match? Plus which crimp, roll? taper? Read up on powders, will be going with Accurate #2... Is there really a big difference on boolits? Rainer, Sierra, Hornady, Remington? Ect.. Ordered a sonic cleaner, a good digital scale, bullet puller, and CCI standard primers.. I'm reading everything you guys are saying like a hawk so keep it coming! I'm having a great time learning for y'all!

Excellent choice Justin and well thought out. Congrats!

GT1
05-06-2012, 08:58 PM
The folks that don't read, don't follow instructions well, don't set up a plan and follow the process and throw safety out the window.

Those folks? Doesn't matter what kind of press they have.

Now the ones that take it seriously and understand the potential dangers and pitfalls and read through a couple manuals, watch videos, find places to do a lot of research? Those guys will do just fine with a nice turret or progressive and will be turning out safe ammo in no time.

That paying your dues to the reloading gods on a single stage rhetoric is just that.

LUBEDUDE
05-07-2012, 02:54 PM
The folks that don't read, don't follow instructions well, don't set up a plan and follow the process and throw safety out the window.

Those folks? Doesn't matter what kind of press they have.

Now the ones that take it seriously and understand the potential dangers and pitfalls and read through a couple manuals, watch videos, find places to do a lot of research? Those guys will do just fine with a nice turret or progressive and will be turning out safe ammo in no time.

That paying your dues to the reloading gods on a single stage rhetoric is just that.

Very well put!

Especially your last sentence.

Justin Appleseed
05-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks for all the help, I have my list and will be placing my orders soon, the only thing left is a reloading book, I have two already but would like to know what book is best as far as powder measure, boolit weight, velocity, ect.. I'm not getting into Zombie loads just yet, I would like to stay between the lines for awhile till I'm comfortable with the whole process technically and mentally. Again thanks for all your help!

LUBEDUDE
05-08-2012, 12:59 PM
It is usually reccomended the more, the better, so you can compare loads between books. Sometimes there are misprints. And each book can not publish ALL powders and ALL loads.

Just like powders, everyone has their favorites.

I like Hodgdon, which you can download many loads offline for free.
I also like Hornady, Speer, and Nosler.

If you can find a gunshop with some in stock, unwrapped that you can look through, do it. You want to look for case measurements and overall length, etc of each caliber. Ballistic tables are nice as well as the more information the better.

You willl find that extra information invaluable.

Good Luck

Justin Appleseed
05-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Redding 3-Die Set 380 ACP. Quick Change Powder Die
Accurate No. 2 Powder One Shot Sonic Clean One Shot Case Lube
Hornady Lock-N-Load Magnum Sonic Cleaner Hornady Lock-N-Load Bench Scale Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Press
Hornady Shell Plate #16

I have my own brass I've been saving, and I have already ordered some Boolits.. I picked up 2 more books, so what else do I need? What's missing?
Should have everything in the next two weeks!