PDA

View Full Version : Reloading For 30-06

Trail Finder
05-03-2012, 01:58 AM
So all my buddies are building what they would consider sniper rifles. They usually shoot between 2-300 yards. I would like to cast and reload some boolets for that range to shoot from my 03-A3.
My plan is to shoot their pants off. Cast boolits, open sights. Sounds good in theory, looks good on paper.

So what do you guys think?

What loads work for you?

Larry Gibson
05-03-2012, 11:57 AM
311299 or 314299 (if the throat/leade will take a .303 - .304 diameter nose; many will, many won't) over4895 with a 3/4 gr cacron filler in well fire formed NS'd cases. Start at 28 gr and work up in 1/2 gr increments. Best accuracy will be in the 1850 - 1950 fps range. Should do nicely to 300 yards+ yards.

If you're shooting against heavy barreled target grade rifle used by someone who can shoot you my have a bit of a "challenge" with the M1903A3 as issued. Might be fun to give then a run for their money though:D

Larry Gibson

Trail Finder
05-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Most of the guys have AR's in 223. Most are also new shooters. Last time out I put some pressure on the guys with Grandpa's 54cal muzzeloader at 250 yards.

Char-Gar
05-03-2012, 06:13 PM
2 to 300 yards is not that far. The round is capable to doing the job if you are up to the task. It will all come down to the nut behind the butt plate.

Trail Finder
05-04-2012, 12:12 AM
I have Lyman 31141 and Ideal 311467 moulds on loan. Would one work better than the other? Or should I try both?

excess650
05-04-2012, 07:07 AM
Try 'em both. Try 27-29gr H322. Make sure the boolits are large enough to fill the throat, and seat 'em out to just touch or lightly engage the rifling.

Char-Gar
05-04-2012, 07:11 AM
I have had great luck with 311467 in four groove 03a3 barrels. Not so much in 2 groove. Find a powder and load that will keep the bullet sonic all the way to the target.

Larry Gibson
05-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Most of the guys have AR's in 223. Most are also new shooters. Last time out I put some pressure on the guys with Grandpa's 54cal muzzeloader at 250 yards.

You should be able to really put the fear in 'em with the 'A3 then, should be fun[smilie=l:

Try all 3 bullets but I'll bet the 311467 will come out best!

Larry Gibson

madsenshooter
05-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Trail Finder, you sound a lot like me. I really enjoy giving the kids a hard time using a 116yr old Krag rifle! Last time, they said I had an unfair advantage in getting the first shot off because I had my rifle shouldered, bolt open, magazine open but full. They made me take the rifle off my shoulder. I think that first shot was scaring some of the kids! Don't see how such an old manually operated rifle could have an advantage, still only had 60 seconds to get 10 away, I needed that first shot!

Shiloh
05-05-2012, 08:30 AM
2 to 300 yards is not that far. The round is capable to doing the job if you are up to the task. It will all come down to the nut behind the butt plate.

+1 Char-Gar.

Shiloh

Jack Stanley
05-05-2012, 09:22 AM
If they are going to rely on optics to make up for a lack of shooting skill , then you are going to wear them out with the loads Larry has given you . I am very impressed by what a 314299 will do and I can just imagine a bullet with the bearing surface like the longer Loverins are capable of .

Heavy bullets in the aught six at moderate velocities are going to be easier on the shooter than one would imagine . This will allow you more trigger time at less cost and you will be an even better shooter . During you "compititions" with them insure they have to stand on their hind legs to get the shots off . Even though three hundred yard isn't that far it will sort out the men from the boys I bet .

You guys don't know how much enjoyment I get hearing about putting pressure on them with a muzzleloader . I would be laughing my guts out watching Madsen shooter putting the hurt to the compitition with an old Krag and cast lead .

I'd love to hear more of these shoots :bigsmyl2:

Jack

Trail Finder
05-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Do I need a special set of dies for reloading cast boolits? Lyman claims that they have a three die set that was designed to open the case mouth to accept cast boolits. They state that other brands don't create enough of an opening to accept a cast boolit without deformation.

What die set do you guys use or recomend?

GabbyM
05-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Do I need a special set of dies for reloading cast boolits? Lyman claims that they have a three die set that was designed to open the case mouth to accept cast boolits. They state that other brands don't create enough of an opening to accept a cast boolit without deformation.

What die set do you guys use or recomend?

I use a Lyman M die to expand the necks on all my cast boolit rifle cases.

If I were you I'd set up a reduced range NRA high power course. Makes them shoot from real world positions into scoring rings sized large enough to negate some of the modern rifles theoretical better accuracy.