PDA

View Full Version : Its been gone over and over again but not this way!

Budmen
05-02-2012, 12:52 PM
SO I have a stuck ramrod:bigsmyl2:

I know search search and take the advice people have given. Nothing works!!!!

First letme tell you what it is. It is a navy arms 58cal thats all i know. The gun was under water in a flood about 3 months ago. All rusted but still I thought servicable.

The gun was brought to me to clean. Since I knew nothing about these ol timers I have muzzleloaders but not muskets, I used the ball seating end of the ramrod as a jag:veryconfu

The bore was rusted so the patch got caught about 2/3 of the way down. I used hoppies #9+ to wet the bore and the patch before I put it down.I struggled and struggled with it and only suceeded in pushing it to the bottom.

I cannot get the nipple out someone turned the corners[smilie=s:

Things I have tried:
1 pop musket cap

2 charge threw the nipple 5-10 grains fffg all it does is blows the cap off

3 put a tee handle on and pull in a vise all that did was break the threads off the brass ramrod

4 Soak overnight with hoppies

5 soak for 2 days with pb blaster

6 soak for 3 days with kroil

7 tried to break patch down in a jar with bleach somehow I have patches that arent effected by bleach.....

8 rig a piece of tubing to the nipple hit it with 120psi air only blows the tubing off the nipple

9 put vice grips on the 1/2 of brass left sticking out now i can put my legs against my bench and pull my whole body strength 6'3" 260# Wont budge.

I have no other options then to ask the experts either A how to get nipple out so I can grease zerk it or B if someont knows of something else I can try to get this bad boy out....

O one other thing I can turn the ramrod both directions with the vice grips

Please help me out here I dont want to have this gun ruined Thanks allot for reading the long post[smilie=b:

05-02-2012, 01:58 PM
How about a new barrel.:kidding:

First I'd try to get the nipple out. It's going to have to come out at some time anyway. I'd drill a hole down the center of the nipple for an EZ out. Use a bit a little smaller than threads- just to be safe. Heat the nipple and surround pretty hot and let cool a couple of times. Add kroil each time the area is cooling down. Then try an EZ out of the right size for the bit used. That should get the nipple remains out. If the jag can be pushed back down to the breech I'd try shooting it out. First I'd try breaking as much of the rod off as possible for minimum amount jag and rod left in bore. Dribble in maybe 20 grains of BP through the nipple hole. Push jag and rod remains down on top of powder. Screw in new nipple. Cap and fire. I'd use the tire and string remote firing method. If 20 gr doesn't get it out then try 30 gr. Repeat above process. At some point the jag/rod will come out.

SamTexas49
05-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Tried pulling the breech plug ? Then could see/soak/drive out the dang thing.

tubb_ooh_lard
05-02-2012, 09:34 PM
i got into the same predicament a couple years ago with my nephews rifle .

what i ended up doing was rethreading a grease nipple the same threads as the regular nipple an pumped that sucker full of grease till the rod started moving

Budmen
05-02-2012, 09:34 PM
I dont have a clue how to pull the breech plug on a sidelock?

Omnivore
05-03-2012, 01:33 AM
The breech plug is simply threaded into the barrel. Remove the barrel from the stock, place it in a vice with some protection to prevent scoring the barrel, likewise get hold of the plug and screw it out. It may be pretty well stuck too, though. If it was installed correctly it will have some anti seize grease on the threads and it may come out OK. Once it's out you can push the ram rod through the breech end. Use a brush to clean initially.

Removing the nipple is of course a requirement, so I might try that first as 405 says.

For what it's worth, I've been down this road with swabs in musical instruments hundreds of times. There is one bit of advice that works EVERY time, and yet no one will take it without ruining something first;

Don't get hasty. Don't force it. Let the sucker dry out. Then the swab will slide right out.

People's failure to take that easy advice has made me a lot of money.

For guns it's a bit different. Oil or grease don't dry out too easily, but if it's a BP solvent it's probably mostly water and the above applies. (cloth swells when it's wet, you see)

Anyway; yeah-- pull the breech plug if all else fails. It's really not a huge deal.

carbine
05-03-2012, 07:19 AM
PM sent.

59sharps
05-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Budman what part of NY are you in?

05-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Obviously the most direct method of removal is to unscrew the breech plug. But, I have seen TOO many MLs badly gouged and buggered up by attempts at removing the plug without the proper vises and wrenches. No harm in giving it a go just be aware it may require a bunch of torque.

Budmen
05-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Just south of the Adirondacks 30 min west of albany

Rick Hodges
05-03-2012, 01:46 PM
I once broke a ramrod off with jag and patch left in the barrel. An air compressor blow gun with the rubber tip applied to the nipple got it out. It also drove it through the back garage wall. Be real careful, and remember the rule about letting the muzzle cover something you value.

idahoron
05-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Screw in a grease zerk and pump it out with the grease pump using hydraulics. Ron

Budmen
05-04-2012, 08:12 AM
At this point its going to the gunsmith I tried unscrewing breech plug and it slipped in vice and broke the rear sight off hopefully he will get everything done at once now. Thanks for all the ideas and help you guys are great!

59sharps
05-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Just south of the Adirondacks 30 min west of albany

Try calling Larry @ http://www.romanorifle.com/

Hang Fire
05-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Puit the RR in a padded vise, tighten securely and get western pulling on the weapon.

Budmen
05-04-2012, 11:36 PM
59 sharps that seems to be a good 2 hrs from me that wouldn't be larry gibson would it?

Hangfire I have bo idea what RR in the vise and get western pulling the weapon mean?

troy_mclure
05-05-2012, 10:16 PM
He means clamp the ramrod in a vibe and pull the heck out of the gun.

KCSO
05-05-2012, 10:41 PM
You take the barrel off the gun and unscrew the breech plug and TAP the ramrod out the breech, no problem, done it may times. If the barrel is that badly rusted yo may need to either lap or rebarrel. The ball end is NOT a jag and you are just pulling everyting tighter trying to pull it out the front.

Grapeshot
05-06-2012, 01:08 PM
This worked for me. Lock the tang/breech plug in the vice. Use lead or rubber jaws so not to screw up the breech plug. Then use a strap wrench on the barrel and turn the barrel counter enclockwise. You might need to use a cheater bar and/or some reisen on the barrel to get a good firm grip on the barrel. Sometimes a strip of chamise cloth under the strap wrench will help to protect the finish. Hope this helps.

59sharps
05-06-2012, 10:26 PM
[QUOTE=Budmen;1699693]59 sharps that seems to be a good 2 hrs from me that wouldn't be larry gibson would it?

NO its Larry Romano

I'm over in Davenport but not around much. getting ready to head to va in a week.
you may want to buy a breach plug wrench. Can be gotten from S & S Firearms.
It sound like the PATCH went thru the ram rod and is wading up when you try to withdraw it. it my come out if you have some one help you pull. one person on the rod one one the gun. been there done that. Hav you tied karosene down the bore.

Budmen
05-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Finally got it I could turn the ramrod so Why not put a drill on it and spin till the patch ripped Hey it worked like a charm 15 sec and out it cam lil worm action and I got the ripped patch Whew all done now only the sight I broke off That is a job for someone who has the tools Thanks Again for all your help

Lee
05-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Propane torch. Heat the nipple only, until it is red hot. Let cool. Use kroil, or brake fluid, before, during, after. Repeat. Take the nipple out with your thumb and forefinger.
Old timers used to get the badly rusted bleed valve off a drum brake cylinder this way. I didn't believe it either, until I did it myself. Couldn't believe it. (That was after I snapped off my share of the little buggers)[smilie=w:

Newtire
05-23-2012, 09:06 PM
SO I have a stuck ramrod:bigsmyl2:

I know search search and take the advice people have given. Nothing works!!!!

First letme tell you what it is. It is a navy arms 58cal thats all i know. The gun was under water in a flood about 3 months ago. All rusted but still I thought servicable.

The gun was brought to me to clean. Since I knew nothing about these ol timers I have muzzleloaders but not muskets, I used the ball seating end of the ramrod as a jag:veryconfu

The bore was rusted so the patch got caught about 2/3 of the way down. I used hoppies #9+ to wet the bore and the patch before I put it down.I struggled and struggled with it and only suceeded in pushing it to the bottom.

I cannot get the nipple out someone turned the corners[smilie=s:

Things I have tried:
1 pop musket cap

2 charge threw the nipple 5-10 grains fffg all it does is blows the cap off

3 put a tee handle on and pull in a vise all that did was break the threads off the brass ramrod

4 Soak overnight with hoppies

5 soak for 2 days with pb blaster

6 soak for 3 days with kroil

7 tried to break patch down in a jar with bleach somehow I have patches that arent effected by bleach.....

8 rig a piece of tubing to the nipple hit it with 120psi air only blows the tubing off the nipple

9 put vice grips on the 1/2 of brass left sticking out now i can put my legs against my bench and pull my whole body strength 6'3" 260# Wont budge.

I have no other options then to ask the experts either A how to get nipple out so I can grease zerk it or B if someont knows of something else I can try to get this bad boy out....

O one other thing I can turn the ramrod both directions with the vice grips

Please help me out here I dont want to have this gun ruined Thanks allot for reading the long post[smilie=b:

To get the nipple out, take a disposable 12 point 1/4" drive socket just a little smaller than the nipple, and drive it on. It cuts splines into the outside of the nipple and the pounding loosens it a little. Unscrew it with your 1/4" drive ratchet. Stuff in the powder and put in new nipple, the rest is history.

bob208
05-24-2012, 06:33 AM
to get the nipple out sears now has hardend nut removers. i have a set and they have never faied me.

now that you have it out make a barrel vise. make a wrench for the breech plug. remove plug lapp barrel. clean out the channel from the nipple.

i have been working on guns for many years muzzleloaders the most. somerhing stuck in the barrel is the most common problem i have run into. you would not belive some of the things people stuck down a barrel to try to clean it. or try to get something out that is stuck.