PDA

View Full Version : I know it's been covered, Lube recipes?

okiecruffler
04-11-2007, 03:00 PM
I know it's been hit on more than a few times. I just spent 45 minutes looking at old threads and quite frankly my head hurts. I just got back from the farmers market where I bought about 2 pounds of beeswax with the intention of putting together some lube and trying pan lubing (up until now I've been using Lee liquid alox). Anyone have an easy recipe for a lube suitable for things such as the 32-20, 357, 4mag, 45 acp? Easier the better, I am an Okie after all.

Maven
04-11-2007, 03:40 PM
You may want to try 3 parts beeswax to 1 part ATF (described in the current issue of "The Fouling Shot"), which is will take plain-base CB's to 1,800fps. Btw, the recipe was developed by Norm Duesterhoeft of the Cast Bullet Association.

357maximum
04-11-2007, 03:40 PM
For sane loads in the above with a simple recipe it is hard to beat:

3 parts beeswax
1 to 2 parts vaseline

simple and it works, ypu may have to adjust the vaseline a tad for your guns likings, and for your style of pan lubing...I keep mine lean on the vaseline, but that is me..

Billairgun
04-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Here is a web site that might give you some ideas. You should probably see what someone who knows what their doing says about these first though. http://www.bulletlubes.com/

okiecruffler
04-11-2007, 05:34 PM
I think I'll give that vasaline recipe a try since I have a jar of that somewhere. Thanks guys, I knew there was a simple answer.

piwo
04-11-2007, 06:51 PM
I'm disappointed with every "pan lube" ratio of beeswax/Crisco or beeswax/extra virgin olive oil I've tried. It's all so damn sticky, but heck, I can't get it to stay into the grooves of the REAL bullets I've cast. I let the wax set up anywhere from one hour to 24 hours, but same result: When I push them through, the grease bands are not full. I gotta rub the sticky stuff by hand into it.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I've used anywhere between 70/30 wax to oil, to 40/60 wax to oil. This is for muzzle loader conicals and minies.....

mag_01
04-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Paraffin (candles etc.) the weakest link in the mix but it will harden your lube. Like 20 to 40 % Paraffin to Beeswax. --- Mag

jonk
04-11-2007, 08:12 PM
I have nothing but nice things to say about feelix lube as described on this site... easy to make, the only thing that you might have trouble finding at your local pharmacy is lanolin but they can probably order it. Mine did.

jhalcott
04-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Lanolin, ain't that the stuff in NIPPLE lube?Check in the baby department of your local WalMart!

44woody
04-11-2007, 11:00 PM
alox/bees wax one I like is alox350 / and bees wax give me a pm and I can help you out on some alox350 :castmine: 44Woody

buck1
04-12-2007, 12:31 AM
Lots of folks here have very strong opinions on lubes (including me). But I havent pan lubed
. Buuuuuuut I once made a lube that would most likely meet your needs . Quick and easy to make, and get supplies for.
melt 50/50 vasoline/Paraffin(+ 1 TBS of dextron atf if you wish) and cool. The guy I got the recipe from liked it very well.
I like the sticky stuff so I used it as flux and not lube. (makes great outside flux too).
Dont forget to make it outside! It burns quick,easy, and hot!....FWIW>>>>>>>>>Buck

MtJerry
04-12-2007, 05:57 AM
This lube recipe was given to me by a friend. I've taken it up to 2000fps in a 357 Maximum and it worked well. Easy to make too.

8oz Beeswax
4oz Safflower Oil
2ox Hoppes Elite Gun Oil

piwo
04-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll have to change my method of operation, as I don't use petrolium products in my flinter, but may end up doing so. I"ve heard nothing but wonderful things about Felix lube and a couple others, but would never consider them becasuse of the petroliem based products used. There is a "dry patch lube" discussed on anther thread and it uses water soluble oil. I'd like to try this, so if I use that, I guess I can throw my resistance to using petrolium products altogether.

This may take some serious thought, a shot or two of good Polish wodka, then just move on............... :brokenima

felix
04-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Piwo, the solvent portion of the lube does not have to be petro based. Use jojoba oil in lieu of baby oil, III, etc. And, for BP use, there would be no need for castor oil which in combination with petro, would eliminate any and all extraneous/extended heating requirements to polymerize the castor oil so it won't leak out of the cold lube containing petro. .... felix

okiecruffler
04-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Well I gave the beeswax/vasoline a try today, seemed to work prety well. Had to use an expanded 44 case to cut out the bullets or the lube would come out of the groove when I pushed them thru. Messy sticky and a PITA. Must say I like the Lee liquid alox better. But we'll see how these shoot.

357maximum
04-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Well I gave the beeswax/vasoline a try today, seemed to work prety well. Had to use an expanded 44 case to cut out the bullets or the lube would come out of the groove when I pushed them thru. Messy sticky and a PITA. Must say I like the Lee liquid alox better. But we'll see how these shoot.

Add more wax until they pop out when cool, IF IF your accuracy will let you

Messy gooey and sticky is not a requirement in a good lube, most of my mixes are "DRY" compared to some...

the keys to what you are doing is in the mix and in the timing of removal from the pan...you will have to play with it till you are happy.

The recipe is a general mix for a reason....I am always screwing with ratios till I get what i want..it is normal in my eyes...keep playing...you will get what works for YOU.

Michael

yodar
04-14-2007, 08:43 PM
From a professional caster in Europe I met on another list Adrian P.

Lithi-Bee
1:1 Lithium grease to beeswwax (a tacky lube I call Adrian's Goo)

and from a professional SAECO mold distributor: Saeco green hard lube

1 OR MORE GREEN CRAYONS
1 LB PARAFFIN
1/2 BOTTLE STP
1 LB BEESWAX

Yodar

felix
04-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Yodar, what is the percentage of the lithium in the lithium grease? Was the grease made with lithium stearate? If so, the percentage of stearate would suffice for an answer. TIA ... felix

yodar
04-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Yodar, what is the percentage of the lithium in the lithium grease? Was the grease made with lithium stearate? If so, the percentage of stearate would suffice for an answer. TIA ... felix

Heck Felix, I just went down to Sears and got a grease gun cartridge of lithium auto grease . That's how Adrian does it. I made such a big batch I poured all of it and it will be centuries before it's gone. It smells NASTY

I grease gun cartridge was 1 lb the beeswax was 1 lb

felix
04-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Yeah, Yodar, the smell is the number one turn-off for me for any kind of car lube. III tranny is good for our purposes, but I just cannot fathom the resulting smell it has, no matter how minor in the final lube. ... felix

piwo
04-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Felix Lube formula

2 Tablespoons mineral oil
1 Tablespoon castor oil
1 Tablespoon Ivory, or homemade soap (grated)
1 Tablespoon Lanolin
Beeswax - Piece approximately 3 1/2" X 3 1/2" X 1 "

Heat mineral (baby) oil until it starts to smoke.

Add castor oil, and stir continuously for 1/2 hour.

Sliver the soap, and stir into the mixture a little at a time, until melted.

Piwo, the solvent portion of the lube does not have to be petro based. Use jojoba oil in lieu of baby oil, III, etc. And, for BP use, there would be no need for castor oil which in combination with petro, would eliminate any and all extraneous/extended heating requirements to polymerize the castor oil so it won't leak out of the cold lube containing petro. .... felix

Thanks felix.. Question then: If I eliminate the castor oil, do I replace that with additional jojoba or lanolin? Eliminating half or one third of the oils I would imagine would change the overall properties of the mix. Your lube has legendary acclaim and I would certainly try a "non petrol" based version

Thanks to all as well for the patience and help. Having only taken a single chemistry class is high school, this metallurgy and lube chemistry has me at a loss......:(

carpetman
04-17-2007, 10:49 AM
Piwo---Felix lube has legendary acclaim. Wow that's minimizing it. To start of with it's Felix WORLD famous bullet lube. This stuff is known about in parts of the world where they don't even have computers. Recently in fact currently,there is a thread where RCBS is being knocked. A first. Freedom Arms is taking a hit. Midway(understandably)as with Lee takes a bunch of hits. I've read a few posts where Leupold took a hit. There is not one hit on the internet anywhere against FWFBL--(Felix World Famous Bullet Lube) and you just call it legendary. There's got to be a stronger description,but I don't know what it would be.

piwo
04-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Tough audience. First time I every got chastised for telling someone he had legendary acclaim :shock: :)